HDH craziness

I swear I once heard $1200, but I’m purely going on fuzzy memory.

I remember being offered the 1990 assortment for $1600, the same price as the 1989. Got the 1989, but passed on the 1990 as I had enough wine at the time. Oh well!

$2000 per mixed case for 1990 at Wine Exchange. Sat on floor of store for months. I finally traded Steve California wine he could quickly sell for 5 cases of it.

I scrolled through the first 500 or so lots, and then just felt that my time was better spent elsewhere. There seems to be a a lot of money right now (wine, my area of real estate), so not the best time to buy wine at auction. I still feel that you have to keep your ear to the wall, and there are always bargains, you just never know where they’ll be.

$75 to ship 2 bottles via ground service 60 miles away=HDH craziness

their shipping has been out of control for a while.

Yup. No longer on my list

it is a shame because i used to purchase a lot from them. however there seems to be a huge change in their retail business as well. in the past they offered very interesting selections whereas now its just mostly current release stuff available anywhere.

There was a huge change in their business: they basically got out of retail a couple of years ago, except for a small inventory of essentially new-release wines. I remember calling them the week (maybe even the day) the website changed, trying to find wines I had wanted to purchase and being told they weren’t for sale any longer.

You can go pick it up for free.

George

The 1990 Assortiment was 1200 Euros when released.

Didn’t the Euro come out in '99?

HDH will ship to MWC in NJ, where I store wine, for decent rates because MWC is HDH’s local shipping consolidator/partner. It was $10 for 3 bottles bought at retail a few months ago. But anywhere else in the NYC area, including my apartment in Manhattan, is a fortune.

was trying to avoid sales tax which is usually a lot more than shipping

sorry – correction – Deutschmark. The Euro began Jan. 2002.

Even if you don’t store there, you can have it delivered there for decent rates and go pick it up.

Sounds like you have experience. [cheers.gif]

Jayson, yeah. It’s less than 15 minutes from my office.