Graciano?

Funnily enough, the local wine review sight I subscribe to had reviewed one a couple of days ago which made me have a look at what we have in Australia and it seems like there are a few around from a bunch of different regions. Most but not all sit between that AU $20 - $40 price point. There is one that I have known about for quite a while from North Eastern Victoria, but I didn’t realize how far back it went. They have been producing a straight Graciano since the 1960s and the plantings go back to the 1920s.

Vivanco in Rioja make single varietal wines. They’re a bit expensive, tried the Graciano from them and it’s a high acid grape, very earthy with some green/veggie notes.

Riojan producers are using it more to freshen up their wines. I know Roda started adding 5-8% in their Roda I (previously 100% Tempranillo) and Cirsion. From what their technical director says it’s one of the ways their adapting their wines/vineyards to global warming.

the 2017 Turtle Rock Maturin is a Graciano lead blend, James Berry Fruit. Jeb gave it 99 points. I haven’t opened one yet, but it sounds tasty. Similarly I haven’t opened a 3rd Twin either. But Graciano has come out of the closet in Paso, and joins Syrah, Grenache, and Mourvedre as sought after fruit.

Bodegas Contino (part of the CVNE group) has been making graciano based wine for many, many years. Try the ones made during the time of Jesús de Madrazo (left in mid 2017).

Yep.

He was the pioneer doing it as a monovarietal.

Oscar Tobia does one as well.

Nothing done in CA that I’ve had yet is similar, which is probably OK. It may end up being like Malbec in Mendoza vs Cahors - an entirely different iteration.

I can’t imagine what Krankl would do with it.