Has the Wine Advocate basically given up at this point?

WK needs to go off like Meadows or Gilman. I’d subscribe.

The thing is, William Kelley provides an enormous amount of quality, intellectual property to this board at no charge. I reckon it is fair to reciprocate and subscribe.

1 Like

100%. I literally have zero interest to subscribing to any current publications/reviewers…but wouldn’t think twice if WK did his own thing. Willing to bet a LOT of peeps here would do the same.

Honestly, that was exactly my feeling, and why after almost 20 years, I re-subscribed. TWA would be wise to build the platform around him, the next generation of substantive wine writers.

Jeb might taste the new releases, but he hasn’t the first idea of what he’s talking about, assuming you like wine not a cocktail in a bottle.

Big +1. I haven’t resubscribed (yet), mostly cause I’m trying to buy less, but WK would/will be the reason I do opt in again.

If they did make a clear effort to focus the pub around him, I would prob think about it. If those aren’t the types of conversations that they’re having with him…I do think he would easily be able to pull off a solo move, and i would support it instantly.

Ha, damn man, what a hater… Just so I understand, what cocktail did I like that so offended you?

I’m seriously thinking of subscribing for the first time, being a Vinous-only subscriber for now. For a long time, my impression was they were dead, but William’s contributions here are extremely valuable and I would love to read more of his work. Plus David Schildknecht is always so late on regions I care about and has a writing style I cannot stand…

What a brilliant scene that was!

My comments were unduly rude and I retract them with my regrets. Sorry.

I’m sure only because the person they were directed at saw them.

Ok so who is going to start the FREE WILLIAM KELLEY! thread…

1 Like

And taste like Black Forest Cake.

Agree, and I resubscribed to TWA about a year ago solely due to William’s contributions here. He’s fantastic.
And for those looking to try another interesting site for a year (or forever), have a look at Jasper Morris’s Inside Burgundy. It syncs with CT, and I really enjoy his notes/reviews.

Jeb, it’s just that you’re out of shape, unattractive, have a low IQ, and present an off putting personality. Other than that, no one hates! Oh, and there’s your association with a certain Nebbiolo lover, showing lack of judgement. neener

As always, I think folks are more than entitled to their opinions about the WA and their stable of critics but I think it is disrespectful to William and the generous, rather well-priced contributions he makes here to talk about “freeing” him. I know that it’s somewhat in jest, but it takes one higher-up to express concern about the dialogue surrounding his work at WA here and that’s it for the wonderful pictures of Burgundy canopy management.

I am sure he has his pick of places to work for. He close the WA, and I’m happy to be a subscriber for access to his work.

Wuss. [rofl.gif]

If William picked up Germany and went out on his own I would pay 2-3x what I pay for the Wine Advocate