Help me diversify my secs life

I’ve been a happy buyer of Huet Vourvay secs for over a decade now. I like the wines both young and older, even as I (and for whatever reason people have strong reactions to this) have experienced a low-but-not-insignificant amount of oxidation risk with their wines overall.

I used to buy Chidaine a decent amount, but I had a slightly higher degree of uneven results there and drifted away. Sometimes oxidation, but sometimes just wines that didn’t click with me.

I tried Foreau, but the ones I had were actually too lean and bony for me. That was awhile ago, and maybe those would agree with my today palate more?

I’ve tried various other Loire chenin wines on a one-off basis, but I haven’t really focused on others to feel like I have an opinion there.

I like the Huet Sec style, though if anything, I might lean towards something a little leaner and more acid and mineral too?

So I’d love some recommendations for other Loire chenins wines to try. Especially wines that are reasonably available (I don’t mind buying online using WSPro so I don’t mean it has to be locally) and have decent value for the price. Even more than listing recommendations, I’d love to hear anything descriptive about any of the wines, what their style is, how they age, etc.

Thank you!

4 Likes

Ok, without a doubt, thread title of 'ever on WB. Nice work.

4 Likes

At least he didn’t shit the bed

1 Like

Have you tried Guiberteau and Roches Neuves?

Both very good makers of Chenin Blanc for me

Brodie

1 Like

FIFY

3 Likes

I like the Jacky Blot Taille aux Loups wines, particularly the Remus and Les Caburoches. Chidaine I had issues with 14 but otherwise were generally good for me. Love the Franc de Pied but Panzer told me the yields fell way off so its hard to come by.

1 Like

Throwing out a curveball here but try a Sadie family Mev. Kirsten or Skurfberg or a David & Nadia

1 Like

I’d second Taille aux Loups, esp Carburoches and Clos de Mosny. Arnaud Lambert makes some very nice wines, and some cheaper ones for daily drinkers. Slater-West. Some of the newer Anjou producers can be great, but quite hard to find. Michel Autran. Mark Angeli (good luck).

1 Like

+1 on Roches neuves. Also Francois Pinon.

1 Like

… along those lines this is the best reply I could come up with (look up the translation) - no idea if the wine is any good or not :rofl:

https://www.vivino.com/US/en/domaine-de-la-prevote-bonnigal-et-bodet-vignerons-le-buisson-chenin/w/6388611

2 Likes

This was going to be my recommendation, with a few different bottlings coming in under $25.

There are lots of chenins to try these days! There’s a wind of change in Anjou with several new producers making excellent dry wines, sometimes where sweet wine was made in the past.

I’m not sure about availability in the US but you should be able to find some if not all of these, which are all Anjou/Savennières:

Domaine Ogereau - not a new producer by any means, but the gradual transition from Vincent to his son, Emmanuel, has seen I think a change of style towards something more chiselled and fresh, very similar to that of the new producers.

Chateau de Plaisance (only since 2019) - Vanessa Cherruau is making very precise, incisive wines with lots of energy and citrus fruit.

Domaine Belargus - a resurrection of what used to be Jo Pithon’s wines - similar in style to Plaisance but slightly more expensive and for me, slightly more refined.

Bertin-Delatte - slightly less bone dry than the others, but very appealing indeed, especially L’Echalier

Then from Vouvray, a perennial favourite which is excellent value:

Domaine Champalou - here too, things have changed with the arrival of the new generation. I find the wines less honeyed than before, with more apple and pear since 2016. The 2019s are particularly good.

From Montlouis, a producer who is “new” but who has been around for a number of years now:

Le Rocher des Violettes - my jury is still out on these wines but many swear by them so they’re worth a try.

Normally, none of the above suffer from too high ABVs, but unless you don’t mind that, you need to check carefully before buying. After not asking, and finding myself saddled with several bottles of Roches aux Moines from Pierre Bise that were 15°, I’m much more careful!

3 Likes

Another rec for Pinon , specifically the Silex Noir

Thank you everyone, I especially appreciate those who have described the styles. It’s interesting digging around to see which ones of these I can find from which vintages.

So far, I’ve purchased a Philippe Foreau (Clos Naudin) Vouvray Sec 2017 and Guiberteau Saumur Blanc Les Moulins 2018 from a local store, I’ll try those side by side and see what I think. They were $40 and $38 respectively, so not cheap, but around what Huet secs go for these days.

I had bought a bottle of Belargus Ronceray Anjou 2018 recently, it was pricey ($60 at Hi Time) and brought it to a tasting paired with a (sadly oxidized) 2007 Huet Le Mont Sec. It was as @Julian_Marshall described it, a little more precise and serious of a wine, more White Burg-ish, and I wish I’d gotten to focus on it better or had it in a different setting.

I’m digging around for others. There is a pretty good price pre-arrival on the 2017 Bertin-Delatte Echalier 2017 that I might jump on, Julian gave that one high marks on CT.

Thanks everyone!

Chris, my 0.02 would include the wines from Thibaud Boudignon. A little pricier, especially for his single vineyard wines, but man are they fabulous. The Anjou blanc should run you $40-45 at retail.

If you like a racy, acidic spine with good concentration and no excessive wood notes, these are the bomb. I’ll say that Huet secs tend to be rounder in comparison with more baked apple notes compared to the citric, mineral driven Chenins that Thibaud is making. Frankly, fans of Keller’s Von der Fels should take note.

https://www.wine-searcher.com/find/thibaud+boudignon+blanc+anjou+loire+france/2019/usa-tx-y/usd

4 Likes

Im quite partial to Didier Dagueneau, they have some fantastic wines.

https://www.wine-searcher.com/find/louis+benjamin+didier+dagueneau+les+jardin+de+babylone+sec+jurancon+south+west+france/2015/usa

Great price here at $65/btl

these are sauv blanc though, and the OP is looking for vouvray (chenin)

Ah, didn’t read too much past the hilarious title :laughing:

+1 for the Thibaud Boudignon and I would add Nicolas Joly to the shopping list, too.

Chris, have you tried Beau Rivage? I think they’re quite good and Loire-like, although perhaps a bit more linear and coiled than Huet secs. The 2017 drinks well now, while the 18 and 19 probably need a few years to relax.

3 Likes