Going to China

By the way, for Beijing, don’t feel awkward walking around in a “surgeon mask” or those masks you wear when sanding or dealing with fiberglass… or even a “gas mask” with better filtration. Many of the locals do it. Your lungs will thank you at the end of the day.

Cwun is right. The air is terrible and at times has set world records bad AQI. There is nothing healthy about the air and you should protect yourself. Just look at the articles on the air and you will understand the risk.

It has been 7 years since we were there and the air was terrible then; much worse now. When we were there many Chinese including tour guides called the pollution fog. Everyone knows it isn’t fog.

On a lighter note, buying wine was interesting. Had to go to Walmart to get it. Not much choice. Back then most of it was from Australia or some of the local stuff. Tried some of the local Chinese wines and survived.

There are some wine shops in Shanghai that carry some high end burgs and other old world wines at fairly competitive prices. If you need any information, just PM me.

David

Just saw this on NYT…it might help

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I’m in Shanghai for the weekend if any Berserkers are around!

Hi Drew;

Hope I’m not too late.

I’d choose Suzhou over Hangzhou (many gardens vs. one lake).

The one splurge meal should be in Shanghai on the Bund, at a place that gives you a view of the buildings across the river, at night.

Also, learn the phrase Boo Yao (don’t want/don’t need). Works wonders on peddlers.

I would think a non-Chinese speaking visitor is more of a deterrent than one that actually speaks Chinese to them. After all, the vendors are known to be insanely persistent.

And for anyone who doesn’t know, you can bring wine into China. My friend would constantly bring Scotch, as well (his factory workers loved it). Just don’t bring weed. [wow.gif]

Just back from a great trip.
Some tips:-
Beijing - Hotel Eclat is awesome, purified air, great rooms and breakfasts. Cocktail each night. Some good restaurants in the vicinity including wonderful meal at Opera Bombana and outstanding Peking duck at Da Dong.
Shanghai - Les Suites Orient well located on the Bund. Best meal was at Mr & Mrs Bund - seriously good, although not Chinese!

We engaged private tour guide for most of teh trip with China Highights which was seamless and well worth the $.

The train trip from Beijing to Shanghai is mind blowing - 800 miles of high rise buildings and intensive horticulture. Incredible.