Have you ever walked away from wine?

Drew, thanks for sharing your experience. Glad to hear you and wine have found the right balance.

I, for one, noticed that Scott had been not very visible on the Board lately.

Scott, when you came onto the Board, your energy and enthusiasm was so intense! So it was noticeable when you took your foot off the gas.

I cannot think of one single thing in life that I have not thought of walking away from: jobs, homes, hobbies, family, relationships…you name it. A couple of years ago (June 2013, to be exact), I walked out of my vineyard, and I did not know if I would set foot back. Truly. People who understand my enthusiasm for what I do will likely be surprised at this. But, having made that “choice” to walk out, I was able to then make the “choice” to get back in. Mind-altering.

Maybe what everyone needs is just a little larger sense of having the choice.

I’m sure that this will evoke the ire of some, but I would say 98% of what appears here is of no personal interest to me. I think that boredom with the periphery is a sign that one has arrived at a certain level of accomplishment. Which is not to say that at some point one doesn’t become bored with whatever level of accomplishment that they have achieved, and the process continues.

For sure. No ire here. Hope I did not bore everyone/anyone with my comments. If I did, just move along; I guess I could have sent a private email to Scott.

What you have to say is usually included in the 2% of which I am interested, Merrill.

Merrill, your comments never bore and your wines certainly do not! flirtysmile

I think it is good to step back every now and then for an extended period of time as when you return your appreciation will be that much more. Before I got the wine bug, I was and still am, a pretty big whisky geek. I got so far away from single malts drinking wine that when I returned to my daily drinker of scotch it was similar to when I first found it. My palate awakened, my senses heightened and I appreciated what I had ignored for some time so much more.

I will go times without wine now and when I come back it is similar to my experience with the malts. Sometimes you just need a break and that’s OK.

I do realize that since I was introduced to several wine BB’s last year my spending and collection has increased and I am now making an effort to slow some of that down and really take inventory of what I like and not what the boards peer pressure pushes me to like, but I will not deny the board recommendations have turned me on to some great wines I really enjoy and will continue to purchase.

So to answer your question, yes, I have walked away from wine, and spirits in the past and I’m sure I will do so again and return again as I have previously.

David, you’ve just inspired me to pull out our margarita machine this weekend! champagne.gif

Yeah once. Was the toughest 10 minutes of my adult life!

Although I haven’t walked away from wine, I’ve most certainly dialed back the intensity. My cellar went from 0 to about 500 btls in a pretty short period of about five years. The last vintage I bought to cellar was 2001. This basically coincided with the birth of my first child. Priorities changed as my family grew. I found the “chase” for the next great vintage or deal had become tiresome. I still buy plenty of wine for daily drinkers and when looking for a great wine I dip into my cellar which has dropped to about 200 btls and I like a btl of champagne to enjoy with a meal.

I love going to dinner with my wine buddies who have become more than wine buddies. They’ve become close friends and when we share a meal we rarely talk about wine…more so sports, politics, family, travel, etc.

I don’t regret any of the time or money that I’ve spent on wine, but I am pretty sure I coulda had that house in the mountains that I covet. :slight_smile:

How 'bout those RedSox?

I might walk away once I have explored every wine region and grape in the world…until then i’m having a ball! Plus I like wine with my dinner…and the great friends I have made through wine.

I’ve walked away from drinking wine two times in the past four years. Each time lasted about 3-4 months but I still visited the board to read. I understand where your coming from though, the board goes through periods of time where nothing changes but it is probably just me. I’ve thought about doing the same thing your contemplating right now and might do it this summer. If you do leave, be sure to check back in on ocassion, I always enjoy reading your posts.

No, but I cut back significantly when my wife was pregnant with our kids. I still have a lot to learn about wine!

Thanks,
Ed

Migraines 1988-2012 influenced by alcohol, so, yes 24 years away. They are gone. Wine is back. For that matter exercise induced them too, so running stopped. Now I am back to running trails and ultras. Thankful for all this including being able to participate here with you all. Very thankful.

Usually I walk away from wine, but occasionally I stumble away from wine, and very rarely, I crawl away from wine.

But, no. I drink less wine than I used to, and drink more beer, gin and bourbon than I used to. But wine is still my primary passion.

Yes. Around 2004 or 2005 I dropped off all of the wine boards (which was tough after about 12 years as a hardcore wine board junkie), dropped out of a weekly tasting group, and stopped going to wine stores. My only connections to wine were a lower key monthly tasting group and the Rhys mailing list.

I realized the the wine scene had gone from a pleasant hobby to an obsession. I bought too much, I spent too much time on it, and I let it consume my life. Ironically, the one issue I didn’t have was excessive consumption of alcohol.

A few years ago I decided that I missed a lot of people I primarily connected with through wine and decided to slip a toe back in the water and found that the landscape had changed.

The three wine boards I had been a regular participant on (WLDG, West Coast Wine, Wine Therapy, and eBob) had changed dramatically or disappeared altogether and a lot of old wine board friends dating back to Prodigy and CompuServe had dropped out of online wine discussions. I found a number of old friends here and at Wine Disorder, though, which eased the transition.

I also found that the prices of a lot of the wines I used to buy had escalated to a point where they didn’t tempt me, making it easier to maintain better discipline on the buying front. Very much like the old tale of a frog in water, after years of not really noting the steady increases in price, but after several years out of the pit it was easy to see that the water was boiling.

I’m glad I ended my hiatus, but am even more glad I took it. I think I’ve made wine a healthier part of my life, and have managed to catch myself when I find myself slipping into old habits of excessive acquisition. And I’m much more price sensitive than I used to be, though it helps that I’ve loved Loires, Beaujolais, and German Riesling for about 20 years.

While Clos des Briords may have doubled in price since I bought my 1997s for $9.99 (the price tag is still on the bottles), the amount of damage I can do to the credit card with $20 to $40 wines is more limited, and I don’t suffer for quality. And I still have a decent stash of 1980s and 1990s Birdeaux, Burgundy, Rhone, Italy, Loire, and other regions from producers I’m no longer willing to pay the tariff to buy.

I will say that if you think you have a problem, you probably do it’s easy to get caught up in the thrills of discovery and acquisition, and in wanting to try everything you can. But if I can step away, anyone can I regret letting things get to the point that I had to, but I’m glad I did, and that I learned from it.

Yes, for about 5 years during residency and fellowship. I was well on my way with wine in med school, sharing a house with 4 others, two of whom were into wine. Then a couple of cross-country moves, apartment living, and lack of time and like-minded colleagues put everything on hold until I settled down. That was 30 years ago.

I’m going out with my boots on! [snort.gif]
My last buy was the Patti Green special, I only drink a glass a night, so I have plenty in reserve. I enjoy the discussion as much as the drinking. Do you think I have finally grown up? [wow.gif]