Help Me Understand A Wine Critic: James Suckling

I was channeling! [cheers.gif]

I think we need a separate thread for Piggot now…

I have never met James Suckling but would like to, and I do subscribe to JamesSuckling.com. Stuart Piggot is a terrific resource for Riesling and another reviewer Nick Stock, is a good mate of mine. Nick has a very sharp palate and is a very hard working chap.

I love reading from pretty much all critics who are passionate and knowledgeable about German wines, including Stuart Piggot, but him returning to JamesSuckling.com puts me in conundrum as I’m not James Suckling’s biggest fan.

Was not familiar with Nick Stock before. Will check him out going forward.

You should send me the manager’s contacts cos I lived in Tuscany for 3 months and also feel compelled to bring it up in conversation.

It’s a good gig: Chianina beef / wild boar / hare to eat, Pecorino di Pienza cheese, each little fortress town seems to specialize in fresh olive oil or truffles, natural hot springs, those rolling hills and austere cypress trees, the smell of sweet grass and wild blackberries roasting under the Tuscan sun… and one of the few places on earth you can come home at the end of a long and hot day and still enjoy a glass of massive red wine.

Back on topic:

The world really missed out on a remake of The Trip starring Suckling and Hollywood Jef Levy doing impersonations of Spurrier.

Divide by 2.5 and multiply by 3? [scratch.gif] Even if I’m not a mathematician, that doesn’t make any sense to me. Why do it such a difficult way and not just increase 20% (i.e. multiply by 1.2)?

(And apparently my 100-point wine is 108 Suckling points. Wowzers!)

Whenever a site like Lastbottle or Winespies blasts out an over the top hype-laden description of their latest, amazing gem of a wine deal and they brag about a high (say 94+) score attached to it, I always assume the score is going to be Suckling, and I’m always right.

2 Likes

Probably because nothing is available to rent now in Tuscany.

1 Like

In general, I don’t have problems with 100 point scores handed out by a critic or the level of scoring of a critic, even if my scoring is different (you just add or distract a few points). AND: The ratings show me at least what the critic sees at the best few wines of the vintage and region. Basically, the ranking of the critic can be a guide and can be helpful.

With Suckling (and some other critics), however, it is a problem as there are too many perfect wines. Simple example: You want to buy the top 5 rated Bdx every vintage. Easy with most other critics, difficult with Suckling (13x 100pts in 2015, 8x 2016, 6x in 2018, 9x in 2019, 9x in 2020 with 19/20 not all big names tested).

I thought he lived in HK? Either way, Tuscany and HK are both pretty great (the latter perhaps less so lately), so I’ll agree with above that he has a pretty sweet gig.

I don’t have much use for his opinions based on what I like, so don’t follow him, but I think he gets credit from me for reading the overall wine world and as far as I’m aware being the 1st western “critic” of note to pull up stakes and move his business to HK and expand his influence in the Chinese market. I know many have done visits in the past on big money speaking junkets but I believe he was the 1st to see it was the place he could build something more permanent.
Ian D’Agata is following suit in Shanghai.

Let’s give Parker some credit here. He sold the Wine Advocate to Singapore investors in 2012 and didn’t even have to move to Asia!

Probably because nothing is available to rent now in Tuscany.

[/quote]

Brilliant! I never saw that episode. It seems like the housing crisis has reached even the distant shores of Tuscany.

You should start at thread entitled “Help Me Understand a Poster: Shan A.”

1 Like

Watching the wine challenge videos with suckling is pretty fun, I recommend it.

What do you all think about Stuart Pigott’s insight on Riesling? Does he tend to be a bit… overly enthusiastic like Mr. Suckling, or do you think he give a more fair assessment of the wine he reviews?

I think he should write more in German AND ENGLISH.

The older videos where he’s doing retail blind tastings? I would agree, they are fun. Gary V springs a Bedrock Syrah on him.

You just can’t help yourself, can you, Otto? Can’t you just let the, “divide by 2.5 and then multiply by 3…” be kind of funny and leave it at that? Sure, you can increase by 20%…BUT WHO CARES?!?

You’re absolutely correct! I can’t.

BUT WHO CARES?!?

Well I, for one, obviously.