Help me identify this wine defect

JC, this is not uncommon for a lot of people, at least until they learn the distinct small of TCA. I’m a chemist, so am kind of used to learning the signature smells of particular substances (though I haven’t done wet chemistry in years, so have forgotten a ton). Just as you probably know the smell of, say, honey very well, or a single chemical aroma like isopropyl alcohol, the smell of TCA is very distinct and identifiable. You’ve almost certainly smelled it in a wine, and if not, then out in the environment (particularly in colder, wetter climates like yours in winter). Areas like wet bark covered ground are notorious for developing TCA aroma. Or processed bagged carrots can sometimes show it. But the best way to learn is probably to go into your local wine shop, and ask if they have a corked bottle in the back that they opened, or someone returned, and ask to take a whiff.

Yes, this bottle being muted is consistent with TCA and with other explanations. Wines go through weird phases. Short-term phases of a young wine can be out of sync with other bottles of the same wine (despite coming out of the same case and being stored together).

If anyone wants to pore through scientific research on TCA, here’s the place: http://ajevonline.org/search?fulltext=tca&submit=yes&x=0&y=0

“Wet cardboard” as a descriptor isn’t literal. It is alluding to wet cardboard that is TCA contaminated smelling like TCA due to the TCA. The moisture created a hospitable environment for mold spores to flourish, the cardboard provided the chlorine to react with and produce TCA. It has a distinct musty smell and can be found many places.

Thanks, everybody. Mildly tainted with TCA sounds as good as anything. No one else at the table picked up an off smell, and as noted, my daughter also said “muted” as a description. Maybe, the bottle would have developed a more signature TCA taint if left for a while.

The restaurant is Bar Les Freres in Clayton, a close suburb of St. Louis. We’ve been happy on the two occasions we visited.

What you are describing sounds like low levels of TCA. It will make the wine off even at low levels causing it to lose flavor or aroma or both even without the wet cardboard smell. Everyone has different levels of TCA they can smell.

Another vote for screwcaps IMO.

Nothing new to add but will join the chorus of low-level TCA. And if you had moved it to your kitchen shelf for the night, perhaps it would have increased in its corked aroma.

Well done by the restaurant.