Have you ever gone out and purchased every available bottle of a wine?

Oh yes. I forgot. I once bought the last available bottle of Allegash 10th Anniversary Ale. I was at the brewery and they had two bottles left. I split them with the other guy who was there for the tour.

Pierre Overnoy Poulsard. Unfortunately my attempt to corner the U.S. market netted me like six bottles total.

Doctor Jurdā€™s Jungle Juice, circa 1983.

The closest Iā€™ve come to doing something like that was back in the '70s when the Washington State Liquor Store decided to close out '66 Warre vintage Port for $6 and small change. A friend and I visited every store we could and bought all the stock. That would equate to about $25 now for a great vintage. As it turned out, Port prices have gone up since then less than any other great wine, making this coup not the killing I thought it was at the time.

P Hickner

Forget the monetary partā€¦ thatā€™s a score on a great vintage. [cheers.gif] Got any left? If so, must make for a great drink & story.

A big plus one

ā€œTried this once. Did not work out so well.ā€

-Randolph and Mortimer Duke

iirc it was about 3 cases of 94 insignia for $42 per bottle
split it with a friend and have one left

1 Like

I still have a couple left, and every bottle has been in good condition.
The great thing about the purchase was that since I had so many, and had paid relatively little, I never hesitated to open a bottle. That gave me a chance to experience the same wine through nearly 40 years of evolution from inky and tannic, to the current smooth, slightly sweet, aromatic condition.

P Hickner

A few years ago over a six month period I purchased every bottle of 2004 Charvin CdP then available for sale in the US. Those three places still listed on Wine Searcher donā€™t have any or donā€™t ship to California. I still have 23 bottles left of the 60+ I scrounged. I really like 2004 Charvin!

Other than Maderia where only a couple of bottles may exist, the last time was the 2001 Muller-Catoir Mussbacher Eselshaut Rieslander TBA.

I had two bottles of this in my cellar. I drank one in 2015. I look forward to drinking the other, because it is sooooo good. But I dread drinking the other because I know that once I do, I will never have it again.

I have but am not saying which.

We bought a bunch of the 2004 Arrowood Reserve Cab at BevMo several years ago. It was either $20 or $25. Bought as much as I could but many others were also aware. They were awesome.

Thanks,
Ed

Beat you on that one :slight_smile:ā€¦seems like the well has dried up.

Back in the day, you could buy as much of the 2002 as you wanted for like $20/bottle!

-mark

Only by accident. Like just the other week: That '93 Faiveley Musigny was excellent, could you bring another please? ā€¦ Oh, I seeā€¦

I know! Wish my palate had been developed enough at that point to understand/enjoy those wines. I did get to visit Houillon in Pupillin in 2015, which was an amazing experience.

Ahh, cool - I havenā€™t had the pleasure of visitingā€¦ 6 Poulsard is actually a large part of the US allocation :slight_smile: Well done.

-mark

1970 BV Private Reserve

I believe I own every bottle ever made of 1989 Monfortino.