Heritage Blind Wine Challenge Finale

Not surprising that half the finalists are on here.

Count me among the very impressed! That some of these folks have made the finals more than once tells me there is some deep talent there. When I blind taste it’s 90% luck. Well done!

A big thank you to Frank, Mike and the Heritage team for continuing to host these awesome events. It was a great night and I was only mildly disappointed to finish second by only 5 points until looking through my book the next day to find 15 points that hasn’t been included in my score. My thoughts on the wines:

Wine 1: 2003 Michel Niellon Batard-Montrachet
Some oak and a bit of reduction had me thinking Burgundy right off the bat. The flavors were big and rich, but also with good balance. From a warmer vintage and went with 2012 PYCM Meursault Perrieres

Wine 2: 2003 Michel Niellon Chevalier-Montrachet
A nutty, ripe and fruity nose had me initially thinking Rhone, but with air gained some focus. A warm vintage, rich, fat Grand Cru went with 2005 Jadot Montrachet

Wine 3: 1985 DRC Richebourg
Had a distinct tart cherry thing going on with sweet, silky and seamless flavors. This was the last wine I wrote in my book and may have overthought it a bit. 1997 Giacosa Barolo

Wine 4: 1983 Lafleur
Probably the most surprising wine of the night as guesses were all over the map. This had a quite mature, slightly volatile nose and plenty of sweet fruit on the palate so I went with an older California Cab, 1997 Harlan.

Wine 5: 2010 Groffier Bonnes Mares
I had this as Burgundy from the first sniff, black cherry, spice and a trace of wood. Supple, relatively big bodied flavors also had a nice sense of elegance which lead me to Chambolle, 2010 Vogue Musigny.

Wine 6: 2004 Margaux
A hint of bell pepper had me think left bank with a light floral character leading me to Margaux. Mid-weight, balanced and nicely lingering flavors reaffirmed my initial thought, but off by a couple years, 2000 Margaux.

Wine 7: 1997 Bryant Family
Very ripe, fruit driven aromas lead into the rich, sweet and full bodied flavors. Certainly from California and originally thinking SQN Grenache, but finally settled on 2007 Screaming Eagle.

Wine 8: 2004 SQN Poker Face
An unmistakable Syrah nose here, but its also pretty ripe with noticeable oak had me leaning to a riper styled Northern Rhone so went with 2010 Guigal La Mouline.

Also want to thank Jay Miller for bring a couple killer bottles including the 1999 Soldera which was probably my WOTN.

That Soldera was amazing.

As the New York Regional Champion the first year, who missed going this year by one 5 points (that’s OK, it was the other Jay’s turn, and the FKALBTG crew was represented again), I can now reveal my secret. Whatever wine sucks the most, write down Burgundy.

With me, it’s 100% embarrassment.

I woke up in Bangkok a week and half ago to an email saying one of the top 3 NYC finishers couldn’t make the finals and since I was #4 could I attend. I waited for Arnold to wake up and confirm that he could watch the dogs before accepting despite having 2 wine dinners planned between my return and this event. If only one of the Heritage wines had been riesling…

Thank you both to the organizers and all the attendees. It was a marvelously fun evening. And congratulations again to Shang!

185 points put me in last place.

Niellon 2003 Batard Montrachet - Once I saw the vintage I was shocked by how much I liked this. Correctly called it as Batard Montrachet though I guessed 2004.

Niellon 2003 Chevalier Montrachet - this was much more vintage influenced, to the extent that I initially identified it as a Rhone white. My opinion shifted as it sat in the glass but I went with the “first guess is best” rule.

Drc Richebourg 1985 - My first Richebourg ever (unless you count a corked Mongeard Mugneret which I had lovingly stored for over 15 years) and my first DRC in 18 years. I’m starting to understand why I don’t do well in the finals as I simply never drink the level of wines that are being poured. Obviously pinot but there’s a lot of ripeness and even a small touch of heat so I guessed CA pinot. I liked this unlike most tasters wasn’t wowed by it. Time to turn in my Burg lovers card. On the other hand I recall Tom Reddick saying Richebourg is not his favorite DRC and he has a lot more DRC experience than I do. Still, overjoyed to have finally tried one.

LaFleur 1983 - I got some toasted oak on this which reminded me of some lighter vintage Rotys I’ve had so that was my guess. But guesses were all over the place on this wine.

Groffier bonnes mares 2010 - Liked this a lot. I was unimpressed by Groffier back in the 90s so I stopped buying them. Looks like they’ve gotten much better. Didn’t think there would be 2 Burgundies so I went Barolo.

Margaux 2004 - my favorite wine of the blind selection though it seemed a lot older than 2004. I went with 1982 LMHB.

1997 Bryant- feh. No idea, As always when I don’t like a wine and have no idea I guessed Chateauneuf. Improved from release when it was indistinguishable from a chocolate milkshake.

2004 sqn poker face - young, big, tannic. I went with Napa Cabernet.

Non blind

As always I make no pretense to being anything other than an opinionated AFWE sort of person…

1997 chapoutier Le meal - skipped this as my glasses were full and I’m not a Chapoutier fan anyway

2006 chapoutier Le meal - ditto

“1996 Jayer Cros Parantoux” - rich, a touch dirty, ripe. Not bad.

2006 hudelot richebourg - Very pretty wine now and I’d say it has great potential for the future.

1983 Palmer - probably my WOTN. Everything you want from a mature Bordeaux. Just kept getting better in the glass.

2005 Palmer - very good, lots of potential but young.

1999 Soldera Case Basse - One of my contributions. I was concerned that having it in checked luggage that morning would shake up sediment too much but this was the best showing from the case in years. Maybe I’ll give my remaining bottles a Mollydooker shake before opening.

1997 Pergole torte - corked. Aargh! I love PT…

2003 Pavie - OMG, that’s disgusting

2005 Troplong Mondot - not nearly as bad as the Pavie but tannic, big, borderline objectionable

1999 Musar - my other contribution. Love this vintage of Musar.

2005 chapoutier Le pavilion - 99% of the time I find Chapoutier wines a bit dull. This is no exception.

2003 Abreu Thorevilos - Chocolately oak

2000 Colgin Herb Lamb - Exotic creamy oak

2014 Vineyardist Diamond Mountain - A very big wine that manages some complexity. I wouldn’t buy it but would be curious to try it in 20 years.

2005 SQN 17th Nail In My Cranium - The protoplasmic horror slowly bubbles up growing larger and larger as you gaze frozen in horror realizing too late that you should never have come to the haunted swamp at midnight.

Anyway, really fun evening and the steak was much better this year. F1 Wagyu which some googling reveals to be 50% Wagyu and 50% other breed (usually Angus). Most common type of Wagyu in the US. My rare order came back medium rare which was fine and much better than last year. A touch oversalted for my taste. Caesar salad still cold and tasteless, I wonder if they allow BYOA? A few don Bocartes would improve it no end. The molten chocolate cake was very good.

As I age I find my palate shifting from Burgundy to Bordeaux. Disconcerting to say the least. I thought all roads were supposed to lead to Burgundy?