Help me understand primary, secondary, tertiary characteristics

Otto, you’ve very helpfully fleshed out the “definitions” for me. By giving practical examples of grapes/wines along with referencing some of the chemical compounds responsible for tastes/aromas, you may have managed to dent my dense brain.
Cheers,
-Jim

Greg, A blend of the theoretical with the “straight dope”. I hear you. Cheers. -Jim

Most wines do not develop positive tertiary characteristics (and I agree with Hank’s definition). They lose their fruit, fall apart and die. Most wines should be drunk early for their fruit. It is only the types of wines that are prized by many people on this board that are made to age and develop.

I hope you can manage with this kind of cerebral damage and I will not be charged of aggravated informational assault.

Cheers!

I cannot comment on Oregon Pinot Noir, as I do not drink enough of them to know which ones develop. If I had to pick one, I would try Domaine Drouhin, but I have only had one wine of theirs with any age on it. French Chablis is a great example, although it is complicated now (as is the case for virtually all white Burgundies) by premox making it dangerous to age white Burgundies. If you want to try with Chablis, I would suggest premier crus (should age a bit faster than grand crus) and for a good producer who is reasonably priced try Christian Moreau. I would try three wines - a 2017 or other very young wine, a 2014 (a five year old wine) and a 2010 to get one that is more mature.

I highly recommend trying a similar experiment with Bordeaux and Burgundy. There, try a wine that is young, then one that is 5-10 years old and finally one that is 10-15 years old. You don’t need to buy really expensive wines to try this. [The first time I tried something like this was the late 1980s when a group tasted together a 1978, 1982 and 1986 Chateau Potensac.] A suggestion would be Chateau Cantemerle or Chateau Sociando Mallet in Bordeaux (although I would think that Potensac would still work) and in Burgundy Joseph Drouhin or Hudelot-Noellat (the one complication at Hudelot-Noellat is that the wines from 2008 on were made by a new generation in the family and are different and probably better than the ones before it). Try villages level wines or lesser premier crus in Burgundy to keep the price down somewhat.

I don’t agree with that characterization. I don’t think there’s any negative connotation to “primary.”

Personally, I love the primary flavors of wines like zinfandel and Beaujolais and dolcetto. I prefer to drink those wines young, even though they can evolve some tertiary elements with time.

Excellent suggestions for me! Thanks, Howard. Cheers -Jim

As Howard said, the best way to understand this is to buy two vintages of the same wine – one quite young and one with significant age (say 20 years) and try them side by side. Bordeaux is probably the easiest type to acquire with age. And you don’t have to buy Mouton. Try to find a good cru bourgeois with 20 years, and it will likely have more tertiary elements than a first growth, whose structure delays evolution. I agree that Potensac would be a good choice. (Sociando Mallet matures slowly, so I wouldn’t try that.)

You could probably experience it with a 15-year-old Chateauneuf de Pape, too, as those tend to evolve fairly quickly.

In a white, you can see the difference pretty clearly in German riesling. See if you can find a good Spatlese from 1994 to 2002 and match it with a current release.

Very few of us drink wines with a lot of tertiary development on a regular basis, because it takes a long time. In most cases, the evolution of the wines we drink – even at, say, 10 years – consists mainly of tannins softening and some of the primary flavors fading a bit, not of a lot of new tertiary aromas and tastes. (I’m leaving out “secondary” because if that’s used in the technical sense of byproducts of fermentation, and not to elements that derive from age, it’s kind of an academic concept. A lot of the time, though, people use it to mean the products of age.)

Thank you too, John. Very useful. The “tasting” is what I vaguely had in mind and is what I will do. Cheers -Jim

Hey Jim,

On the second page of the link I posted below you can some descriptors fleshed out and categorized by primary, secondary, tertiary. While obviously not a complete list it is a solid starting point.

https://www.wsetglobal.com/media/7071/wset_l4wines_sat_en_may2019.pdf

Ok but in a TN are people not talking about stages of development? If I say I get red fruit, earth and hints of oak. But with 12 years this wine is definitely showing secondary characteristics.

Do u interpret that as definitely has wine making flavors. Or it’s secondary stage of development?
I think it’s pretty self explanatory right? :wink:

Hank, that will be very useful. I just printed it out to have on hand. Thanks!
Cheers-Jim

I think one of the biggest challenges here is agreeing that we are experiencing the same flavors/aromas and agreeing what we are experiencing. In addition, in looking at that WSET list of aromas, I think there is room for ‘disagreement’ on some of these - for instance, I tend to get cinnamon elements in some white wines like roussanne very early on, and not from tertiary development. And with the use of stems, one might get all kinds of different aromas that might be considered ‘secondary’ or ‘tertiary’ but that show up early and remain with the wine.

I like the idea of trying 2 wines from the same producer/region 10-15 years apart - but even that is prone to lead to ‘challenges’ due to potential changes in winemaking over time, to the possibility of ‘bottle variation’, etc . . .

Fun discussion indeed.

Yeah its tricky and up to personal interpretation.
For you example of cinnamon you find it both in the tertiary (white) row as well as the spice row in primary. You can deduce if it is primary or tertiary when you consider if any other signs of age development in the wine are present.

I did a little wine availability searching and am thinking of doing a 2 bottle “experiment” with Sociando-Mallet (thanks Howard) comparing a 2004 with a 2016.

Sociando is a great test since back vintages are easy to find, plus it is not expensive. And of course, it rocks.

I’d rather see you do:

2001 or 2000
1995 or 1996

Three side by side would be killer. And maybe even toss in an 86.

1990 is smokin.

German wines are a great choice also. My issue with German wines is that after 45 years or more of drinking them I still cannot decide whether I like them better when they are young and full of fruit or when they are older and have developed much more complexity but have lost some of the vibrancy of youth. The best I have come up with is to drink some each way. A 2015 Saarburger Rausch Kabinett from Zilliken that I had recently was beyond fabulous.

Great. But be aware that 2016 is a better vintage than 2004 (a good not great vintage) so do not draw too many conclusions from this one tasting. Excellent way to start but treat it as step one in a life-long study. As they often say, the journey is more important than the destination.

This is why some of the interesting tastings I have gone to are verticals.

And you forgot to mention that the 82 also is (was?) quite good. [cheers.gif]

This is how I think of it, that wine starts with primary characteristics then ages into secondary and finally tertiary characteristics.

I definitely don’t think of the definition as being that secondary characteristics are the most wine-making related. Those characteristics (e.g. oak) are most prominent when the wine is young!