Highlights from The 10th Post-IPNC Bob Wood Memorial Throwdown features the 2015 Oregon Vintage

I think that was a side effect of working in the Scott Paul space. It’s all corks from 2016 onward.

1 Like

Out of the frying pan and into the fire…

I don’t see myself in Oregon during IPNC, but am open to finding a few bottles to donate to the cause in the future.

-as for screwcaps, they do age. Just slower, and differently in a fresher, less tertiary manner.

2 Likes

I want the tertiary dirt flavors!!!

How many love older pinot like that vs. hell no fresh only, please?

I just sent a future throwdown planning survey out to past attendees. If you’ve been to one but didn’t get the survey in your email, please send me a DM.

tx.

2 Likes

Awesome :sunglasses:

The Scott Paul wines were delicious. For drinking today, I would go with the Walter Scott Temperance Hill, the Scott Paul La Paulee, Violin WV, and Denison Cellars Johnson Creek.

Loved Vincent’s THV as well.

2 Likes

I like both…

2 Likes

Thanks all for posting notes so I can vicariously experience the event.
I was going to say “hope to see you all next year, even if I need to buy a custom made Hazmat suit which allows for wine consumption” (I have a 15% heart function and am still avoiding all indoor, non-masked, events); BUT considering Steve Miller’s survey, perhaps I could host an outdoor event for 8 to 12 people with just a bottle per person.
I’m open to OR Chard or Pinot…

HELL YES to this suggestion!

SO TRUE!

Had one about 4 hours ago at Kelly Fox. Quite good.

With the heat out there, It was probably good that you stayed away.

I completely missed this. Wish I had known.

A great time as always - thanks to Steve for coordinating. Nice to meet some new folks (even Todd champagne.gif) and see some old friends after a couple year hiatus. Just a great mix of people, snacks, and wine.

My notes never hold a candle to others but I will agree the Maresh flight was tops with the Scott Paul Maresh as WOTD. As other noted in several cases the AVA was difficult to call, one of the pleasures of blind tasting. Some board faves like Vincent and Goodfellow showed well, as did Belle Pente. I I also enjoyed some new labels like Violin. Some notable bonus pre-pours including 93 Cristom Temperance Hill, 07 and 08 Matello, and a beautiful Laherte Petit Meslier. Glad the tradition continues, and I look forward to next year!

Watch event planner for details on next year.

Fantasy event. Stoked I snagged a seat next to Frenchie and his crew. Really fascinating to taste the vintage. The wines were impressive almost across the board, and youthful and you’d hope. Definitely wines you can drink now in many cases but I’m way more excited about the long term with this vintage than I expected. I loved how the fruit came in for me in 15, others told me they found it a little ripe. Definitely not a shy vintage but such freshness and structure. Always great to see many familiar faces from years past. What a great crew. Just missed Woodman.

I agree, though I have to admit that the 2019 Royal Ann Block was a little light and not quite as complete as many of their other wines. Lacked a bit of depth, but still, a lovely wine with good aromatics.

I haven’t yet looked at responses to the planning survey. One of the questions asks about a potential repeat of 2008. Was a highly regarded and collected vintage. The wines weren’t “ready” when we had our previous throwdown with the vintage. Next year would make it a 15-year lookback. Longer than we had with the 2002 retrospective (another highly collected vintage).

For context:

2002 throwdown was 12 years later in 2014.

2007 was 4 years and 10 years

2005 was 7 years

2004 was 9 years

2008 was 7 years

2010 was 6 years

2011 was 6 years

2012 was 7 years

2015 was 7 years

Notice that 6 & 7 years is the most common look back in our short history. We deliberately avoided a couple of vintages (2003, 2006, 2009). We’ll likely pass up 2014 & 2016 too, but I’ll learn more when I report back on the community input from the survey. I’ll send out a reminder in a few days. I’d like to see input from at least 1/3 of past attendees. right now we’re at just 1/5. The questions do require researching your cellar so the average response time to the short 5-question survey is 3 minutes.

Tertiary flavors come with time under screwcap. My 2009 and 2010 have plenty! I prefer the bottle consistency and lack of TCA that I get with screwcaps.

Why not 2014 and 2016? The 14’s I’ve had recently are showing beautifully! And yep, I did complete the survey.