GROM - best ice cream in town

I will- I’m not sure about the expertise, but all I meant was that I don’t usually buy commercial ice cream, either making my own or eating it occasionally in restaurants. This was very good indeed, though I prefer an unroasted pistachio ice cream.

The one in Birmingham last Saturday night had a huge queue. In fact we had trouble parking for our reservation at hot and hot because of all the people eating ice cream in their cars. My son says its okay, but not worth the wait in line. He says it is all about the selfie.

Her ice cream cookbook is recommended, too.

I didn’t know there was one. Thanks!

We have a Jeni’s shop in our town. It’s dangerous!

Unfortunate town!

I tried GROM’s location in the Marais because the line at the takeout window for the place on Rue du Roi de Sicile was too long. The pistache was OK, but I wished I had waited.

Glaces, out below Sacré-Cœur, gets my vote for the best in the city, in part because of the intensity of the flavors.

In general, the US does top end ice cream a little bit better than Europe.

I’m conflicted about this statement. For most fruit flavors, I haven’t found any US ice cream or sorbet to match the top gelato I’ve had in Italy (especially an orange gelato I had one sunny March day in Naples). OTOH, for non-fruit flavors, my favorite shops here in the US seem to do better. Maybe part of that is that I’ve had the luck to live pretty close to some good shops, and been able to taste through their flavors and get to know which are best.

Salt and Straw gets all the publicity here in PDX, but my favorite is Pinolo Gelato. A lot of the Salt and Straw ice creams are a bit heavy for me.