Help Me Understand A Wine Critic: William Kelley (The Wine Advocate)

I don’t read wine critics notes/scores, but I think it is amazing that a “public” wine person such as William still goes to a forum like this, an interacts as much as he do, in this day and age.

I do follow him on Instagram where his content is great. He is just a real geek in the most positive way, and I appreciate that a lot.

1 Like

Agreed.

I don’t subscribe to TWA anymore but William is certainly their star player.
Erudite, objective, even-handed and technically well-versed, witty and self-deprecating, what is there not to like?!
I think it’s only a question of time before he outgrows TWA and strikes out on his own.
Definitely the writer to watch in coming years.

In addition to his talent, he has age in his favor. A number of the other critics mentioned are not that young anymore. Parker retired in his 60s. David Schildknecht is in his uppper 60s (I am 66 and I know he is older than I am). Not sure exactly the age of John Gilman and Allen Meadows but they have to be in their 60s or close to it. Suckling cannot be that young. Tanzer seems to be working less than full time now. I still think of Josh Raynolds as being young, but when I knew him at retail was over 30 years ago.

Lots of opportunities over the next 10 years ago for a young talented person like William to really make a name for himself.

1 Like

If the TWA thought long-term, he’s the critic to set as the figurehead.

1 Like

William is about the only professional critic whose opinions I take seriously. Very grateful for his informative posts on this board and instagram.

1000%!!

As others have mentioned, William is really the only critic that i enjoy reading/learning from. In addition to having a great palate and being incredibly knowledgeable…he seems like a great dude that you’d love to hang out with/share a bottle.

I know nothing about him, except that he participates here.

This thread has led me to (first time ever) subscribe to WA to dig into William’s work. I’ve certainly loved his participation here, but was curious how it compared to the deep and broad reviews required in a pub like WA. I fear for my credit cards.

1 Like

My only reservation is the connection to TWA, which on the whole, does not strike me as an advocate for the consumer (at least anymore).

Jumped in and offered advice when I was asking what to order off a list in beaujolais. Can’t beat that. 10/10.

If William was passionate about collecting dolls, I would still read all of his thoughts about doll collecting (it’s just stellar prose), and be excited that I had some of the same dolls as him. Just thankful that he is passionate about wine.

2 Likes

Also there was this one time I blinded William to an Oregon Chard, and maybe he thought it was too easy??? As he decided to name the type of cork closure in addition to the grape and region. A performance that has been told many times in our little wine circle.

1 Like

My dilemna is that while I value William Kelley’s opinions and enjoy his writings, I will not ever pay another nickel to his current employer. Call it a toxic Parker, Perrotti-Brown, Michelin effect. If Mr. Kelley ventures out on his own, I’ll be first in line to sign up.

1 Like

That’s seems an unusual hobby to pair with wine tasting. Not everyone would be so forthcoming about having that interest, Josh. I commend you for that and hope that someday you do find a stellar doll reviewer for your hobby. Cheers.

2 Likes

What I really appreciate about William is his ability to go outside the box in Burgundy. Allen Meadows is just too predictable. William has just enough idiosyncratic taste to get you interested in an offbeat wine that others will rate as “good” but not great. (Cedric Bouchard). Although Meadows is clearly experienced, I am also a bit uncomfortable with his association with John Kapon and the indirect connection with Rudy wines. Plus William would clearly far more entertaining to have dinner with!

That’s a really interesting statement, so much so that I started another thread on the topic and would love your thoughts (but did now want to derail this topic).

While I’m not RPWA subscriber, I have been tempted specifically due to William. I’m particularly interested in the Macon, Beaujolais, and Chalonnaise and have found William’s comments on those subjects here to be very informative.

I love William’s champagne taste and reviews, though I blame him for singlehandedly raising the prices of 2008 Egly with his review! Any discussion of whether respected reviewers have the ability to impact prices should start there…

Just as importantly, he seems to be among the best at interacting with readers (or non-readers) with an open heart and good spirit. Whereas some reviewers might have chosen to be defensive and argumentative about the comment on his affinity for concentration, he responded with an explanation and a self-criticism (unwarranted, in my view). I think that shows a respect for his readers that at least one other current critic would do well to emulate.

He is the only reason I subscribe to WA, and would automatically follow him in any future endeavor. (Under NBA rules, does that count as tampering???)

We have friends where the wife has a basement doll collection that puts my wine collection to shame. No offense to you or Williams, but if I ever need advice on doll collecting, I likely would seek her out rather than reading William in the Doll Advocate. [wow.gif]

I agree with so much here… Another plus, WK is also always coming on here and will bandy about with us regularly!