German Spatburgunder (MAJOR UPDATES)

2020 Falkenstein Herrenberg Red

Finally! Ok I get it. No one loves Falkenstein more than me. I have over 1000 bottles in my cellar dating back to the 80s and have visited Lars, Johannes and Erich many times. And when I started Soilpimp Selections they were the first ones I asked to make a wine for me. I hold no winery in higher regard.

Well truth be told I have never gotten their Red. Yet I have seen raves from the likes of David Schildknecht and Kirk Wallace two of the most experienced tasters in the world.

I cracked a 2020 Red on a Monday night expecting a juicy simple accompaniment to my salad with chicken paillard. Well that is what I got with even a bit more vibrancy and enjoyment than I was expecting for the first 45 minutes and then BOOM the wine transformed into something serious. Structure and complexity emerged from the glass and all of sudden I finally GOT this wine! I bought some more for the cellar before posting this!

4 Likes

Thanks, Robert! It’s funny. Upon release, the 2020 red wine (Spätburgunder) seemed to me a tad ripe and showed a little oak from a newish Fuder cask. I’m glad you like it. The new 2021 red is one of my favorites.

3 Likes

I look forward to tasting the 2021! Say hello to the gang for me!

1 Like

Went to the Milkweed Inn this weekend and wanted to drink some special bottles. I brought two Spätburgunders, a bottle of the first vintage from both Enderle & Moll and Wasenhaus.

The 07 Enderle & Moll Buntsandstein was fantastic. It was young and fresh and a pleasure to drink. Reminded me of an older Prieuré Roch. Not sure if aging this more would do anything to it. I have two more bottles so we will see.

The 2016 Wasenhaus Bellen was flat out stunning. Extremely complex and overall impressive wine. This has a long life ahead of it.

It was a true honor to be able to drink the first vintage from two producers that I think are very important to the development of Pinot Noir in Germany.

2 Likes

One of my friends, who has actually tasted Prieuré Roch a few times, also mentioned Roch as a reference on a 2015 Buntsandstein we drank together :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

To keep it a bit short - @Blake_Brown came to Amsterdam (you can see his post about our night out
https://www.wineberserkers.com/t/an-exceptional-one-of-a-kind-dinner-in-amsterdam-with-wines-from-croatia-germany-and-champagne/301825) and reached out to see if he wanted to meet up and found out that he was quite curious to explore Spätburgunder. I figured that what better way to do it than with focus on Baden and the oldest from there (in my cellar) are 2014s. For those who were in Europe that summer or remember from reports, it was a challenge wet rainy year in many places. I think the entry Enderle&Moll PN was something like 10,5-11% to give you an idea. And that wine was still delicious btw!

Below are the notes from Blake, I’ll add some additional remarks thereafter:

“2014 ENDERLE & MOLL LIAISON PINOT NOIR BADEN- no fining or filtration, and 40-50% whole cluster fermentation; the nose and taste profile had wild, fresh and tangy red cherry/ berry fruit with a touch of spice and a soft and smooth mouthfeel; underlying hints of strawberry and red raspberry showed up as well; it maintained its wildness throughout and as such, presented a different, but enjoyable aspect of Pinot Noir/ Spatbugunder.

2014 HENRIK MOBITZ KANZEL PINOT NOIR BADEN- this was the bomb from the first nose on; it was rich, full bodied with layered complexity and yet had lots of elegance while sporting a luscious fruit profile that was inundated with spice and sandalwood accented blackberry, black cherry, plum and black raspberry and I just had to state it was very Burgundian; it was smooth and velvety and finished on an upbeat; this is undoubtedly the best Spatburguner I’ve had although that’s from a relatively small sample size. This paired nicely with the quail course although it could stand on its own to just be tasted as a course all unto itself.

If anyone had doubts about if Enderle&Moll wines can age, think again. I just saw Robert’s posting about the 2007 here as well. I also have to add that the provenance (few have optimal storage though sufficient for short term storage in my experience when it comes to Europe) of the 2014s I bought might not have been the best - a retailer did a final push to get rid of them and I got them dirt cheap, cannot recall a single bottle of these it showing well.

One last thing I better mention about this bottle is that it really started to show at its best towards the end, stepped things up gear (intensity and energy). We had the bottle decanted as we were about to get the dish, in hindsight I think we should have had it decanted 1-2 hours before. We ended up sharing this with another larger party and they were quite liked it (they drink/drank wide and well - they also a magnum of Wasenhaus Mölin a few weeks earlier).

As for the Möbitz on the other hand, we had the wine decanted about two hours before we arrived at the restaurant (so probably 3 hours in total). This was on Henrik’s advice though he mentioned that the wine was still not ready so at a 2-3 hour decanting would be required.

The stuffing here was just another level, a beautiful wine, however confident that Henrik is right - there’s a lot more in this wine that didn’t show yet, and I look forward to try my second last bottle in maybe 10 years or so (?). My guess thought after having this wine is that Möbitz wines will go down in history as some of the greatest Germany red wines (the white wines aren’t too bad as well) that few heard of and even fewer had the fortune to taste.

4 Likes

Thanks to Mikael above, my exposure to Spatburgunder carried over 2 nights later when I went to Cafe Daalder Atelier for dinner. I passed on the wine pairing to match the 5 course dinner {to my surprise, i had 11 courses in all} in favor of having a glass of champagne {NV Perrier-Jouet BdB} and more exploration of Spatburgunder.

They had two on the list and I tried tastes of both which were in Coravin sealed bottles:
The 2018 Klumpp from Baden was young and super fruity to the extent I would call it a fruit bomb and that was not what I was looking for, especially after the steller '14 Kanzel.
The 2016 Adenauer GG from Ahr was more like it, so I had a glass. And then, I had a half glass as the courses just kept coming. And then, I had another half glass- huge pours in huge stems by the way.
Although not to the depth and complexity of the Kanzel, it had some seriously good ripe red fruit that was more in balance and enough acidity to ensure more evolution with some extended aging. It was youthfully vibrant and energetic and improved over time in the glass to my satisfaction.

So, thanks to Mikael, I’m even more intrigued with all things Spatburgunder and welcoming more opportunities to explore the possibilities.

Proost,
Blake

2 Likes

Would love to taste the wines from Mobitz!

2 Likes

You and I both; they are unicorns!

Happy to crack some for both of you, if we can ever be in the same city!

You’re too generous Robert!
But I’ll keep this in mind if we should ever intersect somewhere. :wink:

This can be arranged

Perfect in the current danish summer weather.
This is certainly more rosé like than the 2020 Roter Berg rosé i had not long ago. But i actually like this even more.

So much freshness from its acidity profile and lots of delicate red fruit on top. Some floral notes, orange peel and a vague sweet dessert like note.

I like it :ok_hand:

2 Likes

Excited to try that! Thanks for the note.

1 Like

I’ve heard good things about the recent vintages of Spätburgunder from A. Christmann.

1 Like

A quick search certainly made me excited :slightly_smiling_face:… new generation at the estate, some whole clusters used now, and bio grapes. Need to figure out what the oak usage is :grin:

1 Like

Interestingly I have heard the same about the whites.

1 Like

Yes, Sophie Christmann has joined her father, Steffen, at the estate.

A.J. Adam has a very good red wine, but it won’t be released commericially. Andreas was overly critical of the oak, but the wine tasted fine.

I heard that Julian Haart also has a fine red Mosel wine.

This is true.