Guess what I found (after 29 years) [TN added]

Yes, as I said in the original post, I thought at first the storage place had given me someone else’s wines. Then I noticed my notations on the price stickers with the source and date.

Wow that is amazing. Where was Guigal getting the grapes from for this bottling back then?

I’m not sure, but I think it was all bought fruit. Or maybe they had a small plot. I’d have to check the original Parker Rhone book, which isn’t at hand.

In those days, there were lots of vineyard owners in Hermitage, and the wine wasn’t in great demand, so it was easier for negotiants to obtain fruit.

Nice find! Hopefully your other wines will show up.

Your story about Jordan when it was hot stuff reminded me about trading for it, so put on your seat belt for this short and now almost unbelievable tale…

-1978 Jordan was on fire ($75+ per in the early to mid 80’s) and a client/friend of mine would show up with a bottle from time to time to trade with us.
-We had purchased/stolen some of the totally shutdown and unyielding 1978 La Tache for less than a song in Switzerland which we traded for the Jordan 1:1 !!!
-He was getting the Jordan for under $35 at a deli in a shopping mall, when the owner there would occasionally put out a bottle from his stash.
Oh my!

Or purchased wine!

Yes, all purchased wine, “vinified by the grower according to the Guigal formula,” according to the first edition of Parker’s Rhone book (1987) (p. 114).

Of the '76, he said, “a rich, very full-bodied, still tannic wine that will continue to repay keeping for another 5-7 years.”

Let me see, so drink 1992-1994…

Nice find!

Everytime I see something like this, I wonder to myself if in 30 years I’ll look back at a bunch of bottles I paid $100-200 for and think “Wow I can’t believe those were ONLY 3 digits”