Has KLWM Lost Their Collective Minds?

Grand Cru distributes Roulot too, so KLWM is not the sole source and doesn’t have as much influence on those wines.

Yes, and you HAVE to buy a case or it’s not worth it [stirthepothal.gif] .

I’m not one, as a consumer, who likes any large increases, especially those that don’t go to the winery (I have no idea what KLWM pays Coche). But, if you were selling a wine that could fetch $5K/bottle, would you say “Oh no, it only cost me $500, so I’ll sell it to you for $750?” If so, I’ll take all your old Coche, Clape, Verset, etc.[wow.gif]

You’re exactly right here. I love many of KLWM’s wines (especially the older producers) and I consider KLWM the greatest American importer of my lifetime. But, I worked with them for about 8 years in distribution and they were doing the same thing to distributors at that time, and I imagine they still are. It’s too bad, because their continued price increases turned off a lot of customers.

A funny story from around 2009 or so. We had ordered a few pallets of wine to be sent up from their Berkeley warehouse, and one of the pallets was a mistake. It was the entire US allocation of Coche-Dury Corton-Charlemagne. I called them to let them know of their error, and said we’d be happy to hold it for as long as they needed. The next morning one of their employees was waiting in our parking lot in a van to pick it up and give us the proper pallet. He drove straight from Portland to the Berkeley warehouse. That’s how important those wines are to KLWM.

more than $1,000,000 of wine at $2000/b. I’d call that important! I’d bring an armed guard.

They only are allowed to sell 3 wines outside of NY state, Kermit has the rest.

Looks like I’m glad I got KLWM’s postcard that seemed to be offering Pizza (looks like a very good pizza!)…maybe all I could afford :slight_smile:

Not really accurate.

Kermit’s complaints to Thierry Allemand regarding UK merchants selling to US client’s severely impacted the supply of Allemand that was making its way here.

What is CA wholesale for 2014 CC - $4000?
You can make a “generous margin” on that??
That is a big number when you can drink the wine at plenty of restaurants in France for probably close to half that.

I know a few folks have chimed in with the general gist of their comments being two fold: 1) stop your bitching, if you’re angry about the price, don’t buy the wine & 2) KLWM can charge whatever they want and the market will determine whether that is the right price.

I largely agree with what you’re all saying with one caveat. I agree that I don’t have to buy and I won’t at these prices. I also agree that KLWM can charge whatever they want. I disagree that those who are annoyed, like myself, should stop bitching. Just as KLWM has a right to price gouge (which I believe they’re doing if the ex-cellar price info that was privately shared with me is true), we all have a right to publicize our displeasure and Coche & Raveneau have a right to change importers if they’re intent in selling wine at a super low price to KLWM isn’t so KLWM can make 8-12x their cost. That’s why I posted in the first place…in hopes that if producers aren’t aware of extreme price gouging by their exclusive US importer, they may become aware now.

If anyone has the contact info for Coche or Raveneau I encourage you to share a link to this thread or feel free to send me their contact info and I’ll happily pass it along.

That’s fair to be angry, and it’s fair to try to use this platform to be alerting other non-US producers, but to be fair to the rest of us, that wasn’t exactly the tone of your headline or initial post…

While I agree Kermit Lynch can charge what he wants, and of course we can voice our displeasure, I am curious how you would actually make this work?

There is obviously a secondary market happy to pay $5k, so if Kermit isn’t getting the profits, who should?

Typically the profits were shared by KLWM, their distributors, and their retailers & restaurants. With room for everyone to make a good profit, and still allow long-term buyers to be given better than market prices. Now Kermit is stripping most of the profits from their business partners, and screwing over their long-term retail customers.

That’s the age old debate isn’t it? Sure, the speculators will always be around driving prices up on the secondary market, but they come and go. If the winery cares about producing wine for the customer who drinks the wine year in and year out, they don’t want to see the price gouging by the importer/distributor because that negatively impacts the ability for those customers to get the wine. Sure if you’re just looking at it in a business sense, who cares? But wine makers are typically more artist than business and they want to see people enjoy their hard work, not just greedy businesses profit on their backs.

Haven’t read every single post, but I totally agree Kermit has lost their mind.

Besides this absurd Coche offer, they priced 2019 Tempier Rose at $56 (don’t even know pages you have to click through in wine-searcher to see that price, easy to find for $40) and 2018 Foillard wines at $50 (got mine for $35). They must think their customers are stupid and unable to use the internet… They even suggested to order Tempier quickly before it’s gone. Gone where?!?

This.

I’ve viewed KLWM’s retail price structure much the same way I understand purchasing from a winery directly is often more expensive than buying the same wine in distribution.

Which is to say that they price their direct retail sales higher largely to protect their distribution channels.

Are there some aggressive tactics at the high end of the market? Sure, but that is life in the Veblen good world.

Well in many cases, nobody. Otherwise every bottle in Paris would on a plane to NYC.

Greg this isn’t true. Prior to the new regime (the changeover occurred a few years ago), their retail prices were favorable. It was very difficult to get on the list. And they have more than tripled the prices to retailers recently. There seems to be near unanimity from retailers that Kermit has changed in a big way, and it’s hurting their business partners, and their retail consumers (a number of folks upthread corroborated that the gouging isn’t just to retail customers). It’s not benefiting the producers they represent either.

Yeah, but you could then say that about anyone who isn’t charging $40, which is everyone other than the 2 showing up at that price. Particularly the folks charging more than $56.

“near unanimity”? Based on a handful of posts that you’ve read here of people saying they’ve heard things? I’m not suggesting those posters are lying, but c’mon.
There’s a pile of speculation about the economics and a lot of hyperbole with little actual evidence.

The customer.

In the past, pricing decisions were mostly made on a cost-plus basis, not an “ability and willingness to pay” basis. While luxury goods deserve to be thought of as a separate and special category, the overall shift in pricing strategies has meant that most of the gains from productivity growth in the overall economy are captured by the firms/owners/managers in the form of profit instead of being split to some degree between profit and consumer surplus. This trend is destabilizing society and making a mockery of the American dream.

If a random billionaire went to DRC and offered $5000/bottle for their entire production run for the next 20 years and that was going to double their profits, would it be a socially good outcome? No. But who should get the profits if not for the producer and the owner?

Us!

Getting priced out of the market for Coche is the same economic phenomenon that results in Americans paying twice as much for health care as people in other nations. If you think that’s a good thing, then you are standing on the side of structural racism. Not a place I care to be, but YMMV. So, crocodile tears for people losing access to Coche, but a dirty look towards the attitude that the capital class and its cultural norms about economics can’t be criticized.