HDH action questions

Why do we assume everything here had perfect provenance ? I fully support HDH and both buy and sell with them. Perfect to me means producer release.

I dipped in and out of the Sotheby’s sale on Wednesday and it seemed that there were a fair number of passed lots and not a whole lot of interest above the pre-sale bids (aside from the usual trophy lots). Maybe I wasn’t paying enough attention but it seemed to me that there wasn’t the same level of pent up demand there compared to what’s being reported here. Any thoughts on why that was?

I saw this too. The same bidders were chasing many lots. I wondered who they were. Your thought on ITB is a good one.

My quick perusal of Sotheby’s (where they show the current pre-bid levels) were pretty strong leading into the auction. HDH doesn’t give you that indication, making all the pre-bids sealed, leaving bidders to either up their pre-bid or wait to see the open and decide whether or not to act in the few seconds allotted. I think the lots people are more used to seeing are falling in or close to the range (see the first 150 or so lots from yesterday) vs other, less frequently auctioned bottles whose prices are more all over the map.

A lot of the lots I was watching, when I had a chance to watch, involved the same few bidders. I don’t think this is boredom. I think these are “cellar advisors” or whatever filling orders for people.

That Produttori really jumped out, I was looking at those as well but gave up. When I checked the hammer today, I did a double take. I wanted those Stella di Campalto 2010s (and that was a case where the estimates were out-of-line with the market, but it is thinly traded and not a traditional blue chip).

Yeah the Stella estimates made no sense, below original release price.

Another fun one. 2010 cavallotto riserva San guiseppe. A case went for 180/bottle, certainly a bit high but not nutty. Then 4 bottles with label issues went for 225/bottle. Huh? Did someone misread and think they were getting 6?

Many bids submitted.
Only one successful so far

A 2007 Clos Rougeard just went for 657.25 (after buyer’s commission). You can get it for $250 at retail right now: Clos Rougeard Saumur Champigny 'Les Clos' 2007 – Verve Wine

$550 for a single bottle of 2007 Clos Rougeard Clos?

[scratch.gif]

Edited to add: ninja’ed

Maybe. I once accidentally bought 2006 Cappellano when I thought I was bidding on 2008… no wonder I got such a good deal…

2007 Rougeard Clos hammered at $550. Holy shit. WTF is going on? Money laundering? Russians pulling up sticks and leaving the US?

Chart of all 2007 Clos Rougeard Saumur Champigny (Clos) auction sales (hammer + premium)
CEBB4384-4DA4-4872-BEEA-01682835B186.jpeg

HDH certainly did better than Sotheby’s this week at generating interest. As far as provenance, they’ve mentioned a few times the wines would be purchased distributor direct or via the owner’s personal connections in Italy. All I know is that the maestro of fake wine (Don) has given HDH his stamp of approval for their vetting process. Good enough for me, as other than having picked up a bottle myself at a winery, I don’t know how else you’d verify a bottle…

Still waiting for prices to get sane, although as usual the later it gets, the pricing tends to ease up. I’ve gotten one lot so far, paid the top of my limit. Back to monitoring a few more lots.

Dan Kravitz

I managed a case of Scavino 2010 for under the high estimate which was a surprise given how high the prices were.

Have gotten a few cases of Barolo (couple lots later last night) for solid pricing. I was working this morning and told my assistant to win the '85 Sassicaia for me as long as the pricing was reasonable – obviously she and I have a different interpretation of what constitutes a “reasonable” amount of my money, but I’ll pretend to be upset while I tell the wife, I guess and enjoy the wine :slight_smile:

Hah! That’s why you give clear instructions! Just like when guests ask the sommelier to “Bring the most expensive bottle you’ve got!” :wink:

God I am tired of staring at this screen. Can we all agree that this is too long of a sale?

Stop bidding and leave some wine for the rest of us?

Ha I’ve only won 4 lots … very tired of staring at a screen … this needed to be split between two weekends — way too long.

Based on personal experiences, any recommended shippers?

I have the third party shippers recommended by HDH but I only have a few cases purchased from this auction.

Based on that size is any one shipper better recommended than the other? I’ll be shipping the wine to Charlotte, NC (if that matters).

Thanks in advance and I hope we weren’t bidding too often against one another :slight_smile: