Has Anyone Been Drinking BerserkerDay Wines Lately?

I think I’m down to just one or two Red Newt Rieslings…the rest of BD14 was enjoyed thoroughly (including a grassl glass I loved so much I accidentally broke it!).

Excited to discover more new producers (to me) this coming BD15

Ed has new Fall packs out - 6 pack (4 Pinot + Merlot + Grenache) and 4 pack (all Pinot)

1 Like

Actually just came here to post that.

working through a case of 2015 Chiron Cabernet - Paint of Moonlight - great stuff and in a nice window now

opened one bottle of 2019 Stereophonic Untrue in September and thought it was drinking very well particularly for young mountain fruit

regular drinker of Saunter Cabernet ESV - various vintages - fabulous wine and great QPR - sad that they are no longer producing

Totally agree…great wine, especially for the BerserkerDay price

1 Like

Too funny- just brought and opened a 2015 Saunter ESV Cab at a local resturant Tuesday. Even on PnP so aromatic and balanced. Would buy more if they come up on BD.

Saunter sent out an offer to Berserkers a few weeks ago, saying the are shutting down and they offered to sell some of their library stock, so I doubt there will be anything left by the time BerserkerDay comes around in January, but I hope I am wrong…

thanks kindly, mark.

This is fantastic! 2013 Humboldt County Reserve.

5 Likes

What a great showing for this B-day classic

3 Likes

Popped a 2015 Vincent Pinot Noir Temperance Hill tonight - why? Couple reasons: 1) it was one of the highlights of my post-IPNC Throwdown when 2015 was the vintage, and 2) because Marcus took me there, and wow, that’s a rugged, windy place to grow grapes!

6 Likes

I’ve posted a few times about it, but I can’t recommend Six Cloves highly enough. It’s not one for the SQN/Saxum crowd, but if you like elegant, low-ish abv, restrained wines, Sonoe’s wines are right up your alley.

My personal favorites are the 2021 Pinot (Sonoma), 2019 Chard (Adler Springs Vineyard farmed by Steve Matthiasson), and the 2019 Magnolia Bordeaux blend. I almost never reach for Bordeaux blends and their cousins when looking for a daily drinker/casual situation, but this Magnolia may be shoehorning its way into that discussion.

8 Likes

Went great with a Morgan Ranch tri-tip roast.

2 Likes

I started pulling some BD wines in anticipation of BerserkerDay. First up:

• 2013 Patricia Green Cellars Pinot Noir Estate Old Vine Ribbon Ridge - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Ribbon Ridge (1/7/2024)
    Pleasantly sour red cherry and a touch of spice with great acidity and resolved tannins. Good concentration. In a great place and goes down easy. Lacks some complexity, but that's a quibble; very enjoyable. (92 points)

There were no hard edges at all with this wine. Just fantastic.

2 Likes

2019 Orr Merlot. I put this wine in my ski bag to share apres ski. It was well balanced with red cherry and blackberry fruits and a long finish. It was a crowd pleaser and punched above its price point. I will definitely buy their BerserkerDay offer this year.

3 Likes

Opened our first 2020 Our Wines from a mixed case of 2017-2020 vintages from last year’s BerserkerDay.
There is obvious smoke taint. Loved all of the other vintages, but I can’t say that I’m really enjoying this bottle. :frowning_face:

1 Like

Closing out 2023
2019 Cave Dog Godello
2019 Goodfellow Chardonnay Berserker Cuvée Temperance Hill
2016 Keller Estate Chardonnay Peninsula Proprietor’s Blend La Cruz Vineyard
2018 Ladd Cellars Chardonnay
2017 Harrington Mission Somers Vineyard

2 Likes

How is the vermouth?
Did you drink it straight or use as mixer?
I might have to pick some up this year, if available. We go through lots of vermouth.

I’ve gone through 2 so far. I thought the 2017 was tremendous QPR.

• 2018 Our Wines Pinot Noir - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley (1/13/2024)
    Raspberry and rhubarb with a hint of earthiness. The fruit was tart and lightly bitter. We enjoyed the 2017 more than this wine, but still a good value for the ridiculously low price.
  • 2017 Our Wines Pinot Noir - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley (10/22/2023)
    No formal notes, but thought that this was quite nice. Restrained, balanced and at the beginning of a good window. Should drink well for 10-12 years from vintage.
2 Likes

We drank the Sun Break Rose Vermouth straight on the rocks and also mixed with a little club soda. I preferred it just on ice. It is dry, not sweet. I did not use it as a cocktail mixer but have a bottle lined up to do so. The botanicals are floral and herbal, light and crisp. 3% RS

I also have their red vermouth but have not tried it. That one is 9.5% RS, so probably right at home as a cocktail mixer

Also drank the Kelley Fox vermouth, straight up, chilled. That one hit the spot, bold, woodsy, lots of botanicals. Might be a bit strong in flavor for a cocktail mixer but delightful on its own

1 Like