Help planning first trip to France

thx

We did Premium Economy on Air France last year on their A380 (double decker huge plane). Huge upgrade over economy and much cheaper than business class or first class. We would do it again.

First trip to Paris was in my mid 40’s. Now at age 68, I am embarrassed to say that my wife and I have been there 22 times. Each year we go to Europe 1 or 2 times and always return through Paris. 3 days at the end of each trip works for us, but floor a first trip I would spend almost all of my time in Paris. For a day trip, consider Normandy. Not around the corner, and the weather can be iffy, but it’s beautiful and historical. If you are museum people, I strongly suggest some pre trip online research to find out about special exhibitions. Purchase tickets in advance for these to avoid standing in lines. Returned from Paris in April and bought tickets in advance for special exhibits at Marmottan and Petite Palais. Consider buying museum passes to avoid lines at other museums. Love th orangrie and Rodin and D’Orsay museums. If you are shoppers, walk Rue St Honore. Also fun is the Marche au Puces which is only open on weekends. It’s huge with several named markets. My wife and I like the ones named Paul Bert and Serpet. I have favorite spots in Paris, but discover your own. I hope you and your wife enjoy it as much as as my wife and I. We are leaving soon to take a driving trip through the Dolomite mountains in Northern Italy and then through Piedmont to Nice and Avignon. Of course, we are coming home through Paris which is just 2.5 hours from Avignon by high speed train. Last, walk Paris as much as you can. We walk back to our hotel each night after dinner regardless of location. By the way I don’t speak french beyond food, money, wine and directions, and never found it an issue. Forgive typos above.

If you want to do a Normandy daytrip, I know a great guide who will pick you up at the train station, squire you around the sites sharing great perspective, and get you back for the evening train to Paris. Let me know.

any tips for purchasing tickets from the east coast to paris? How much is a good price for round trip tickets. Does it make sense to fly directly into Paris?

There are plenty of direct flights to CDG from NY or Boston, so doubt you’ll have any issues. Kayak and other price agrgegators are your friends. What you might define as a “good price” depends and is entirely subjective.

Sigh, I remember flying NY-Paris round-trip for $400-500, but those days are long gone. [cry.gif]

Definitely agree with Howard. My wife and I have done economy plus on AF (in an A-380) and were mightily pleased with the experience–very comfortable, and the food and drink were good.

My wife and I just booked our outbound flight for next May via Seattle and LHR in BA first. Love me some award flights flirtysmile

Jan

On my last visit- we stayed in this apartment- great location!! Apartment is small- but worked great! Queen sized bed a nice find! Walking distance to most sites, easy access to the Underground, good restaurants, market, etc. It is a walkup- third floor.

http://www.adrianleeds.com/parler-paris-apartments/la-maison-dorsay

was the taxes/fuel charges as much as a regular ticket? :slight_smile:

fuel surcharges and transit taxes were only $500 per passenger for one way, it will work out to 2K total for the both of us to fly first roundtrip.

I know points and miles freaks love to complain about fuel surcharges and taxes. We like getting two first roundtrip tickets for 2K all in. Miles were basically free with a couple credit card sign up bonuses and some shifty MS techniques

newhere

:slight_smile: yah freaks do complain about those :slight_smile: and it’s nice getting to fly F or J

I would note that it is somewhat justified complaints for BA b/c i can get F cabin on other airlines for much less fuel/tax charges :slight_smile:

International first on ba is pretty nice. Turn down service, traditional tea service, etc… wines were decent for an airline but not as good as Asian or qatar/emirates intl first selection.

If you’re transiting in lhr vs a stopover, are the taxes less? I forget.

No stopover, just a 4 hour layover. Transit taxes are higher on the return, we are going to try and fly AA metal but AA transatlantic saver awards are non existent 330 days out.

Whats the joke these days, BA F is one of the nicest biz hard products out there… [oops.gif]

great thread. just booked some seats to CDG last night and was debating doing 2 days in Champagne/Reims. i haven’t been to paris in 17 years and am beginning to think that just hanging around paris with a day trip or two somewhere outside of town might be better.

Thanks again for all of the great tips. The trip is starting to come together. Booked airline tickets last night on Air France. I realize that I am late in the game in terms of booking an apt. Most are unavailable at this time, but we have found a few decent options.

Jay - I found a couple options through the website you listed, which look quite nice. One apt we are seriously considering is in the Marais (3rd Arr) on Rue Poitou. Another slightly smaller apt. is in the 11th near intersection of Rue Saint Sebastien and Rue Amelot. Any thoughts on these locations?

Any can’t miss restaurants that I should make reservations for this far in advance? I appreciate the day trip advice and will look into these options once I get the apt. finalized.

Jan,

Either of those locations are pretty much right in the Marais, which is a perfect location for your first time in Paris. Tons of shopping, lots of small, casual restaurants, and also great markets for food to prepare at the apartment. I have a good friend who rents out her apartment exactly halfway between the two locations you named, I’ll see if it’s rented yet for your travel dates.

Just checked, it’s fully booked September and October. Seems like between now and November, the only month with openings is August. But that’s a great neighborhood, I recommend it highly.

Ed - Thanks for the help

I’m getting excited for our annual trip to France in July. On your first trip to France, Paris is exciting and beautiful and all. My recommendation would be to pick out a few of the must see tourist deals. Not the Louvre instead Rodin and Musee d’ Orsay. But then get lost in some neighborhood and sit at a café, bistro or park and slow down for an afternoon. Don’t try to see too much, like most Americans do. Then on your next trip, get away from Paris and see France off the beaten path. My favorite parts of going to France are visiting all the different regions and how unique they are. Provence, Roussillon, Alsace, Charente. (Had to mention Charente my wife’s home.) Bon Chance!