German Spatburgunder (MAJOR UPDATES)

I love the 2018’s from Enderle & Moll. Had the Muschelkalk not that long ago. Drinking so well already. The 2015’s has been good, also recently. But the vintages around them have been too inconsistent for me. The 2017’s has been straight up disappointing.

So i stopped buying with the 2019 vintage as it feels a bit of a gamble vintage wise.

Not a fan of the whites.

3 Likes

They hired a full time cellar manager and Sven is off doing his own thing so I am hopeful they are more consistent. I have had some great ones over the years!

2 Likes

Indeed. When they are on they are really on!

2 Likes

Have had some 2014 Liaison over the last year(s), the last one just a few days ago and they have been terrific.

1 Like

Long time ago since my last 2014 (also the first vintage i tasted). But the top 2015’s should be drunk now (or a year ago) for my palate.

1 Like

Thanks Lasse, had in mind to dig out a few of the 2015s.

Only Wasenhaus I have tried so far is the 2019 Spätburgunder (only one bottle close to a year ago). I liked it but remember thinking that the E&M Pinot noir was at very least not a worse wine, and more affordable. Which is also one of the reasons I never pulled the trigger on the more premium wines. Yet stylistically I found them to be quite similar.

Since they took over Möbitz vineyard’s I think it would be fun to try Möbitz and Wasenhaus side by side.

1 Like

I think the base 2019 Spätburgunder has required a bit of time to come around. My last bottle during the summer was much better then my previous ones closer to release. The 2020 base Spätburgunder on the other hand is much more ready at release, so if you can find one then you should definitely try it out.

Enderle & Moll’s base “Pinot Noir” can be a real steal in good vintages though! Think I’ve been through 10 bottles of the base 2018 hehe. Cost something like 12-14€ each…

3 Likes

Thanks for the note here, Robert. Great to have proof points of how these age. The 2016 Vulkan was actually the first Wasenhaus wine I ever had.

I have not been shy about my love for these wines, though I now lament how hard they have become to find! Like others on this thread, I’m happy to have a decent stash of recent vintages (though I do still attempt to be rather aggressive with my purchasing of these).

Had a 2018 Vulkan last week in Boston at Binn 26, sadly it was their last bottle. They night have had others, I can’t recall.

2 Likes

I opened the 2018 Beck Eichert. Not quite at the level of the Wasenhaus but still very nice. The producer is definitely promising. It has the initial juicy, savory mouth feel that I get from Baden. It had just a tad too much oak at times and maybe was a hint underripe. But I was being very critical and looking at it through the lenses of is this something we would want to sell at source | material. My wife who has a much better palate than me and loves Wasenhaus thought it was great. It gained complexity for the hour or so it was open. Overall a very good wine. I want to try more from this producer.

I was smitten with Austrian pinot noir when on a ski trip a couple of years ago and some locals shared a mag of Schloss Halbturn pinot with my friend and I at Verwallstube, top of mountain at St. Anton.

Seen all the shhhhh shhhh about Spatburgunder here on the board so I was fortunate to have found a bottle of Wasenhaus village? pinot noir 2019 recently to try (Fall delivery to FL where I live). But yes Wasenhaus is very difficult to find stateside (working on a couple of leads). Any other well-liked spatburgunders I might try that are readily accessible here in the US?

Regards,

Ardeis

Thanks for the note i will pick up a bottle the next time i bike past my favourite wine shop in Copenhagen. I can see they have a few cuvees available from Beck.

1 Like

Would love your thoughts. Curious how is it priced in Copenhagen in comparison to Wasenhaus

1 Like

The Enderle and Moll wines mentioned here are worth trying. Ulli Stein makes a couple that are also very good.

If you can find it I love the Spatburgunder from Leipold (full disclosure we sell these through source | material).

Lyle Fass sells a bunch of very good ones through Fass Selections.

I have very little experience with Spat. Do they tend to have a decent amount of earthy or even Bretty notes, or do they tend to be on the fruitier side of things?

Not much brett in most Spatburgunders I drink with the exception of certain vintages of Enderle & Moll.

They have a very nice lively light fruit profile with a little acidity similar in some ways to Oregon.

The older ones were too extracted with too much oak.

3 Likes

They seem a little cheaper. Maybe 10-20% less. But i don’t know enough about the cuvees to really know if it is a fair comparison. But one of the co-owners of the shop selling them is also the importer and has also imported Wasenhaus since the first vintage. So they can probably tell me a bit about Beck and how they compare them to Wasenhaus :slightly_smiling_face:

I will report back when I’ve bought and tasted one.

Yes they are all friends. The Wasenhaus guys are the ones who gave me the wine.

1 Like

I don’t know how available the following are but at least a few you could keep an eye out for (in no specific order):

Enderle & Moll
Rudolf Fürst
Friedrich Becker
Ziereisen

Even at entry level all of them make very good wines. These together with Möbitz (not really available) are mainly the ones I have in my cellar.

1 Like

Novice question here: Is Spatburgunder very similar to Austrian pinot or are there significant differences in the styles? I am speaking on a very general manner, understanding any varietal will have producer specific nuances.