Give CO wine a taste...

OBJECTION YOUR HONOUR!!!

Leading the witness! [wink.gif]

For consistency and variety, it’s hard to beat Creekside Cellars. She makes a great Cab Franc, Petite Verdot and a BDX style blend called Robusto. Her whites and Rose’ can be good too. I also like Cottonwood cabs, but they may be a little inconsistent. I’ve had good cabs from Colterris and a nice Meritage from Grand River.

Let’s give this a go again. I’ve been shipping the 2016 winners to various wine media and now it’s time for 6 Berserkers to get some wine [berserker.gif] . What I am proposing again is sending six of you a few bottles of CO wine so you may share your thoughts (good or bad) here with the community. Each person will get 2 wines. If you would like to taste a few CO wines, the first six people interested to post will get a box of wine via FedEx. TomHill is unbanned because he was replaced by Mike Dunne at the competition this year. [snort.gif]

If you’re interested, here is Mike’s article on the competition.

Here are the wines:
2016 GOVERNOR’S CUP CASE (Top 12 scoring grape wines)
Bookcliff Vineyards (Boulder) - 2013 Ensemble Red Blend, Grand Valley AVA BEST IN SHOW
Bookcliff Vineyards (Boulder) - 2013 Cabernet Franc Reserve, Grand Valley AVA
Bookcliff Vineyards (Boulder) - 2014 Syrah, Grand Valley AVA
Colorado Cellars (Palisade) - 1991 Cabernet Sauvignon, Colorado
Fox Fire Farms (Ignacio) - 2015 Traminette, Colorado
Kingman Estates Winery (Denver) - 2013 Cabernet Sauvignon, Grand Valley AVA
Plum Creek Winery (Palisade) - 2015 Dry Riesling, Grand Valley AVA
Red Fox Cellars (Palisade) - 2015 Rosé of Tempranillo, Grand Valley AVA
Snowy Peaks Winery (Estes Park) - 2013 Petit Verdot, Grand Valley AVA
Whitewater Hill Vineyards (Grand Junction) - 2014 Cabernet Sauvignon Reserve, Grand Valley AVA
Whitewater Hill Vineyards (Grand Junction) - 2014 Cabernet Sauvignon , Grand Valley AVA
Whitewater Hill Vineyards (Grand Junction) - 2014 Shiraz, Grand Valley AVA

I had my turn last time and it made for a fantastic tasting and discussion over an evening of wine and food.

I would encourage people to take Kyle up on this generous (amazing) offer! It was an exciting thing to get to do.

Kyle kicks booty! [cheers.gif]

I’ll give it a shot [cheers.gif]

Color me skeptical about Colorado wines, but I would be willing to try them and share my thoughts with the Board.

Me too. Very fun. I’ll let someone else have a try this year.

I’m in if you still need tasters…

We’re moving to Colorado in the spring, so maybe a jump start on the local vino?

Well, if you end up short contact me.

I’d very much be into doing this.

Who knew giving away wine would prove so difficult! Only 5 takers as of now. I’ll give it a few more hours for a final willing participant to volunteer. [whistle.gif]

I will take them and share with my weekly wine Cellar tasting group. Thanks.

I am up for it. I have a small wine group with 3 others who we brown bag taste all the time

We have our six.

hey - anybody falls out, I’m game.

Would like to thank Kyle for his group’s generosity. I was sent 2013 Kingman Cabernet and 2014 Whitewater Hill Cabernet. Both from the Grand Valley AVA.
Two glasses were coravined from each and sat for an hour before tasting.
Both wines have a dark ruby colour, and that’s where the similarities end. I started with the Whitewater Hill if for no other reason than the label was more elegant. It smelled of red fruits, plum, and vanilla. First impressions were it was much thinner than I thought it would be. More like a Pinot. Medium tannins and fairly acidic and tart with a green apple taste to me.
The Kingman smelled of earth and moss as a polar opposite to the Whitewater. Again medium tannin and the taste mirrored the smell with wet earth and tobacco, with a lingering bitter finish.
After a few tastes we added in cheeses and meats and the wines were sipped over the next hour. The Whitewater tartness was tamed somewhat with food but the bitterness of the Kingman was still present even after various meats and salamis.

In the interests of keeping Kyle’s thread on page 1, my first TN (and I believe my inaugural Colorado TN) will be the 2015 Fox Fire Farms Traminette. Color is a lemon yellow, and the nose has a sweetly fruity note.

Light-bodied on the palate, decent persistence on the finish - not bad at all. I checked the website out, and they indicate that Traminette is a hybrid grape - they compared it to Gewurztraminer, but other than a floral note on the nose, I don’t think I would make the same comparison. Not overly complex, but certainly pleasant enough for an aperitif/quaffing. [cheers.gif]

Heck, I enjoyed it and I am only reading along!

If I read your note without knowing what you tasted, I would have guessed viognier.

Our own Mr Schlachter.