Halćon Offline #2 - Sat 10/21 Fires be damned! It’s still on.

21st is still working for us I’ll wait for guidance on which wines to bring. Note, however, that the Halcon Alturas '15s on the list that I sent to you are “pending.” I may or may not have them in the timeframe. Of course, if I can prevail on Paul to bring my order to this event, then I will, in fact, have them–plus some more to for our anniversary celebration on the 23rd.

champagne.gif

Paul has been known for his door to door delivery in the greater Bay Area. I’ll add you and Peggy to the list!

Checking the calendar, but I’m pretty sure I can make it. Maybe some of us traveling up there should consider renting an AirBnB within stumbling distance of the Tuite family compound. Even with all the poison oak pulled up, I’m leery of passing out in the yard. Critters…

Assuming I’m showing up, I can bring one to two bottles of everything except the '11 from Halcon di Halcon. (A play on Barolo di Barolo, get it? I’ll stop.) I’ve got one '11 left, and I will sacrifice it if necessary. I don’t have any of the other bottlings because they don’t come to my house and deliver.

Paul: If you want to bring me dried grape vines for my fall barbecuing needs, maybe this is the time. In any event, I think we might want to consider using some during the event to roast some lamb, French style…

Will you be bringing Deb? Nice idea on the rental.

Yep, with Deb. We’re putting it on the calendar tonight. If Mark, Rob or anyone else that I have met and didn’t have “he’s an axe murderer” feelings about wants to discuss a rental, let’s message or email, assuming you have mine.

I’m serious about cooking a leg of lamb over grapevines. I’d drive up early for a project like that. Lemme know. Lamb and syrah, man. At the least, we should make some merguez, which I could bring up from here.

For the sake of being fair to the wines, let’s try to get them from folks who won’t have to put them on a plane or travel very far in a car as much as that’s possible. I’m happy to chip in cash to anyone who is over providing and, as I said, I can provide 1-2 bottles of all the Halcon di Halcon from 2010-2015 so the Myriad/Copain/etc collectors don’t bear undue burdens.

I thought of Gavi di Gavi. [oops.gif] See how pedestrian I am. It’s hard enough for me to hang with the cool guys. Then I go and think of a white wine. Sheesh.

I’m in! Afterall, 3 years is long enough of a Forestville drought…

Had assumed I’ll be going up solo, but will make another pitch to Z tonight and into the weekend.

I’ll have a look at my Halcon and Syrah inventory. You still have that 11’ Big Table Farm? Would be awesome to check back on that 3 years hence.

It’s been awaiting your return!

Brian

I will bring 2016 barrel samples. Let me know what other vintages I should bring.

Thanks Paul. Looking at the OP we have all the wines covered one way or another but I don’t want to lay too heavy a burden on any on person, other than myself of course.

We need another '12 Copain and maybe an '11 Alturas.

Still pretty far off so it’s kinda hard to say. Eventually we’ll get the participant list settled as we have some uncommitted and Wes so far is the only one with the Rhys, Waxwing and Von Holt. If you have any of those that might help.

Update:
Loren Grossman generously donated his '15 and '16 Wilde Farm Halcon.
Jolie-Laide releases in a couple weeks so I’ll get the '15 and Scott Schultz said he would give us a '16 sample as well.
[berserker.gif]

On a very tangentially related topic, I just bought some Halcon Prado on the Last Bottle Marathon. That’s one of the non-Chardonnay wines that my Chardonnay-loving wife really enjoys.

[thumbs-up.gif]

Brian, CT inventory says I have 2 x 2011 Halcon Alturas, so I should be good for one of those.

Um, I have no personal involvement in this event, yet I would like to share with you a little bit of information that was passed on to me…

I frequently reach out to wineries to ask questions about their Mourvedre plantings and to request pictures of the vineyards for the “Mourvedre Appreciation Social Club” Facebook page. Here is the reply from Paul at Halcon Vineyards:

"We have just a single acre of Mourvedre planted in our vineyard (along with 2 acres of Grenache). We blend the Mourvedre and Grenache together - the Mourvedre provides lower brix and a reductive character to balance out the higher brix/oxidative Grenache.

“Frankly our vineyard is too cool for Mourvedre. We have never harvested more than 1 ton from the acre (and there are 2200 plants). Our May temps are very cold (cooler than Willamette Valley for instance) which leads to the development of lower fertile buds. The quality is great, just low quantity.”

I wish y’all the best in your event. Please post some TN’s and pics for the rest of us! :slight_smile:

OK, we’re a month out so it’s time to start talking attendance, food and logistics.

We still have three peolpe on the fence in Craig, Wes and Scott. If you guys could chime in with your intentions that would be great. If anyone else is interested please let me know.

Not sure what the weather will bring so I am planning to do inside or out depending on what happens.

I’m ordering some Hangers from Flannery, anything else anyone wants before I place the order? Flnnery burger blend? What else would you like to eat. Richard mentioned coming over early and roasting a leg of lamb. Speak up while we have time to act on it. I’m planning on firing my Weber and could light the Egg as well if someone wants to take over duties on it. Depends on what we are cooking though. Sides? Bills Corn? What’s your specialty?

Stems, I have 20 some odd non-pinot stems. If you have some you could bring please do so that we can do some side-by-side comparisons.

Loren Grossman is donating '15 and '16 Wilde Farm Halcon Syrah and Scott Schultz is donating a’16 Jolie-Laide sample. Thank you both!

It looks like I will have a lot of business travel in Oct. so I probably can’t make it.

We’re still in. Will bring our stems. We should organize some sides in addition to meat, we’ll bring something, maybe potato salad? Do we need more than one bottle of each wine?

Bummer, next time!

Brian,
My wife recently converted to Vegan. Bread and any type of veggies will do. Thanks for asking.

My condolences. We will abide.

I’m doubtful at this point.