Going to Vienna - which up and coming Austrian producers to look out for?

Barry, I don’t recall a by the glass list as we ordered a bottle off the list. As Mast is a full fledged wine bar (with fabulous food) I would be amazed if they didn’t have an extensive by the glass program.
We enjoyed the wine, food and atmosphere at Mast more than all our other Vienna restaurants including a a couple much more expensive.

Tom

Awesome! I lived there for 2 years in my student days and absolutely love the city.

Have a snack at Trzesniewski (“unpronounceably good”) followed by a beer in Café Hawelka down the street.

I used to go to the Heurigen north east of the city (Langenzersdorf) which are awesome. Try Terrassenheuriger Trimmel for great food and a great setting.

In terms of wineries, in addition to Tement mentioned above, I really like Wachter-Wiesler in Burgenland for some phenomenal Blaufränkisch, particularly their Eisenberg one.

If you head to the Wachau, book lunch at Jamek and ask for a table in the garden so your kid can roam around and you can enjoy some great food paired with their own wines.

If I may give some unsolicited other advice: don’t restrain yourself too much in doing fun stuff just because there is a kid around. You are still entitled to a good time as well. Just pace it and ensure you bring plenty of stuff to draw or color and Duplo/Lego.
I have 4 kids (3, 6, 8 and 10 years old) and have done dozens of wine tastings and winery visits with them playing around in a corner somewhere. And if they get too unruly, YouTube is your best friend.

Enjoy Wien!

1 Like

So definitely avoid this then:

For a little off the beaten path recommendation, can check out this Menü | Sinohouse Vienna.

Great wine list apparently, my friend who was stationed in Vienna for a while cut his teeth in wine as the owner was very generous in sharing the wines. Let me know if you are heading there, you can name drop my friend if needed!

2 Likes

Freshness, minerality, acidity savoriness and high drinkability are what I am hoping to find in Austrian wines

That sounds like you’re describing German Riesling, especially from the Mosel.

And that sounds more like you’re describing Austrian Riesling, especially in the 2015 vintage.

For instance, the 2015 Rieslings of FX Pichler strike me as literal “Century” wines, meaning that, in a cool cellar, and with a good cork, they should be coming into their own circa 2115 AD.

And the 2015 Gruner Veltiners of FX Pichler are not far behind; they should go easily 75 years or more [peaking maybe circa 2090 AD].

I have nothing against natural wine but I do actively dislike wines that smell and taste very obviously natural. Ie not looking for volatile whites, Pet-Nats, orange wines etc

It’s very rare, but if you can get your hands on it, I think you would adore the “Melsheimer Rurale Riesling Pétillant naturel Landwein der Mosel” - it’s vastly better than any other “Riesling sekt” I’ve ever tasted.

up and coming

I think it’s probably fair to call the Hillinger red wines “up and coming”.

The 2015 “Hill 1” is a Merlot/Blaufränkisch/Zweigelt blend [the blends seem to vary every year], which is big, quite smooth, with the strangest hint of a grip, and a touch of alcoholic heat.

But it’s also easily the most impressive Eastern European red wine I’ve ever tasted.

Hillinger is still offering it on their website, so I assume they must have some of the 2015 “Hill 1” down at the winery [in Jois]

https://www.leo-hillinger.com/shop/hill-1-2015/

But Hillinger has a shop in Vienna:

Leo HILLINGER
Wineshop & Bar Wien-Wollzeile

Wollzeile 25
A-1010 Wien

shop-wienwollzeile@leo-hillinger.com
Telefon: +43 1 966 2121
MO-FR: 13:00-22:00 Uhr
SA: 13:00-22:00 Uhr
Sonn- und Feiertags geschlossen

Wineshops & Bars - Weingut Leo Hillinger

So if you [or your husband] were at all interested in seeing what Eastern Europe can do with red wine grapes in an epic vintage like 2015, then I’d call ahead and see whether the Vienna shop had the 2015 “Hill 1” in stock, and, if so, then I’d head on over there, and sip on a glass of it.

1 Like

I believe you mean well but the way you describe the Hillinger wine makes me want to avoid it at all cost. In my experience Austrian reds are at their best (for my palate) when they are light to medium bodied, savory and acid driven with out much ripe fruit or any oak signature whatsoever. I have enjoyed the straight Sankt Laurent and Blaufränkisch wines the most, but also blends like the Heideboden from Judith Beck that we had at a memorable lunch in the Palmenhaus restaurant the last time we were on Vienna. To each their own of course, but I find Austrian reds to lose their character when they are made too ripe and aged in new oak.

