Help Me Pick A Cab. At A Steakhouse

Josh: I really do not know your comfort zone or taste but with the steaks, which look very impressive, I would consider Spain as an option. There are some nice looking bottles on the list at decent prices and they certainly pair well with steaks.

Cheers!
Marshall champagne.gif

I would go straight for the 1988 Pape Clement and then figure out how to make the overall price for 3 bottles work.

A couple years ago at a place that shall be nameless, we went with another couple so I couldn’t go my usual nutsy coocoo. So with a wine budget of $1000 we ordered 2 bottles at the low end. A 70s era zin and 80s cab. Then a 60’s Bordeaux with a 59 Burg. Great way to handle it IMO.

Lots of under the radar stuff

Flanagan Cab - I believe Melka is their consultant, really good stuff that no one talks much about
Yates Cabs - Estate vineyards on Mt Veeder, rustic style (not as rustic as Mayacamas) but likely very versatile with pairings
Melka CJ Cab - I don’t need to say a lot about this, good wine, good fruit source, great winemaker
Lail Blueprint Cab - Love the 2011 of this wine, not green at all, my favorite Blueprint Cab that I’ve tasted
Ehlers Cab Franc - I’m a Franc nut but this is a great wine
Yates Cab Franc - Again, Mt Veeder Franc…if that sounds like a good combo (does to me), go for it
St Supery Merlot - If this is the Dollarhide bottle it’s a very brawny, full Merlot that could trick anyone into thinking it’s Cab

2012 Paradigm Oakville cab is a nice wine and a fair price on that list.

2008 Wallis Family Estate at $88 - don’t see any prices for 2008 but CT average is $50.83 and the 2012 is available for $85-$90 at retail, so $88 is a very good price - 94 WE, 90 Parker, 91 Tanzer, 91 Spectator - have a bunch in the basement, nice cabs - made by Thomas Rivers Brown since 2008 - and it will have some age on it.

Also look at 2012 Melka CJ - Have had and liked earlier vintages of Melka CJ, but have not tried the 2012 - at $100 looks like a modest markup from retail range of $60-$75 - but early in the drinking window.

This one stands out to me.

2008 Andrew Will, Champoux Vineyard, Horse Heaven Hills 115

Not cab but great values:
2013 Bedrock Wine Co., North Coast 45
2013 Bedrock, Heritage, Sonoma County 77

And I second the
2011 Cade, Howell Mountain, Napa 130

or

2011 La Jota, Howell Mountain, Napa Valley 135

Love that Howell Mountain. Gone thru three of the Cade’s.

I actually like the list and price, especially the Bedrocks.

First off, if this was a group of my friends we’d be having seafood appetizers so the 2011 Donnhoff Nahe would be our first bottle.

I like One Point Five a LOT and can’t get behind that vintage if you’re friends like full bodied Cabs. Look at the 2012 Shafer Merlot instead.

For the two other reds, the next 3 are very good recommendations:

Elevation was the key to 2011, and Howell Mtn Cabs are very good. Not as powerful fruit as the so-called ‘better’ years, but the same mountain flavor just toned down.

Corison is usually pretty good and if you got this and the Donnhoff, you’d be able to get 2 bottles for less than one at your $150 per bottle budget.

Never had this, but I would trust Karen’s insider information.

If you really want a killer full bodied Cab, hands down you want to grab the 2012 Frias Family Vineyards Spring Mountain - not exactly a bargain at $110, but it is chock-full of mountain fruit.

Has anyone mentioned the 2010 Château LaFleur Haut Cararas yet? That’s a pretty easy drinking fruity young Bordeaux.

The Macauley mag is good juice. Not a screaming deal but not a rip off either and under your per bottle price point.

Agree on the Cadence Camerata.

Seems like the hits are the Cade, Bevan, La Jota, Pape Clement with flyers being the Shafer merlot, Melka & Paradigm and some of the WA wines. Will keep y’alls other suggestions in the back pocket to order on my own! Thanks for being very helpful and I’ll blame y’all if these aren’t hits :slight_smile:

Not much experience with the specific vintages, but I’d probably go with the La Jota, the 2009 Col Solare, and 2012 Paul Hobbs Napa Valley.

One man’s garbage… I think that’s a terrific list for a steakhouse.

+1

Pappa’s will spoil you I guess. I think they have the 2nd largest in the US. Some place in FL has the biggest.

Is your name Joe or Josh? Without the double spacing between first and last I got a giggle out of your screenname.

I’d get a bottle of 2009 Col Solare and a bottle of 2013 Bevan Ontogeny, will average out under $150

Start with a Cadence Coda and then you have a lot more money to blow on something big, making the splurge seem that much better

Ha -Josh but don’t tell anyone.