Girl & The Goat LA - cool corkage policy

Yes, I can confirm. Had a nice time talking with their female somm. The chef’s mother was sitting with two friends next to us. She poured them three small glasses of the '02 Von Schubert MG Abstberg Auslese. They loved it and struck up a short conversation. Because it was more than a glass, the somm was lenient with the 2 bottle limit. I love the policy and agree it’s a great PR move. Never would have chatted with the chef’s mother otherwise.

1 Like

This is Los Angeles. There’s at least one supermodel at every table.

And his hair is usually stunning.

1 Like

I saw that guy at Trader Vic’s, but he wasn’t drinking wine.

1 Like

I’m not a frequent patron at high end restaurants, and have only rarely brought a bottle of wine with me - but this sounds like a pretty cool policy.

Although, since many of us are in a small group when fine dining, say with one other couple, that begets the age old question of…how many glasses of wine in a bottle? If five, then you can give one away and still serve the table of 4. If you believe there are only 4 (and I’ve got friends that strongly believe in both sides of this argument) then someone at your table doesn’t get a glass…

champagne.gif

1 Like

That’s a really cool idea. I’d definitely visit a restaurant more often were they to do this.

I had never seen this until a trip to Minnesota a few years back. Grand Cafe had the same policy. I ordered half of a bottle of Leroy Montagny 1er Cru, it was about 18 years old at the time and totally glorious. $120 for the bottle, so $60 for half a bottle. This is a great idea and I would encourage any restaurant with a good list and the right clientele give it a try. It’s complementary to the wonderful policy by Girl & The Goat. Both policies make the whole atmosphere more convivial and encourage interactions between customers as well as customers and staff.

Dan Kravitz

1 Like

I was a huge fan of the Bachelor Farmer wine policy! More places should do this. I also really think it increased total wine sales at the restaurant.

1 Like

Ah-hooo

1 Like

Not sure if it’s still their policy, but Charlie Bird in NYC did the same thing.

LA’ers. I think you’ll really like this place. Her muni is a lot of fun. Please send Stephanie back.

I like the concept of this but it doesn’t hold a candle to the corkage policy at Joey Ds House of Meats in Mclean (sadly now defunct due to multiple lawsuits). Corkage was free if you could best the chef at arm wrestling (2 out of 3).

1 Like

I think I’d do better at G&TG

Yeah it spiraled out of control. Towards the end it was basically a room full of personal injury attorneys waiting around for the chef to lose it and injure another customer.

1 Like

classy wines, for classy times

As a wine lover, I’d be enthused to go and spend money at the restaurant because I love the policy, love to share, and would love to get a gift from an adjacent table. Could be fun, and a great way to meet like-minded folks. Very cool

2 Likes

she is one of my favorite chefs anywhere too. the food at all her restaurants is great.

1 Like

There’s a group here in Chicago that has been doing this. I assume Boka group got the idea here. Personally I never mind paying corkage.

Agreed. Each time we go back to visit family we try and hit a new one. The original is still our clear favorite.

Going here for the first time this Friday. Any particular suggestions on what to order for food?

Interested to hear suggestions on what wines pair best with the fare, as well. Thanks!