German Spatburgunder (MAJOR UPDATES)

My pleasure. It was a real eye opening opportunity to try so many wines. And an overall really good time with good music and great food. I will doing more of these in the Mosel.

1 Like

Hope to be able to make it for the next one there!

Is this a new micro production? Can’t find it on winesearcher or cellartracker.

It has not been released yet.

I don’t think it will hit wine-searcher! :smiley:

In our translation of Karl Heinrich Koch’s Moselwein, I included two footnotes on red wine in the Mosel region in the late 19th century. The second one is a brief note on the once famous Pinot Noir from Könen on the Saar.

Spätburgunder (Pinot Noir) was the main red variety, followed by Frühburgunder (Pinot Noir Précoce) and a little Portuguieser, according to F.W. Koch in Weine. A small amount of red wine was produced in Könen (Saar), Maring-Noviand, and Ürzig, as well as in Trier, Trier-Olewig, Trier-Ruwer (Ruwer-Maximin), Piesport, Lütz, and Lehmen. An auction ad from 1877 even lists a Fuder of red 1875 Eitelsbacher Karthäuserhofberger and a Halbfuder of 1875 Ockfener Herrenberger. August Trinius, in Durch’s Moseltal: Ein Wanderbuch (Through the Mosel Valley: A Guide Book, 1897), wrote that the Mosel’s red-wine production, mostly in the Lieser Valley (Maring-Noviand), was minuscule, unlike that farther north on the predominantly slate slopes of the Ahr. Spätburgunder was also produced in Assmannshausen (slate) and Ingelheim (limestone) on the Rhine, as well as in Baden.

The red vines were grubbed up in 1920. Frau Wwe. Jul. Gensterblum offered her bottle-aged Pinot Noirs from Schabberg and Nonnenberg in 100-bottle packs at the Trier auctions, including one Fuder of 1892 Schabberger Auslese. These “Cönener” red wines were described in an article on the 1898 Wine Congress as being similar to those of the Burgundy’s Côte d’Or.

Mosel Fine Wines has this issue highlight on Tobias Feiden’s 2016 Winninger Spätburgunder Marbleous, which includes a brief history of red wine in the Mosel Valley.

1 Like

Amazing! Thanks very much.

@Lars_Carlberg by the way I made a Frühburgunder Rose in 2023!

2 Likes

Is your Frühburgunder rosé from the Mosel?

Franken. Peter Leipold.

1 Like

That’s what I thought. He visited Hofgut Falkenstein last Saturday. I wasn’t there, but I helped set up his visit.

He seemed to like the 2023s from cask, especially Gisela.

Highly relevant to this discusssion : (https://www.lost-barrels.com/)

Mayer-Nakel had 9 barrels survive the floods and are selling the wines as special lots. I was told 600€ per bottle.

Had these two Spätburgunders over the weekend and it was maybe not a fair comparison with winemakers and vintages but the Adeneuer unfortunately threw in the towel.

2015 JJ Adeneuer Spätburgunder
I was quite excited to have forgotten this bottle in the storage to see how an entry level wine from Ahr had held up. Ahr valley is one of the areas I have explored surprisingly little, and feel I should (want to) learn more about.

Love to test the entry bottlings from wineries as it tells you quite a bit about them. This wine was unfortunately gone, quite ok on the nose but the wine had fade for the rest. Quite disappointed and down the drain it went.

2018 Stein Redvolution
This was far from a disappointment. I was surprised how good it was in fact. It’s my third red from Stein, and the previous (2018 light light and 2017 Revolution) have both been good, this however was a clear step up in “seriousness” and depth.

This had more filling in terms of complexity - in taste profile, texture and (Red)evolution over time in the bottle/glass. Kind of in the direction of a Chambertin perhaps (?), could not spot any of the regular telltale of German Pinot. I would be very curious to hear Ulli’s thoughts on the vintage but also between the 2018s, as for me this was a surprisingly good bottle.

2 Likes

Love seeing such a positive note on an Ulli wine, a Spätburgunder no less. Thanks for posting both notes.

1 Like

Thanks Robert, and indeed a Spätburgunder - one that took me a bit by surprise.

Probably a result of the vintage. From the 2018s I have had, I have to say that there is a darker, more structured quality and weight to the wines while they at the same time retain the freshness. Knew Baden showed this direction but didn’t expect a Mosel wine to show it as much as this bottle did.

2 Likes

Frühburgunder alert: I had two over the holidays that were gifted to me by @Luke_A last Fall.

The first was a 2021 Ingelheimer from J. Neus. It was not the most complex wine, but it had the signature lip smacking fruit with a decent acidity to make it a real pleasure. Unfortunately it came in a tiny 750 ml bottle and was gone far too quickly. This bottle can be found in North America if you are interested. Neus also makes at least one interesting Spätburgunder GG, from a clone only found in their Pares vineyard.

The second was a Frühburgunder from the Ahr, from Brogsitter. AFIK this is not available in North America. The 2020 Brogsitter Ad Aram Ahr Frühburgunder Trocken states “Im Barrique Gereift” right on the front label. With the Ahr’s reputation for over-oaked Pinot, I was a bit wary of it. Instead I found a well-balanced wine that preserves the drink me quality of Frühburgunder along with just a bit of structure. I think this could age little. My only quibble is once again the wine came in a ridiculously tiny 750 and disappeared far too quickly. I would definitely check this out, and I wouldn’t mind seeing what they can do with their Spätburgunder as well!
Edit: thanks again @Luke_A !

4 Likes

Some history for this thread.

The first vintage of Enderle & Moll:

The first vintage of E&M next to the first vintage of Wasenhaus:

And the back label of the 07 E&M

4 Likes

I should add that this was an “Ohne”, I guess this means no added sulfur. If that’s correct then worth adding that it was very pure (nothing weird and “no-natural wine” fan safe).

1 Like

Had the '18 Keller Spatburgunder Reserve tonight and I have to say it was disappointing. Lovely top notes of tart fruit and just a hint of savory and spice, but the body was absolutely anemic and the overall affect was shrill. My wife - who has been going gaga for other SB lately - gave it a absolute nein.

I know this a bit of a toss-off cuvée of younger vines, but still really a letdown.

4 Likes

Think I’ve mentioned it before in this thread. But also haven’t been impressed with it, the few times I’ve tasted it. But have not had any recent vintages. I think his son Felix is more involved with the Spätburgunder now which is interesting.

1 Like

Question for the connoisseurs - will be visiting a 3* in Germany next week (Sonnora), and this is the list of German red wines they have. Any leads on which to try? I am not familiar with most of them (vs the riesling list, where I found some older auslese wines, that I’d be looking to try depending on the menu).

Edit: have taken out prices, as the restaurant was so kind to send list in advance, and pricing is reasonable, so no need for detailed figures.

Mosel

Weingut Markus Molitor, Wehlen
2013 Brauneberger Klostergarten
Pinot Noir *** Qualitätswein trocken

2010 Trarbacher Schlossberg
Pinot Noir ** Qualitätswein trocken

2008 Brauneberger Klostergarten
Pinot Noir *** Qualitätswein trocken

Daniel Twardowski, Neumagen-Dhron
2019 Pinot Noix „Ardoise“
Qualitätswein trocken

2017 Pinot Noix „Ardoise“