Great Burgundy/Great Appetizer Combo?

Epoisses is the cheese to choose!

Strongly considered this, but as a cheese it would be too strong for this group to enjoy once the Burguny was done. I could polish off the leftovers by myself, but my wife would be avoiding me for about a week afterwards.

Citeaux is another great Burg cheese, hard to find.

Also consider some well made vitello tonnato - will not overpower the wine, is delicious and can be made in small servings. Drawback is that you need a butcher who can cook the veal and slice it very thinly, unless you can do that at home. Our butcher roasts the veal lightly, which isn’t the “real” way to do it, but I find the veal in this case to be a lot more juicy that a badly boiled piece of veal.

That’s what everyone says, but I’ve never found it to be a great match. Not if the Epoisses is ripe, anyway. I find ripe Epoisses to be a good match for young burgundy with more muscle than finesse*. Other than that, I think it’s a poor match for red burg. And definitely not a good match for fine old wines whose greatest strength is their finesse.

I know this is a minority opinion, but I’m also not alone.

*As in, the kind of red burgundy I avoid.

Stuffed portobellos w/ duck confit, cherries, butter, crumbled crackers, and a few drops of cranbetry pear balsamic vinegar.

IMG_3284.JPG

According to my friend George Lewis (he got the tip from Howard Cooper) nothing beats boiled peanuts and white burgundy. I am going to try it since we get some of the best boiled peanuts here. Pretty sure it would go well with red too.

[cheers.gif] [winner.gif] If George told you boiled peanuts and white Burgundy, that is a modification from what I said. He and I discussed boiled peanuts and red Burgundy. It goes way back to an offline when someone said he loved red Burgundy with popcorn. I said that I thought it went better with boiled peanuts. George started laughing, but at a later tasting I brought some boiled peanuts to try with the red Burgundy and he liked it. I cannot remember ever trying boiled peanuts with white Burgundy, but, why not - boiled peanuts and Burgundy go with about anything. If I was being honest, I think boiled peanuts go best with a German Spatlese.

This whole thing really goes back to many years ago when I first got married. My wife and I flew down to be with my parents for Thanksgiving. We got to my parent’s house at about 8 or 9 on the Tuesday or Wednesday night before Thanksgiving. All we had had to eat was airport food and mom had made some boiled peanuts. So, we were all eating boiled peanuts. Dad asked if I wanted him to open a bottle of wine, and I said of course. So, he pulled out a 1971 Richebourg from Domaine Clos Frantin. I have wonderful memories of that evening eating boiled peanuts and drinking Richebourg with my father. Life does not get any better than that.