Heading to Australia

Are NZ alcoholic beverage taxes as high as Australia’s? We’ve been invited down several times by winery owners that visit us. They have warned us of the Australian taxes on alcoholic beverages and tobacco products, suggesting we bring our own smokes and as many bottles of Grange as we can to flip them there and pay for the trip.

Hi Randy, no the NZ taxes are much lower in Aust. Aust has about 2.5x the taxes on wine that NZ does. We can buy wines imported wine much cheaper in NZ than Aust.

In NZ there is a 15% GST and then a $2.90 per litre excise duty. Australia it is over 40%, Aussies have a WET (Wine Equalization tax) at 29% before sale taxes etc

Ouch. That’s like CA’s 65% tobacco tax.

Yeah Randy - that sucks for CA tobacco, but when you have unicorns (as you do), its a deal at almost any price! [dance-clap.gif]

This. If you want to meet up in Sydney I can give you some Wendouree for cost price ($50-70AUD) and Rockford Basket Press ($70)…and Sami Odi…and Noon…and Wild Duck Creek…etc… screw paying Dan Murphy’s prices. I guess you will be limited by how much you can take back? (you should find out) and then make a decision of what you want.

You should get some Rockford Sparkling Shiraz which is pretty unique.

Hi Dave,
Based on my research and previous experience, I should be able to bring back at least 2 cases of wine or 24 bottles, my wife travelled to AU for work some years ago and she brought back a case of wine without issue. And if you’re willing to sell some of your Wendouree, I’m interested. PM a list, and let me know if there is anything I can bring you from the states. Thanks

Demian,

Definitely try meeting up with the crew there for an offline! Great bunch of people and a great opportunity to try a bunch of AU stuff you will not normally see in the US.

Hopefully on topic. I’m going to Brisbane next and would love some advice as well.

+1 on Giaconda and Bass Philips.

Really enjoyed the Mayer Granite Pinot last time i was in australia.

Peter, I haven’t spent much time in Brisbane in recent years but Cru Wine Bar and Cellar was always good. Wine Emporium worth checking out too.

I live in Brisbane
Cru has a wonderful selection of import and local wines
with good provenance

Longtime Thai is crackingly good food

24 total bottles from the trip.
317FF304-C812-4E0E-9FA0-BC2076F4B328.jpeg

Nicely done Damian. Some very nice scores. Interested in your thoughts on the wines when you crack them.

I seriously can’t believe they all got back in one piece, buy yourself a Lottery ticket!! :slight_smile:

We did catch up for dinner while Demian was here and a good night was had by all, I didn’t take any photos…

Pierre Peters BdB
1998 Seppelt Drumborg Riesling
1998 Mt Pleasant Lovedale Semillon
2016 Giaconda Chardonnay
2006 Craiglee Shiraz
2008 Juniper Cab Sav
2005 Lakes Folly
2018 Tyrrells Old Patch Shiraz
1991 Wynns Centenary CabShiraz
2018 Rockford Black Sparkling Shiraz

Plus a few more back at Winstons place afterwards…

Nicely done Dave. Some favourites there. I hope that the Wynns Centenary showed well.

Wow. That’s rockstar treatment!

I’m on the plane to Sydney as I type flirtysmile

Great wines. What are the wines with the green capsules on the right, at the back?

It was an amazing lineup of wines, and Dave and the guys were very generous to include myself and my family. They have a great wine dinner going, it makes me want to move to Sydney. :smiley:

The 1st green capsule is a 2016 Clonakilla Syrah, I was trying to buy the Clonakilla Shiraz Viogner but the wine store was out of stock.

The green capsule in the back is a Sami Odi.

Thanks. Don’t Clonakilla white wines have green capsules not red wines?