Getting ready for Pouilly-Fuissé

The only producer I’ve had not mentioned here is Saumaize-Michelin. The wines were classy, straightforwardly Burgundian, and worthy of rebuying. Didn’t try to age them but thought they might have potential.

Jean-Marie Guffens made some amazing wines under the Verget label from all over Burgundy, and his 1995 Chablis Valmur and 1992 Corton-Charlemagne stand out as especially good. Today, he’s focussed on the Mâconnais, and yes, a couple of cuvées ever year do nip at the heels of the domaine wines!

Thanks for the info. I tried the 2018 Mâcon-Pierreclos “En Crazy” and the Saint-Véran this summer (regular bottling) and I thought they were both amazing wines. I’ve been eyeing the 2017 Verget Pouilly-Fuissé “Sur la Roche” 1er jus and the 2009 Chablis Blanchot for a while.

I don‘t know if his wines are exported to the States but I like very much the Pouilly-Fuisse Les Crays from Eric Forest and other wines from him.

2019 Domaine Eric Forest Pouilly Fuisse Les Crays. Out of 375 tonight with experimental risotto. I was a little less than impressed upon opening. But with air and a little warming it developed both richness and complexity. Not your crystalline/steely chard, which is fine with me, but well balanced and gaining interest when in all too short a time it was gone (375 after all). Good with some potential to improve I think, worth following but not going out of the way to chase down. 3+ (out of 5).

1 Like

100% agree with everything William is saying here about Guffens - simply magical wines.

Find it interesting that people have such a hard time overcoming preconceived notions about appelations. I have served Guffens blind a number of times to friends in the wine business where the guesses are always something like Meursault 1er from a great producer, Puligny 1er/GC from a great producer etc. - but when the labels are then revealed the ‘Its well made wine, but it is not Coche/Ramonet/Lafon/Ente/whatever top producer from Cote de Beaune’-comments starts coming, even if that was exactly what they were guessing blind.

The very simple way to put it for me is to say that if hard pressed to choose between my yearly allocation of Coche Meursault (a measly 2 bottles) or my yearly allocation of the top Guffens wines (e.g. Puilly Fuisse 1. Jus des Hauts des Vignes), I would take the Guffens wines in a heartbeat. If the lovely importer that allocates me both of these producers reads this, please note that I do NOT want to be forced to make this choice however :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

The 2020 Jean-Claude Poisson [Pouilly Fuisse] is underwhelming, soft and missing brightness. Mention’s are scant, and is a brand/export name for the local Julienas-Chaintre co-op. Tech sheet notes that it’s hand harvested, tank fermented, and lightly oaked for under a year, intended for early to medium term drinking. I’d lean toward immediate consumption given the modest depth and interest. Maybe a B- or B on my scorecard, but one of my siblings liked this light bodied blanc more and finished the bottle to my surprise. I’ll pass on repurchasing; I like the well distributed / supermarket available Jadot and Feret’s AOC’s expression better, which others seem to mention upthread as well.

Sealed with an agglomerated sandwich style cork, btw.

2 Likes

Serving 2015 Guffens-Heynen Pouilly-Fuisse Jus des Hauts de Vignes (among a boatload of other wines) for Xmas eve/day. Good stuff!

2 Likes

Per Winesearcher, in the U.S Guffens-Heynen Pouilly Fuisse is now over $200 a bottle for entry level crus and $500-600 a bottle for their higher end stuff…a testimony to WK’s influence and also the importance of producer rep over region.

Very interesting phenomenon that shows satellite regions can easily add to the supply of high end Burgundy

1 Like

The 2015s are beginning to show! Good choice.

I went back to the premisse of this thread and looked online for any kind of analysis on price since the 1er cru designation was established for Pouilly-Fuissé and I couldn’t find anything. Hopefully, someone will take a look at this soon and publish it.

Do you have a read on the 18s currently? Planning on a couple for Xmas…

Honestly I would wait. They’re pretty shy at the moment. Even if 17 for example has more ultimate potential it’s actually showing more now, too.

The 2017 Domaine Sangouard-Guyot Pouilly-Fuissé Authentique is drinking fabulously right now. Purchased for $22 US; price has crept up some in subsequent vintages, but still under $30.

3 Likes

My challenge is I have had this sent to Vienna from my storage in Denmark, and have no other vintages on hand. Do you think an extended decant could do the trick or should I simply tuck them back in and find something else?

Have 3 of each btw, so not the only shot

Try one with a decant, but I would personally bury the others. I didn’t take any of my cases out of storage.

1 Like