Has the new shipping bans altered your wine purchases.

Yes, significantly, and it is extremely annoying. The sad thing is this may be the new normal. I suppose I’ll need to get more creative too. And I really feel for the really great retailers with whom I dealt for years who must be taking a massive hit due to what is essentially racketeering.

Pretty much how I see it. Not much direct impact personally as my buying is down and I have friends in DC for the exceptional case.

But it’s generally bad for the industry and the consumer. The only beneficiaries are the wholesalers and the politicians on the receiving end of their campaign contributions.

A significant impact. Iowa has a very limited selection for wine. For instance Ridge Geyserville 18 bottles for the entire state, Lytton was 2 cases. I used to source a lot of what I wanted from K&L and Wine Exchange, but neither can ship here. For our wine club, it has really limited our options unless we drive to Chicago or Minneapolis.
Unfortunately, I don’t see things changing for the better in the near future at least. Just hope it doesn’t get worse.

I really hope people will heed this for future posts and edit some things that have already been posted. You do like buying wine from these stores, right?

Yes, for sure.

Some retailers are now a total no-go with the regulatory changes. Other retailers require a degree of logistics creativity to get the wines, which is a hassle, but ultimately worth the trouble given pricing, availability, etc.

The regulatory policies are totally anti-consumer. But I fear we fine wine enthusiasts are such a small segment of the population that positive, pro-consumer change isn’t coming any time soon.

This

I was buying from out of state retailers frequently until the recent clampdown on UPS/FedEx.

It’s interesting how much people’s buying has been effected by the crackdown. It looks like the secondary market is being devastated by it.

I had a nightmare recently with a west coast retailer. He sold me 3 bottles on pre arrival. When they arrived we made arrangements to ship. He gave the bottles to the shipping company that I prefer not to name who accepted it on a Monday. Then on Tuesday the shipper decided that he was no longer shipping to my state. The shipper requested the package be returned. Instead of turning the package around while it was still close to its origin the shipper trucked it all the way cross country until it got to their dispatch 30 minutes from my house. They even sent me a notification saying it would be delivered the next day. They then sent another notice saying that the change in delivery status showed return to shipper. They then proceeded to put it back on a truck to the west coast. Since the contents could be compromised with all the travel time in the cold if I made alternate delivery arrangements the retailer kindly refunded me. Not fun…

Are there any metrics that would show that?

Of course the shipping bans are altering wine purchases. These threads do nothing to help address the problem; rather, they potentially contribute to it.

And David B. with one of the all-time great WB posts: “My bag is in, pull up the ladder.”

There are many things about living in DC that are bad. Ability to obtain wine is not one of them.

I fear the day someone figures out how to get a vineyard going here.

loose lips
sink ships
you guys throwing retailers names around should edit or delete your posts.

[cheers.gif]

No, I was basing my comments on the responses. If retailers have lost customers because they can no longer ship to them, then that market will obviously shrink. A study would be very interesting.

I love living in DC