I’ve actually had the Melsheimer wine you mention and I agree, it is very tasty!

As for the stylistic points re: the whites I do realize that you have more and more of the second category in Austria but then I’ve have had plenty of the first category from Austrian producers to know that it definitely exists. Hence the reason for this thread in the first place. I’m very appreciative that many have shared their recommendations instead of hinting that I should be looking to Germany instead.

FYI Ilkka is not a female name but I don’t expect that to be common knowledge [snort.gif]

And many classic Austrian Rieslings, from the likes of Jurtschitsch, Nikolaihof or Loimer. Very mineral stuff, those.

And that sounds more like you’re describing Austrian Riesling, especially in the 2015 vintage.

For instance, the 2015 Rieslings of FX Pichler strike me as literal “Century” wines, meaning that, in a cool cellar, and with a good cork, they should be coming into their own circa 2115 AD.

I doubt any amount of aging will make the super-ripe Austrian wines come across as less ripe or lower their excessive alcohol. While some great wines were made in 2015, I highly doubt most will age gracefully for a century, let alone even for a handful of decades, seeing how big, ripe, hot and modest in acidity some super-ripe wines have been.

But it’s also easily the most impressive Eastern European red wine I’ve ever tasted.
So if you [or your husband] were at all interested in seeing what Eastern Europe can do with red wine grapes in an epic vintage like 2015, then I’d call ahead and see whether the Vienna shop had the 2015 “Hill 1” in stock, and, if so, then I’d head on over there, and sip on a glass of it.

To my understanding Hillinger doesn’t make any wine in Eastern Europe and that Hlll1 comes from Vienna. Where did you get that Eastern Europe part?

Btw, chuckled at the husband part. Glad to have broad-minded people here!

1 Like

Seems to be closed until Sep 1st :confused:

Ah apologies just saw on Instagram as well :confused:

No worries mate!

IlkkaL in answer to your question, a captivating bottle of 2001 Riesling enjoyed with great friends (two are fourth gen winegrowers in the Langhe, fwiw) at Trattoria La Coccinella, about five years ago, still threads my happiest memories.

Mast wine bar wasn’t open yet when I lived in Vienna but the area it’s in is really cool. We used to frequent it all the time and there’s lots of great restaurants.

1 Like

If you like natural wines, I’ve loved the wines of Christian Tschida

2 Likes

I can only hope to find something aged 15 years or more!

I shared a bottle of the Himmel auf Erden white with Otto last year that was quite volatile. Not a bad wine but not necessarily for me. I wonder if the volatility is something that is often present in Tschida’s wines?

Thanks a lot for the tips! I reckon you might be right but I guess I just want to approach with a sort of ”child comes first” mindset and see how it goes. And Leo the Truck will surely be present on a daily basis, just bought a stand for my iPhone to make the viewing experience easy and pleasant while in restaurants :grinning:

I’ve had consistently good results from the 20+ year old bottles that I purchased from Wein und Wachau in Melk. Great prices too. Perhaps they can deliver some to you in Wien.

Hmm I reckon Fohringer would indeed and they have had older vintages in the past. That’s a great idea, thanks!

I got so interested in this question that I sat down and plotted a bunch of archetypical European red wine operations, in terms of their longitudinal lines [although the latitudes are also fascinating].

https://imouto.kawaii.su/pFrRju25.jpg

I threw in Dr Heger because apparently Stuart Pigott thinks Joachim Heger is the second coming of Henri Jayer, and I was curious where Heger was situated in all of this [Heger just edges out Hillinger as the northern-most winery].

I used Dalamara as the Grecian representative, since both Cellar Tracker and Vivino think that Dalamara makes the best Xinomavro.

Then for Georgia, I grabbed the old Royal Mukhrani winery, because once the Bolsheviks consolidated their power in the early 1920s, their first order of business was moving all the old Georgian wine libraries to the Kremlin.

And when I plotted Mukhrani’s longitude, I glanced upwards on the map and realized that Mukhrani is at just about exactly the same longitude as Stalingrad.

That can’t have been a coincidence.

But now here’s the kicker: I never knew that Mastroberardino was so far to the south and the east [ I had always imagined Mastroberardino to have been much closer to Rome], but after plotting the longitudes, it’s obvious that Mastroberardino is actually an Eastern European winery.

So that means Paola Bea marks the longitudinal boundary of Western European red wine production.

The other weird factoid is that Lâtour, in Pauillac, is just shy of being perfectly aligned with Greenwich Mean Time.

1 Like

What now