Good bye/by/buy Ridge Monte Bello

Drink the wine. You won’t regret it!!!

I’ve seen this thread every year for the past three years.

If you email nicely you can bypass the estate bottles. You could always save the money spent on the estate and futures and use that to backfill older vintages.

1 Like

Yep. It was crazily underpriced for a long time. Secondary market price has shot up, too, and still a steal compared to most Napa Cabs.

Has the winemaking style changed at Ridge? The last few zins I’ve had seem to be more of the Dolly Parton strain. I thought 2018 Geyserville was undrinkable. Maybe my palate has changed.

I am also on the edge of dropping off. Mostly because the main attraction was going to the assemblage tastings (one of the best wine tastings events ever!) and they do not seem to be doing them any more. Also getting to the point where, at my age, waiting 15-20 years to drink them is questionable at best.

I don’t know if they are going to start doing the Monte Bello assemblage tastings again, but they did have a tasting up in Healdsburg yesterday that we went to. They were pouring the Assemblage of the 2021 Lytton Springs, along with the 2019 and 2014 Lytton. They also had the '14 GSM and the '18 (I think) Petite. The main difference was that the appointments were in 90 minute windows and everyone was at a separate table versus the larger crowds. It was very enjoyable.

We have been buying Monte Bello for several years and will continue to do so. Days like yesterday are part of the reason why, besides the Monte Bello being so good.

Nope, it is for all MB buyers so I’m out as well but have a backlog of 3 cases so no worries for me.

Has Ridge been sending out emails regarding a change or something? I’ve been on the list for 11 vintages and I’ve never been obligated to buy the estate wines.

I see it on the website but that’s been there for a while and as far as I know, only applies to new sign ups.

I received an email. I have been on the MB list for a long time.

Helpful, thanks for sharing. Maybe we can get some data points around this?

I haven’t received an email and I purchase a case every year. For those that have received the email, how much MB do you purchase?

Maybe it’s tied to your purchase history and/or quantity?

1 Like

maybe buy the odd bottle on secondary market, as and when you feel you want another bottle?

1 Like

I bought at least 1/2 case per year for 20+ years. Some years a whole case and visited there 6 times.

2 Likes

The one way you’ll get an answer as to why is to give Ridge a call.

Was told that this year’s upcoming release is tiny (similar to last year) and that the “majority” of people on the futures list will not receive an allocation. If they do what they did with the 18’ and withhold futures allocations because there’s “not enough” only to turn around and sell them direct from the winery at marked up prices, that may do it for me.

I’m curious as to whats going on. Anyone care to post the email received?

1 Like

I have received no such email. I just searched my email archive to make sure I didn’t miss it, and I did not get anything. That’s not to say that it might not be coming soon, but as of right now, nothing.

1 Like

I got an email a couple of days ago notifying me that the Estate wines (Chard, Merlot, Cab) are going to ship soon. This was at the bottom of the email:

A Note About 2021 Futures
We are currently assessing the 2021 vintage of Monte Bello and will be in touch regarding the availability of a futures offering following our Winemaking Team’s first assemblage tastings this spring.

I signed up for the Monte Bello Collector’s Club in 2019.

I don’t think they’ve sent any official info yet. I had emailed them about another order and asked about the upcoming MB allocation.

I went back and read the email, it was in reference to the “exceptionally small” 2021 vintage so I apologize for the miscommunication if one thought it was for the 2019 vintage.

Here’s part of the email response…

“For reference, the production of the 2021 vintage was exceptionally small (smaller than 2020) which will mean most of our members will not receive their allocation and will all be dependent on tenure in the club.”

Wine writers used to criticize wineries for releasing their wines at the same price as wineries that had been in the biz for much longer. They would say, when Chateau Grand Funk shows a track record they then should charge more…but not until!! Of course, none of these writers had ever read a book on pricing strategy. They were just thinking, shouldn’t these people develop a history of excellence before getting greedy??

Now, if I understand it, Ridge is charging what would be considered low mid-range for a Napa winery. Is that correct?? Doesn’t a bottle of Harlan cost 3X a Monte Bello?? Screaming eagle…5X?

Around 1978 I helped arrange a two night tasting of every Ridge Monte Bello ever made. Paul came because my friend had wines in his cellar Paul didn’t have. Take it from me: the wines age well. Most of you know that.

Since then Paul and the people at Ridge have made over 40 vintages.

I think they have a track record.

5 Likes

I don’t think there’s any question Ridge will allocate the MB to their different distribution channels, just as they did for the 2018 vintage and do every year. That includes distributors, retailers, restaurants, and winery direct sales, at full retail, in 2024, in addition to this year’s futures offering. If the 2021 production is tiny, the amounts will be less for all channels, but they aren’t going to completely starve one in favor of another. If that does it to you …

2 Likes