Gratuity tax?

One would think that would be the easiest and most logical solution. Because that’s just what it is. Why make it less clear with euphemisms.

However… the industry hangs on to what it knows, what its comfortable with. Its muscle memory. Plus, as sure as I’m standing here some ass clown will pay the “service charge”, tack on 20% gratuity, then find out they over did it and feel “wronged”. Its a no-win situation.

I did love my time in Europe for its simplicity on this matter.

California requires restaurants to pay tipped staff the minimum wage, with no credit for tips. The minimum wage varies by location, that that requirement does not.

-Al

Read your cell phone bill lately? They pioneered this practice of passing on random taxes or just costs of doing business as additional taxes to “avoid” raising prices

My Palm Beach rental car this week:

Quoted: $54.36

Service Charges:
Concession Recoupment Fee: $6.38
Vehicle Licensing Cost Recovery: $1.41
Frequent Flyer Surcharge: $0.07
FLA Surcharge: $6.06
Energy Surcharge: $1.49
Tax: $4.88

Total actually paid: $74.57

And presumably tax is levied on the total price? Not total less 20% deemed tip? :slight_smile:

I’m curious how Tax is handled at any “pay what you can” facility (thinking of some theatres say). Are they required to charge tax. I’m guessing yes. Really if you accept the premise of sakes and service or value added tax it’s a bit of an anomaly that tips are not all taxed. (As all tips are theoretically subject to income tax).
It’s a funny business model. Imagine a car repair shop paying minimum wage and relying on tips…
But then there’s a lot that’s funny about the restaurant business e.g. Under charging for food and over charging on wine. But that’s another thread I think. [stirthepothal.gif]

Things being common in the wireless indsutry <> things being common in the restaurant industry.