Goodfellow Relative Quality

That’s not what sappy means.

I have seen sappy used in my context, and regardless I provided the context of how I intended to use it.

Googling further:
Rosenthal describing Hubert Lignier Chambolle 1er Cru as “The palate is round but well structured, with generous, sappy fruit”.
Someone asking the question themselves: What does "sap" or "sappy" mean to you? | Wine Spectator Forums
And … just found one thread on WB from 2010: issue #1 of Burghound: 1998 La Tâche: Stunning nose of red and black fruits, oriental spices, tea and leather notes. Intensely sappy flavor with wave after wave of ever changing flavors. The personality here is edgy, cool, confident and pure with the ripe acidity framing the flavors. The Richebourg is long but the La Tâche is even longer. A great effort. (95)
What does the term "sap" or "sappy" mean to you? - WINE TALK - WineBerserkers
by John Morris » December 26th 2010, 9:09am
Hmmm. “Sappy” looks like it is quickly going the way of “minerality” – becoming utterly meaningless because it’s applied utterly inconsistently by different people.

Not sure what point you are trying to make, but then wasn’t sure what point you were trying to make earlier.

Their heritage wines with a few years really remind me of 1er Fourrier. That same type of bright :banana:

4 Likes

That’s precisely the point of this thread. If someone says I paid $50 for this bottle and for me it drinks as good as a GC Burg, that’s the type of feedback that is useful. Not what I’m expecting necessarily but just an outsized example.

2 Likes

I’m in if we can also organize the Rousseau tasting with @Alex Valdes that same weekend!

Do you guys have a date for that? Once you have that date, we can lock in the date for Goodfellow and start a thread. I’ve wanted to do something like this for a while - and I think Marcus may also be willing to sell a library wine or two for the mix as well.

1 Like

As Bob Wood used to say I think they are truly shitty.

2 Likes

Completely agree. Very few Oregon Pinots (at least the ones recommended here that I gravitate towards) I have tried were every sappy.

Sorry, I don’t drink Burgundy, so I can’t answer your question.

It’s been mentioned numerous times, but for earlier consumption I would suggest the WV or AVA specific wines versus the SV and Heritage wines.

3 Likes

“Grand Cru” sites have been bantered about in other Oregon threads over the years.

2 Likes

+2

Marcus makes beautiful chardonnay and Pinot noir where he makes it. IMO they’re some of the best wines in the valley. I see zero reason to make any comparison to a region that he doesn’t make wine in.

1 Like

Have to agree with David on this one. Fascinating discussion. I like the Heritage wines quite a bit but rarely open them given the structure that needs time to resolve. A recent ‘12 was only just starting to soften.

Hmmm…I like Marcus’ wines, and I like Jean-Marie’s wines a lot and I don’t agree with that. I don’t really find them all that similar.

1 Like

Sure, the 2016 Goodfellow might have been more pleasurable, but that’s not really a statement about either wine. The villages from Lignier would have been more pleasurable too, at a much more similar cost. I just had a 2014 DRC Echezeaux, and I strongly suspect I’d have enjoyed a Goodfellow wine more too - but that’s not because of their relative quality. It’s not a QPR point.

I don’t have enough experience with Goodfellow to answer the question, even if I understood it. But I don’t.

I don’t know what “drinks like a good 1er cru means.” At what age? From what producer? So many more questions like that. If I had to define what I think differentiates the different burgundy levels, it would be as much about aging curve and, in some cases, treatment as it would be about quality.

Can you do the last weekend in April in Manhattan? Sounds like that works for 3 others.

guess you’ll have to be blinded on em together like I blinded people on em together ;p

I am always happy to be embarrassed on blinds, though the one Fourrier vintage that I consistently get wrong (as in, don’t call Fourrier) is 2015. The fruit ion Goodfellow and Fourrier isn’t similar to me.

I think it’d be interesting to blind some say, 07 high quality Oregon wine and burgs.