Goodfellow and Burgs NYC - **After Party** (Fri 6/10/22)

Sorry folks fully invested in this Celtics game, not gonna make it.

Best Berserker event ever. If you missed it you missed it.

2 Likes

Great event and great work by Rodrigo B and Sh@n A to put last night together. Fortunate to meet so many wonderful people and see so many friends in the same place. Also, special thanks to Marcus Goodfellow and Meghan - while I didnā€™t get to taste too many, I thought the wines I did try showed wonderfully.

1 Like

Fantastic meeting up with the group. Hope everyone had a great time! Thanks to all that made it out and for all the wonderful wine brought and shared

2 Likes

Thank you @sha@n and Rodrigo B for arranging the event.

It was great to reconnect with old friends and make some new ones.

1 Like

Thanks to Sh@n and Rodrigo for organizing and Marcus and Megan for coming; I thought the blind tasting was very fun and the goodfellows showed fantastically. I didnā€™t take formal notes on the wines in the blind tasting but I was especially impressed by the 12 and 19. I think in most cases you could tell which wine was from Oregon but in many cases I also thought the Oregon wine was drinking better. I thought it was an extremely impressive showing and clearly Marcus and Megan are making superb wines.

It was really fun to meet everyone and nice to hang out in a group setting!

Here are a few quick notes; I didnā€™t get close to having everything that was present as it was a deluge of wines so I stuck to mostly drinking Burg.

Krug 166 (from mag): a bit tight, but showing great promise. Lots of lemon zest and acidity without as much fruit as Iā€™d like on the palate.

2010 Matello Pinot Gris
Once it was cooler this showed much more texture than I would have expected, quite elegant.

1997 Hubert Lignier MSD 1er La Riotte

No experience with this vineyard but this wine was beautiful and a good example of how good aged burgundy from a good producer can be. Lovely aromatics with lots of earth and sous bois, with beautiful pure currants. Super finish. This was one of the wines of the night for me.

2000 Trapet Chambertin

WOTN for me, this was everything youā€™d want in a burg and Iā€™m happy I have a few more of these. Beautiful earth, currants and framboise, palate had grip but was super elegant and the finish was endless. Very true to Chambertin.

1990 Trapet Chambertin

This was tertiary and felt advanced; some stewed plums on the nose and the palate had some weight but finish was a bit gritty. Sad because I think this could have been spectacular.

2002 Mugneret Gibourg Clos Vougeot

Lovely aromatics with a bit more rusticity than I would have expected. Very elegant on the palate and nice finish. I thought it was interesting this didnā€™t feel weightier or more dense than the vosne romanee, but quite lithe. Iā€™m glad I have a couple of these.

2005 Mugneret Gibourg Vosne Romanee

I figured this would be tight and it certainly was. Didnā€™t open up very much until it was open for a couple hours but once it did it had some vosne spice and pretty aromatics with a bit of crunch, some transparency and a long finish. Beautiful. Not a blockbuster but such a joy to drink.

2017 Mugneret Gibourg Vosne Romanee

Charming and much more approachable. Lovely focused bright red fruits, and some acidity. Finish was a bit shorter than the 05 but this was much readier to go right out of the gate. Another wine I could sip on all day.

2002 Rossignol Trapet Chambertin

Iā€™d kind of expected this to be tight but it was pretty generous right after opening. Fruit felt a little higher toned than the Trapet, with perhaps a bit less elegance but a bit more punch. Nice finish, I enjoyed this a lot and it wouldā€™ve been interesting to see how the 02 Trapet would have compared; I suspect it would have been more structured.

2001 Chateau Musar

This was drinking really nicely. All sorts of aromas that changed even in the short time it was in my glass with some feral and barnyard scents. Very interesting finish.

2006 Sylvain Carthiard Vosne Romanee

Some people thought this was corked but I didnā€™t get that. Iā€™m not very tca sensitive but I didnā€™t feel the palate hollowness or lack of fruit that youā€™d expect. It did feel tight and not particularly giving though and didnā€™t have the vibrancy the MGs had.

There were a bunch of other wines poured that I didnā€™t have notes on. I loved the St Innocent, Keller and the older Oregon wines I tried.

6 Likes

I donā€™t know how you have the fortitude and skill to write 15 paragraphs of notes so early, man. Or to even take so many notes in the first place. I barely have notes from the formal tasting. What can I say, Iā€™m impressed.

I agree with you that the regions were distinguishable. To my surprise I got all of them right after announcing loudly that Iā€™d make a fool of myself.

I also agree on the Oregons drinking better. Except for the 2012 Dā€™Angerville Fremiets, which showed better than the Heritage 1, Goodfellow wines were uniformly better for me on every other flight, something I must have told Marcus a dozen times, but which I want to state for the record here.

I do respectfully disagree on the Krug though. Normally I hate oxidative Champagne but this was showing beautifully for me. I didnā€™t get lemon though. There was a ton of marzipan (with a sweetness on the nose but not the palate) in a magical way that demanded another sip; like drinking Christmas in June.

This message took half an hour to write. When I recover Iā€™ll read the rest of your notes.

It was great meeting everyone last night and thanks to @Sh@n A and @Rodrigo B for organizing and Marcus and Megan for taking the time to join us. I thought it was a really strong showing for the Oregon wines and there is a lot to look forward to down the road

I think the Krug had been open for longer when you had it; that probably helped.

I think it illustrated how tough blind tasting can be; Hudelot Noellat Bourgogne rouge is one of our house wines, although I havenā€™t had too many bottles of the 19 yet.

1 Like

Sounds like an awesome get together! [cheers.gif]

Thank you all for sharing! I started a new thread for the Goodfellow/Burg TN - very keen to hear otherā€™s thoughts!

Thank you all for being so generous with the wines. I was feeling pretty swell with what I thought was a flight of 2002, 2005 and 2017 Mugneret Gibourg Vosne in front of me! I thought the 2002 was cut from the same cloth as the others but noticeably better/wow, and now it makes sense as it was a CV!

I think it was interesting to see how the Mugneret Gibourg were different; thereā€™s been a bit of a winemaking change as well as the vintages being very different. I thought the 17 was actually drinking really well.