German Spatburgunder (MAJOR UPDATES)

2020 Wasenhaus Am Kreuz -

This is a new wine in the line up beginning in 2019. This has the most tannin and structure amongst the single vineyards that I have had. The vineyard has some Pinot Gris which I believe they add to this wine. Other notes say this is fresh and lively. I did not get that from this wine. There was also a little bitterness that I think will mellow with age.

2 Likes

I believe this to be true. My friend told me the 2019 was indeed very light. He preferred the Vulkan.

I got both 19 and 20 in the cellar, but will wait another year or two before opening one.

10% I read somewhere

We absolutely loved the 2019
 would make it our house red if we could find enough.

1 Like

Interesting to hear. I have not yet had the 20, but my impression of the 19 rendition was that it was indeed pretty bright.

I think HundsrĂŒck is a special place. Have you tried the Josef Walter yet?

1 Like

Yes I love the J Walter wines. To me they have a rustic charm.

2 Likes

Continuing on with my SpÀtburgunder studies.

2017 Henrik Möbitz Kanzel - For those that don’t know the backstory. Henrik was a true garagista winemaker. He has a full-time job working in cancer research for Novartis. Wine was a serious, but part-time undertaking. Möbitz along with the early Enderle and Moll were the wines what ignited my interest in SpĂ€tburgunder. Sadly he has stopped making wines and has given his vineyards to Wasenhaus. He simply had the magic touch for wine and in particular Pinot. This wine was just flat out stunning. Extremely pure and delicious fruit with elements of bing cherry. Silky, smooth and just so easy to drink. Wonderful aromatics. It reminded me of PrieurĂ© Roch. It is sad that Henrik no longer makes wine and I cherish my remaining bottles but also happy the vineyards are with the Wasenhaus crew.

3 Likes

Would love to taste a Mobitz Kanzel. He is still somewhat connected as he distributes a good chunk of the Kanzel wines from Wasenhaus.

On another note then i just ordered a mixed case of Pinot from Carsten SaalwÀchter. It includes five different SpÀtburgunder cuvees. Will report back as i open them (might let the top stuff sleep for a while though).

1 Like

Come to NY and we will do a Wasenhaus and Möbitz vertical!

Can’t wait to read your notes on the SaalwĂ€chter and as I have said before don’t sleep on the silvaners!

1 Like

Most of the whites was not available at the site i ordered from. But a few others still have some Silvaners available. So if i find the money i will grab a few :slightly_smiling_face:

If i did not have two small kids i would be on a plane now :grin:

1 Like

Cherries, strawberries, licorice, green and earthy.
Very light and disappears waaaay to easy. 12% abv.
The length and complexity is kinda what you can expect at this price point. But it is not so simple it gets boring in any way.

At 16€ (Bought from a German site) this is tremendous value and just an overall great wine.

It is awesome to have a producer with this type of quailty now that Wasenhaus is getting harder and harder to get by.

3 Likes

Thanks for the great note! Seem encouraging. He is a very young but determined winemaker.

I will certainly buy some for the cellar every year going forward (as long as possible
)

A bit frustrating that so little of what’s being discussed here about Spatsburgunder can be found in the US on WS.com. Just searched Saalwachter----NADA. What are good US retail spats sources? If any exist. Think I have a line on some Furst. That’s a start!

Ardeis

1 Like

I think Robert is somehow involved with selling SaalwÀchter in the US?

Hello Ardeis - As you have seen Spatburgunder is still hard to find in the U.S. That is one of the reasons I talk it up along with the dramatic improvements in quality. Lyle Fass at Fass selections has the best selection of anyone. Woodland Hills in LA has a nice selection. source | material the small DTC company I am partners in with Stephen Bitterolf sells Jonas Dostert, Saalwachter and a few others and we will be continuing to add more. Stephen is the owner of Vom Boden and he represents Wasenhaus. Sadly your best chance to try a Wasenhaus is either at a restaurant or I am happy to open some for you along with some other Spatburgunders. The Wasenhaus wines are small production, highly allocated and they lost a good amount of their crop in 2021 so it will be a few years before they are available in the U.S. but I am more than happy to open some for you
and please forgive my mention of my company it really is a passion project that I do because I love German wine so much.

2 Likes

Hey Robert self promotion is what WB is all about!! Appreciate the offers-----=by “open for you” I suspect you mean in NYC? I haven’t been to Big Apple in many years—residing in Tampa, FL and my wife and I foster kids often past few years curtailing our travel some. RE Spatburgunders, I was enthralled with a bottle of Schloss Halbturn 2010 had a couple of years ago on an Austrian ski trip. I was able to score a single Wasenhaus 2019 from Bird Rock in CA last year. As I mentioned I’m going to purchase some Furst on pre-arrival status today. So my spatburgunder experience is a bit limited making it even more frustrating. If in fact NYC is what you had in mind, I might add two guys in our local wine club, Grapenuts Wine Group of Tampa, are importers who purvey a bit in NY each year. Perhaps I might send them your way for a tasting of a couple spats and they could sherpa a few back for me based on their experience. Just an idea. thanks for the commentary! The search goes on
(signed up w Fass as well).

1 Like

WHWC also had some back vintage Hege
any opinion on worth picking up?

1 Like