Great Little Wine From......SLOVENIA???

So a local wineshop manager convinces me (don’t know how) to buck up $39 for a Slovenian pinot called Movia Pinot Nero. So I give it a try tonight completely expecting to use it as cooking wine later but what I find is a surprisingly pleasant Burgundian style pinot. This is from the 05 vintage and it has excellent earth tones with bright red fruits and smooth subtle tannins. I’d say this is 80% Burgundy and 20% sweet CA pinot fruit. I’d buy this all day long as an everyday drinker and at 12.5% alcohol…it doesn’t get me loopy after finishing the bottle. Nice find. Nice recommendation and for the life of me…I can’t understand the sole rating of 70pts on Cellartracker. Maybe that guy was already drunk off half a case of Budweiser.

http://www.foodandwine.com/articles/ales-kristancic-wine-genius-of-slovenia

Why would you be incredulous about the quality of Slovenian wine? They have some great winemakers there, but the distribution is sketchy here in the States, to say the least. I am sure people thought the same thing of Italian wines before.

I’ve just never heard of or even considered Slovenia to be on the radar for making great wine. I’d say this is in the 90-93pt range so am I surprised to have never heard of it?? Yes…a bit. I’m gonna buy some more and make it my ringer in some pinot tastings.

This has more to do with your perspective than anything else. There are ‘great’ wines made all over the world, except for the lack of multi-decade track record and name recognition. Which from a collector’s perspective disqualifies them from being ‘great’.

I suppose the unfortunate thing with wine is it has a finite shelf life. Artists, composers and the like have time on their side, even posthumously strangely enough, to reach a critical mass. Wine being an artisan product is meant to be consumed and has trouble being both large enough in volume and sufficient enough in longevity to capture a share of the wine world’s mind. There is a shourtcut–uber critics–but how many are going to put in the effort to unearth greatness off the beaten path when Bordeaux, Napa and the odd domestic cult wine are ripe for the picking?

You’d think it would behoove some of the critics to spot taste wines from around the world available in local stores or through distributors and post scores. While I appreciate the critics covering wine “regions”, might it be highly educational and helpful to the general wine community to spot test wines from outer regions? Now THIS would be a valuable resource for the wine community as the way it stands now, I have to find out about these great finds from local retailers…and I’m thankful for them.

I love Movia, both the wine and the stemware. Can you PM which store is carrying them so I don’t have to ship in from here http://www.italianwinemerchants.com/Movia-s/173.htm. Thanks.

+1 on the store, I’m in VA so it should be (nearly) local.

There are a couple of local restaurants that have Movia Pinot Nero on their wine lists. Usually the best deal on the list.

A lot of Slovenian wine is made in what is basically the eastern extension of the best zona in Friuli. There are even wineries with vines on both sides of the border and at least a few with buildings on both sides.

My wife and I spent a week in Slovenia 10 years ago and among the many things that surprised/dazzled us about the country were the food and the wine. We were not much into wine back then but it definitely kick-started our passion for the grape. Since then I have always kept an eye open for Slovenian wines and have discovered that the Slovenes are voracious consumers of the wines from their country which means relatively little gets exported. Movia is definitely a high-quality name that seems to have decent representation here in the USA but for the remainder it seems that quantities are too small and inconsistently available for a distributor to make the effort to educate the market about the fine wines from this great country.

In light of this I recommend that you put Slovenia on your travel itinerary and drink their delicious wines on location. You will not be disappointed.

Definitely not ITB, either wine or travel.

I picked mine up from a shop in Easton, MD called The Wishing Well. I can see if they have more and if not, they can likely order it.

You’d think it would behoove some of the critics to spot taste wines from around the world available in local stores or through distributors and post scores.

Justin that’s true but nobody really pays attention. Croatia, Slovenia, Bulgaria, even Greece and Hungary - nobody really wants to talk about those wines all that much. Critics are like everyone else - they want to talk about how wonderful some Burgundy is, or how wonderful some Bordeaux, but some of those countries have longer wine histories than France and yet nobody really cares to hear or talk about those wines.

Every once in a while someone will write an article about Greece, which is making some fine wines these days, but there’s not great distribution and there’s not great press and there’s not a lot of demand. One of the big issues with some of those countries is that their wine industries were really crippled by being behind the iron curtain. So when the US became really interested in wine, those countries were in no shape to participate. I’ve been going to Hungary since 1990 and the wines are pretty much world class today but all anyone knows is essencia. Slovenia is even farther behind, but they’ve been working really hard and are putting out some damned good stuff these days. So is Serbia, although I don’t think any is imported to the US.

It’s not a knock to anybody, just an observation. But it wouldn’t be a bad idea to do little articles on those lesser-known regions and countries. If I were inclined to blog, that might be something I’d attempt.

As it is, you’ve discovered the current solution. It’s stores like the one you visited, or Roberto’s, that convince people to try those little wines.

And you’ve also pointed up another problem. The wine cost you $39. Most people are not inclined to take on that kind of an experiment. For $12, maybe, for $20 well, if you’re really convincing, but for $39, you may be one of a dozen or so people willing to take a chance.

If you like the reds, you’d be floored by the whites!

That’s funny. For a minute there I thought you said $39!

$39 it was. I’ll likely get them cheaper if ordering them through a local shop. I think I’ll order a case of the Pinot Nero and a few bottles of everything else they offer through the Maryland system just to try them out. I might work with some of the MD distributors to taste through their “odd ball” offerings from various countries in order to get a better understand of what else might be out there. While I don’t really consider myself a “value” drinker (gotta make sure I’m not killing my liver at the expense of mediocre wine), I have to say that the Movia pinot could hold it’s own to many of the 1er Cru Burgs out that there from the better known producers. I’ll be interested in see what the local Burg geeks think when I stick it in our next blind tasting.

+1 on the knockout whites. My only experience was with the 2007 Marof Renski Rizling. For me the selling points were the chance to try one of my favorite varietals from a new country and trying a riesling spelled with a Z. These alone were probably enough to keep me happy, but it was one of those wines that was memorable because it blew away my expectations for the country and the price point ($22). It was bone dry and had fantastic body and structure.

Imported by Weygandt, so you can find it in the DC area.

Chris,

Try some Ribolla Gialla next time. Movia makes excellent ones.

It does not show this being the case on the store’s website. The only Slovenia producer listed is Marof. http://www.weygandtwines.com/wine-slovenia.htm