Gigondas

Thank heavens for that. That’s why they’re still drinkable.

2 Likes

I certainly understand not liking Southern Rhone wines. And I can see preferring CdP to Gigondas as a generality about the style of the appelation or indeed Gigondas to CdP on the same basis. But if one doesn’t like CdP on account of overripeness and alcohol, I don’t see how Gigondas improves matters. And, indeed, I find oak and confiture like ripeness to infect more Gigondas than CdP, though there is plenty to go around in both, just as there are always traditional domaines to seek out in both.

2 Likes

Good producer, and definitely available in the US, just may not have much national coverage.

I love the Southern Rhone. I like Gigondas a lot. And wished I liked it more. Some have been terrific. However, all things being equal (e.g., comparable levels of refinement/extraction/ripeness), I find CdP so much more interesting than Gigondas. I’m talking about complexity and secondary chacteristics. Still worth buying and following but not nearly as much as CdP for me. Cheers.

The Vacqueyras and the CdR is here, not the Gigondas, unless something has changed in the last year or two.

Pretty sure the NOVA/DC distributor offered the Gigondas recently, but I may be conflating it with another in their book.

Eric Solomon, their importer, lists their three cuvees of Vacqueyras and their CdR, but not their Gigondas. If you have seen their Gigondas in the DC NOVA area, please tell me where.

1 Like

From my experience, Gigondas are more consistent than CdP… Many CdP are too rich and sweet for me, but when they are more subtle and nuanced, I have preferred them over any Gigondas I have had.

Gigondas more masculine? and CdP more feminine, but some seem to have gotten too much botox?

I agree on Domaine du Grand Montmirail as well. Keep an eye on WTSO and you can find them somewhat often for very good qpr.

1 Like

2018 Domaine du Grand Montmirail Vieilles Vignes on wtso right now!

^^The 2016 is fantastic

1 Like

Another Gigondas fan here.
Started out trying CDP and found out for myself that Gigondas was the better region for me.
Local shop here was selling Palon for $19. Wonderful, It compares with wines in the mid $30 range.
Hope they carry it in the future but could just be a one off.
Bought all I could justify and it did sell out quickly.
Cannot find same satisfaction in California Grenache.

1 Like