Half tonight; the remainder tomorrow night. Preservation?

Charlie, have you tried it with champagne?

Once. Didn’t work cause bottle was too lively. Will try again

Why leave it on the counter? Just moving it into the fridge slows down the oxidation and evaporation of volatile compounds considerably. From my experience bolder reds and sweeter wines can survive for a day (some even several) in room temp, but many dry whites and more fragrant reds start to suffer even overnight, coming across as slightly tired the next day.

Pungo.

I was surprised to only see one reference to Coravin until I re-read the title question. If I knew that I’d be drinking half tonight and half tomorrow, I’d feel comfortable re-corking and putting back in the fridge. However, my current approach is more often 5 oz of wine per night and I don’t drink wine every night. Thanks to Coravin, I often have two or three “open” bottles in the fridge. Wine seems to hold up pretty well for 1-2 weeks. The downside to this approach is that I occasionally get bored with whatever is open before it is gone.

Good point. I responded the way I did (with the Coravin hack) because I thought, why put yourself in that box (1/2 tonight and 1/2 tomorrow)?

However, if for some reason I always wanted to drink that way, I wouldn’t have my set-up. I’d just pour off to a 1/2 bottle and leave it in the cellar.

That said, I can’t imagine going back to thinking about it that way.

Yeah, there are times when I’d like one more sip. On the other hand it creates good discipline - by pouring half into a 375 before I start I make sure I don’t drink more than a half-bottle.

I am with Mike K.

I have had many years to think about this topic and perfect preservation, here is what developed.

Pull the cork, gently pour two glasses not modestly and immediately inject canned nitrogen and recork. You then have the option of pouring again with barely oxygenated wine, or putting it in the refrig for superior preservation. I tend to drink mature wines and this technique allows you to decant the next pours for both sediment capture and/or additional aeration if desired.

I use the CorkPops brand of canned nitrogen, Wine Preserver, $10 bucks treats 120 bottles, The well designed valve/nozzle eliminates straws, you just invert and push down three short times and recork. https://www.corkpops.com/products/wine-preserver

I found Vacuvin effects the aromatics of more delicate, mature wines after a couple of days
Pouring into a smaller bottle oxygenates ready to drink wines unnecessarily, but is OK with younger wines.

Count me with those who just leave it in the half-full original bottle. White wines go in the fridge always, even if I have to shuffle things to make space. Red wines go in the fridge sometimes, in the cellar at 55F sometimes.

So are you pouring about half a bottle immediately into a 16 oz Boston round and capping it? What do you do when you have less than a bottle leftover, or don’t pour half out right away? Thinking about buying some of these bottles and trying it.

Get a set of six 4 oz boston rounds. 6 for a full bottle of wine, 3 for a half bottle.

Been slowing down consumption dramatically lately and sometimes follow a wine over a week or more, usually by putting wine in smaller and smaller containers, old bottles do fine, no need to go to Boston or Prague or whatever glass you fancy boys use. Of course wine changes through time, but usually if the wine is any good, it will change dimensions and we should embrace the transformations. If it changes to a point where it is “undrinkable”, then it wasn’t good to begin with. Use it for cooking. Too many of us are too quick to simply chuck-it-out when wine meets our displeasure, I blame our American habit of wanting everything ‘perfect’ and our stupid wealth which gives us the means to carry this out, I doubt very much the ancient Greeks or Romans did this!

"Lying down and vomiting between courses: This is how Ancient Romans would feast" (according to a recent CNN article)

Have at it ! neener

I’m honestly very surprised more people aren’t using the active vacuum devices like the sowine/wineart I mentioned. I’ve loved mine and use it every single day.

Thanks Richard, interesting. Clearly you’ve done some work on this. One question–how long does a bottle last after injection and recorking?

I think you are right about moving wine oxygenating wine a little when transferring to a half bottle, but I have found that the ullage in a half full bottle seems to allows volatile compounds to escape from the wine and l leave the wine with less or almost no fruity flavors and aromas.

I’ve found that while vacuvin apparently protects the wine from oxygen to some degree, it also seems to accelerate the rate at which the volatile compounds escape from a wine. However, I haven’t noticed that a wine kept in a half-full bottle would leave the wine with no fruity aromas or flavors if kept in a fridge for a day or two, vacuvined or not.

I’ve never trusted a vacuum like device. The reason being is that it’s not removing all the air from the bottle. It’s basically removing a little bit of it causing what’s left to be under a pressure less than that of the outside air. It’s creating an environment that is basically just as apt to pull things out of the wine as protect it. Even if that doesn’t change anything I doubt it’s really removing enough oxygen to make much difference.

You’re right, it doesn’t remove all the air/oxygen and there is a suspicion in draws out enough volatile compounds to matter. I used to use a Vacuvin but my experience was that it was at least as good to just put the bottle in the refrigerator. I still use the rubber stoppers, though.

This thread has kind of split into two separate discussions, one about the original question and the other about what people do to preserve wine over a longer period because they don’t want to drink it over a couple of days, or so.

-Al

Only 4oz rounds. More of a hassle at the beginning but way more fun to have them once full.

Amazing what cachet calling them “Boston” gives. You couldn’t design something less fancy.