Help me pick wines off a wine list

My first choice would be the ramonet chassagne rouge. The trimbach or PYCM or whites. There are a lot of very interesting wines but those stand out to me for a combo of being interesting and delicious while offering value. Wish there was a wine bar near me like this. Happy hunting!

I haven’t had that wine but it seems very unlikely for a 1995 Bordeaux. More likely the other way around, though many 1995s have been coming around.

Just basing my comment off what I noticed a few reviewers say in CT.

Really totally different experience. I love the Ramonet reds but that Rousseau is quite a bit denser wine, grand cru if not in name only.

Lots of good suggestions.

Re “Is there anything else that you’d recommend trying? I’m interested in tasting Northern Rhone, perhaps Jamet Cote-Rotie” note that this is Jean-Luc Jamet rather than Jean Paul and Corinne Jamet.

I meant after tasting 06/07 Rousseau. Sorry, missed my mark.

Yet this place has all four (multiples selections of Rousseau, Ramonet and PYCM), all at very reasonable prices. I don’t understand why you think I’m being sarcastic, but you are incorrect.

I have no idea. They make 5 wines from Rausch. I thought maybe I could match the description from the wine list with one of them using the tasting notes from the zillion website but I can’t.

Coche is pretty well priced too.

I see what you mean now.

I remember what it was like you be in your shoes. First getting into wine and eager to try classic reference point stuff. You want to try good stuff, yet are still somewhat more price sensitive than others on here. This place looks awesome. As others have pointed out there are some high end selections that are well priced (Coche-Dury, Rousseau, etc.), but arbitrarily drawing the line at $40/pour I’d recommend:

'18 PYCM Le Blanc - My fav white burg producer. This one got me hooked around 4 - 5 years ago. The '18 should be drinking fairly well young.
'17 Fourrier G-C - Known for exuberant fruit that should make this accessible, and the price here is pretty good.
'17 Meo-Camuzet Marsannay - In my experience this producer shows fairly well young
'14 Ramonnet CM Rouge - I think this will be drinking nicely
'08 Pavelot - Not my favorite producer, but this is your best shot at aged burg in this price bracket
'08 Le Ragnaie BdM - Should be drinking well, and give you a peek into the joys of sangiovese
'95 Malescot - Aged bordeaux is something I cut my teeth on and if you haven’t experienced it you really should. This is a classified growth. Should be at least decent.

I’d personally skip the Dujac. I’ve been drinking the last few vintages of the MSD Villages on release to try to get a read on them and have now stopped, as I was just finding them too tough. You asked whether it’s the stems. I’m sure that plays a part, but I’ve had other Pinot/Red Burg producers that use stems that I like a lot more in their youth, so I don’t think that is all of it. I think they’re just more sternly styled with higher levels of extract and perhaps some new oak on some of the bottlings that isn’t totally integrated.

No love for the Sauzet Combettes given that purchaser is protected from pre-mox?

Chris,

You couldn’t have put it into better words - totally the position I am in right now. Those are some great recommendations and the list of good stuff to try off the list keeps getting longer. I might have to do multiple trips.

I’m also happy that this list has been so well received on here: when I first saw it I knew it was something special but as a newcomer couldn’t gauge just how damn good the whole thing is.

Well, Fraser picks early, often in February, and the winemaking is very artisanal, with quite a bit of whole bunch. For me, they are some of the most exciting wines in Australia, but sadly very hard to find where I am based. Given that you can try stuff by the glass, it would be a pity not to give them a shot if you’ve never tasted them.

William,

Thank you for the tip. Somehow that name always flew under my radar. Quite excited to give them a go now!

if I come to Europe in summer 2021 as I’m planning to and you’re out in Beaune then I’ll be happy to bring you a bottle of Sami-Odi from down under.

I’ll swap you a bottle of Burgundy!

There’s a couple different strategies. My approach would be to try wines that would be prohibitively expensive to buy bottles of, especially with age, and considering provenance.

There’s a possible downside risk with this strategy of setting the bar too high. I ran into this with my wife, whose first champagne was the Krug GC (158 eme, from the cork we saved). Adam Lee once told me a story also about how it was a mistake to pop a 82 Margaux on a first date…

Deal!

I quickly checked them up online and the bottles are stunning… wow

…and quite hard to find even here in Melbourne, tiny production.

Well, while we are at it, do you have any other “exciting” Oz producer to recommend William?

Well, I’m way outside my area of real expertise or even extensive experience here, but I am also a big fan of the Giaconda Chardonnays.

So many good options. I really like Sauzet Combettes - though haven’t had this vintage - but he price seeks out of whack relative to other Chardonnays. On the other hand I’d jump at the Leflaive Bourgogne - a reference point wine for this level for me.

I also think it would be pretty fun to build some horizontals or verticals. Try all 3 Foillards. Or try the old and young Malescot - super instructive for how Bordeaux ages.