Greatest Pinot Noir Vineyard in California

Gary’s
Rosella’s
Kanzler

Are my 3 favorites. Better yet, there are several wineries that source from Gary’s and Rosella’s so you get some different interpretations of the vineyards.

I am with you.

I’ll add Beaux Frere’s Upper Terrace.

Santa Cruz Mountain winery’s vineyard is way up there.

The Rochioli Vineyard, I just had to name again.

What part of California is the Upper Terrace vineyard?

WS Allen
Gaps Crown
Marcassin

D’oh!

My brain read " 'Merica," and I tossed in an Oregon!

A thousand pardons!

Sadly, one of the greatest no longer exists - Windsor Gardens

Another vote for Calera’s Selleck and Jensen.

Brian, I couldn’t agree more about Windsor Gardens. Years ago, we were tasting at Merry Edwards, and I was floored by the Windsor Gardens. It was the last vintage from that vineyard before it was cleared for housing. Very sad.

Cheers,
Scott

I could be wrong…but if we’re going to follow a Cru system designating them as “Grand” shouldn’t they produce wines that are Grand for a prolonged period like 25+ years?? Just because Pinot Noir is “relatively new” for California there should be a system that we look to. For a site to be considered “Grand” I’d like to see 20 out of 30 years with 10+ producers making “Classic” (95+ points on the 100 point scale) wines from the same vineyard. I think that’s a lot to ask for…but I’m not invested in land, wine, or making wine from California. I think that people that are would most likely want to shorten the time-frame for their own benefit. People have already names plenty of amazing sites…but the question is how do we differentiate if it’s the site and a wine maker together or just the site? That’s why I’d want to see many people making great wines from that site. Then it’s obvious that it’s the site and not the wine maker’s handling of the fruit.

I have a strong sentimental attachment to Hanzell because I visited it in the early 70s with my dad who was a retailer. I love it’s gnarly old vines too. I’ve also have enjoyed some very good PNs from there but I actually think the Chardonnay has been their best wine, IMO. I’m also wondering if someone, like Harvey, today armed with what we now know about exposure, soil etc looking for a prefect PN terroir would even pick this spot. I think, the original owner picked it more for it’s serenity of location then the expectation it would make a great PN. I could be wrong about that but I think that is the story. Again, I’m a fan and agree its worth mentioning but, I’d pick Mt Eden over it and I’m guessing smart guys like Harvey, armed with modern data, have done an even better job of picking a potential Grand Cru location for American PN. Mt Eden isn’t the perfect terroir either but the I think their PNs have been consistently more successful wines. Again, for my palate.

He may the one old timer, who was on a mission to replicate the sort of conditions and soil he believed made Burgundy great.

I largely agree with your assessment Craig. That being said we have both have had lovely aged PN from that vineyard, sometimes nearly 35-40 y/o wines I bet. Got to count for something in terms of this discussion? Hanzell PN seems to get that mushroom thing down, more so than any sweet aspect. Their clonal variety is quite strong IMO.

We love their Chardonnay, had the 2012 yet? Epic Hanzell.

Yes, just had the '12 Chardonnay and loved it!

“12/17/2014 rated 93 points: Really impressed by this tonight. This is as close to Grand Cru as CA gets IMO. Laser beam of minerality, citrus and other flavors just out of reach for descriptors. Vibrant zingy acidity but nothing like a bland muscadet. Even though $70 is a lot to pay CA Chardonnay I’m cool with buying more of these. Drinks like a highend $100+ Puligny Montrachet. Pale gold color and very floral. American wine royalty living up to its pedigree. Thankfully, most wine geeks don’t know it even exist. This will be even better in 2-3 years. Alc 14.5% but feels more like 12%.”

Hanzell is one of those places that became more than the sum of its parts because of its old vines and unique winemakers like Bob Sessions. Too bad the pricing is a bit stout since Session’s wife took over a while back. I spoke with her on the phone before dropping off the list sometime ago and she explained to me that she felt their wines were underpriced. She is, undoubtedly, a savvy marketing / sales person and I never really agreed even if it was just sound business. I have since picked them up retail at a discount.

I’d put Hanzell on the long list too. However, isn’t Hanzell a collection of vineyards? For a “cruing” system would we need to tier their actual vineyards and not the winery?

From their website:

Originally called Hanzell Farm, the estate is comprised of the following vineyards – Ambassador’s 1953 Vineyard, Zellerbach Vineyard, Day Vineyard, de Brye Vineyard, Sessions Vineyard, and Ramos Vineyard.

Rich, before Jean Sessions took over it was just one vineyard. She’s a marketer :slight_smile: She rebranded the original vineyard to “1953 Ambassadors Vineyard” and charges more for it now.

That would disqualify Romanee-Conti and La Tache.

Introducing points into the equation is a little strange. Whose points? If people are saying a vineyard is the best in the state, you can take that as another way of saying that they think the wines are worth enough “points” to qualify. If you’re limiting it to WS/WA points as some type of pseudo-official authority, that sort of defeats the purpose of a discussion board where everyone has their own opinions, no?

Kirk,

I am fine with a stricter standard, but how many Grand Cru sites in Burgundy could claim to have 10+ producers making 95-100pt wine for 20 out of 30 years? You’d be leaving out La Tache, Romanee-Conti, and most others…

Also, you could largely toss everyone out in Burgundy if the period looked at was the mid-60s through the early 80s… neener

Adam Lee
Siduri Wines

Hanzell does have multiple vineyards. Certainly the oldest would command discussion.

12 Chardonnay blew us away, agree with your P-M alignment Craig.

Mike,

I don’t know for sure but I will ask at the next pickup party. [cheers.gif]