Help with Beaujolais

I would think that you would enjoy Foillard’s Cuvée 3.14 in 2015, when that’s released. And as others have mentioned Cuvée Marcel Lapierre from Lapierre would likely hit the spot. If one thinks back to how rich and textural some of the 2009s were on release I don’t actually think it’s a foregone conclusion that Alan won’t like them.

I thought Chiroubles was the highest elevation cru…?

You’re probably right.

Google: Chiroubles: Elevation 290–454 m (951–1,490 ft). Yet many Cote de Brouilly wineyards cling quite close to the top of Mont Brouilly at 484 meters. Curiously Chirobles is one of the lighter wines amongst the crus, while the Cote de Brouillys are quite a bit meatier.

Adam, you are way off base. Beaujolais has little in the way of tannin or noticeable tannin. It relies upon acid to give it definition, dimension and grip. As a result, in my experience, Beaujolais with excessive ripeness (not much acid) is cloying and flabby. I believe that it is just the nature of the Gamay grape. The 2009 Lapierre Cuvee Marcel Lapierre which Robert mentions is a good example (although I have never had any other vintage of that wine remotely like the 2009). I can’t imagine there is any way you are going to like a wine like Guy Breton’s Morgon VV, which is always around 12-12.5% ABV. To my palate, that is what Beaujolais is all about - ripe fruit at relative low alcohol; wines with a cool attack and strong supporting acids keeping the fruit taut and even lean. They are the best wine values on the planet, in my opinion. As has been mentioned, to find what you are looking for you’d be better off in and around Avignon, and there is an ocean of it there, and you can drink it cool in the summer with that burger off the grill, and it is better with pizza than Beaujolais. Or, if you want to get off the beaten path, go south (east) even further to Corsica. There a lots of options, but you are off base in Beaujolais, at least for now, other than an aberration like that Lapierre.

Knowing your preferences from reading your posts from the last couple of years, there is not a chance in hell that you’ll find any Beaujolais to your liking. Big, smooth, ripe, oaky Cali Cabs and Paso Rhones are polar opposite to Cru Bojo.

For what it’s worth, if you are located in Chicago, we are opening an extension of the Publican in Wicker Park in October that will have a heavy Bojo and Loire focus, it will be a wine and beer focused casual bar, with kiiiler bar food.low margins and as much older vintages as I can find- keeping everything under $120.Old chinon, 90’s madiran, etc etc.
They will be plenty of beaujolais to explore, but keeping it under 80 bottles at one time.