Hangover Prevention - supplements

I don’t think it’s thought police to suggest avoiding a hangover in the first place. For thought police we have the politics forum and the asylum. I drink wine every day and haven’t had a hangover since I was a kid and thought the point of drinking was to get drunk. If you end up with a hangover, why not learn from that? Learn what your capacity is over an evening or a day.

But if you have hangovers often, like even several times a year, that’s telling you something. It’s not about being on a high horse, it’s people who care about their peers.

I always feel much better after a very intense cardio workout session, prefereably a multi-hour bike ride. Not sure it there is any science behind it, but I feel like I am sweating all the bad stuff out. It’s also quite invigorating. Did a great, 2.5 hour ride the morning after I had a wine function ay my house with Fu present, about a week or so ago. Reputedly, we knocked down quite a few bottles.

+1

As Chuck said, if you’re planning on entering a subscription for these remedies on Amazon, you may need to look at your drinking habits.

Anybody who likes wine the way we all do, needs to stay alert to the dangers of their own excesses and those of friends.

If someone posts a caution about drinking too much, and/or the health effects of drinking too much (however much that might be), AND that dissuades others from giving their views, THEN doesn’t criticizing the person for raising that caution also dissuade them from expressing their views?

Why not let people express their views, and people can take them seriously or not. I for one appreciate someone taking a different view or even challenging my view if it is well-informed. That is how we all learn.

By the way, my post is not meant to dissuade anyone from posting anything. I do find that personal attacks (which I don’t recall seeing on this thread) are silly and ineffectual – flashbacks to middle school. But the great thing about the internet is you can easily ignore the person – unlike the playground.

Reread post #8 and get back to me.

There are people out there with Thyroid issues and migraines who have very negative effects from vary modest consumption.

If they’re suffering hangovers regularly, then the same admonition applies to them: Treat the cause, not the symptom.

Yup.

Hangovers are your reward for overconsumption. I drink almost every day, but don’t overconsume. Or maybe I’ve built up an immunity

Same here. I drink almost everyday and never/rarely have a hangover. We are all built differently therefore you need to figure out what works for you.

You guys call me dumb.

Drink, get hangover, get better, repeat

Not complicated

I’ve found NAC helpful so have have focused on those products. Morning Recovery I’ve found helpful but a little overpriced, IMO. I’ve settled on Flyby based on a comparison with other products for the ingredients I’m interested in and price. It seems to work pretty well but it’s hard to say definitively, right?

I don’t usually get hangovers when drinking wine because in general I don’t drink it quickly so my body is able to keep up with my pace of drinking and/or I’m able to recognize that I’ve probably had enough. I tend to stay away from hard liquor because the faster onset of intoxication can prevent those two things from happening and lead to poor decisions. But there are times when going to bed I realize I’ve probably had too much to drink and for me it’s a good idea to take some better late than never steps to feel better the next day: lots of water and some supplementals.

Where does posting about your experiences fit in there? [wink.gif]

PWI?

Well . . . Barry states his case with passion! [cheers.gif]

FIFY

If there was something I could take that would lessen or otherwise mitigate the negative consequences of alcohol consumption (and provided there were no additional side effects), I would be very much interested. So, I don’t see the harm in such a discussion.

My guess is, there simply isn’t the common belief out there that such remedies exist, hence the admonitions.

Many of the posts on this thread, like a lot of recent activity on the Fait Main threads and the host of other threads further mocking the OP of the Fait Main thread, represent Wine Berserkers at its worst. Bullying, cliquishness, addressing thoughtful questions with dismissive snark and hypocritical simplistic judgments, what a great way to celebrate the forthcoming 10th anniversary of WB. I’m sure newcomers brought to the site by Todd’s BerserkerDay publicity can’t wait to join the community so they too can be lectured by other drinkers when they raise questions in a thoughtful and serious manner about products that may reduce some of the adverse effects of consumption of alcohol.

Same. Drink almost every day. Never have any ill-effects during or the next day. Drinking that much just doesn’t seem fun to me. YMMV.

Yup. Its the equivalent of the ‘I’d Drink Beer’ response on a ‘What Would You Choose From This List’ thread. You expect it every time but it doesnt make it any less annoying.

Pedialyte is a good way to go…

There’s also something called “Medialyte” which as I understand it is Pedialyte marketed to adults. Honestly I have not noticed it actually make a difference on the days where I’ve “over-participated”. I haven’t noticed a difference when I take medialyte and water before bed vs just water.