German Riesling for interested beginners

In general, the 2015 are such open at this early stage wether it is dry or sweet. Like Jeff said, 2015 “von Porphyr” from Wagner-Stempel would be a perfect start. The best “von Porphy” ever and everybody love it, from journalists like Stephan Reinhardt/WA who gave 92/100 to Riesling-lovers. BTW, the journalist Stuart Pigott posted his Top 25-Dry Riesling of the vintage at the website from James Suckling and the 2015 Wagner-Stempel “Heerkretz” GG is ranked No 8. Stuart Pigott is together with Stephan Reinhardt and David Schildknecht the best Riesling-journalist we have, period.

Here THE TOP 25 DRY GERMAN RIESLINGS OF 2016:

http://www.jamessuckling.com/wine-tasting-reports/top-25-dry-german-rieslings-2016/

Cheers,
Martin

P.S. I assume the wine-merchant Rudi Wiest has the estate Wagner-Stempel in its portfolio

I would recommend the following, not sure about what is available for OP

Heymann-Löwenstein Schieferterrassen
Georg Breuer Terra Montosa
Weiser-Künstler in general
Vollenweider in general
Schäfer Fröhlich Schiefergestein/Vulkangestein
Dönnhoff Kreuznacher Kahlenberg Riesling trocken
Everything from Dr. Bürklin-Wolf in that price range

Coincidentally, I arrived home tonight to find the mixed case of Riesling I ordered a couple of Saturdays ago had been delivered. 9 of the 12 were Australian (2015 was also a very good Riesling vintage right across Australia, and 16 was good too) I did pick up 3 of the 2015 Wittmann 100 Hugel, which was rather delicious, and I would expect would be at bottom end of your price range. Most of the other German rieslings I got to try were 2014 and this really stood out among the bunch, even though some of the others were a much higher price point

Get hold of older bottles. You don’t have to go ancient. 2007, 2004 even 2009 will give you something different.

Had a bottle of the Lauer Senior Faß 6 on Sunday and I’m worrying (actually know) that the six pack I bought will not be enough. Great wine and really transformed over the course of an hour and half that it was open. How do these things age?

I’m in the category of having had too many disappointing 2014s to buy anything without tasting first.

If we’re talking dry Germans I’ll add in one of my favorites - the Kunstler Stielweg. Though it seems to have disappeared from most US sources unfortunately. Maybe not imported anymore?

I don’t feel ideological about sweetness, but want to get my feet wet–and more importantly, feel comfortable introducing Riesling to people who are scared of “sweet wines”–before I move forward. However, would be happy to learn. Are there $20-$40 Spatlese drinking well now that you’d recommend?

It looks like there’s at least a small contingent of folks who were looking for this info. I appreciate this information, and bet that is true of others as well. Keep 'em coming, and thanks to all.

If you go to Weygandt and want a wine from Alsace, try Albert Mann. Love these wines.

I don’t drink much in the way of dry German wines (I prefer more traditional German wines). But, I have a question for those of you who do. I think of 2015 as a pretty high acid vintage. Is this a good vintage for drier wines or would a lower acid vintage like 2011 (or going back further 2007) be better for these types of wines?

A lot of brilliant wines from MSR, Nahe and Rheinhessen. A lot. Both Kabinett, Spatlese and Trocken.
E.g. Florian Haart did great wines: 2014 Julian Haart Piesporter Schubertslay Riesling Kabinett (Mosel - Germany)

The vineyards where the mentioned wineries cultivate their vines were recently on German soil, but…

I talked to Stephan Bitterolf and he recommended Red and White. Ask for Nathen. They have W-K, E&M, Vetter, etc.

The Senior Faß 6 is so good. It is TF or trocken bis feinherb, which is perfect when I want dry-ish Riesling.

Tasted through these Trockens on Sunday:

Rings Kalkmergel Riesling
Rings Kappstadter Steinacker
Wagner Stempel Vom Porphyr
Zilliken Alte Reben trocken
Furst Burgstadter trocken
Rings Kallstadter Saumagen GG

They were all excellent. I think the Rings Saumagen might have been the best of the lot. The Zilliken was a very close second.

Not really, though there may be more Trockens made there than in, say, the Mosel. The sweet wines from the Rheingau tend to be very rich, compared to the sweet wines from the Mosel, where the cooler climate means more acidity and the perception that they’re drier.

Vintage(s)?

I do not love 14 either but I write-off is way too strong. Many of the producers that Charlie mentioned made great wines. I would also add Steinmetz. A recent 14 Piesporter Treppchen Terrassen was outstanding. As far as vintages go I am outlier and LOVE 13 the acidity/tension in those wines is perfect for me.

Yet those same producers likely made strong '15s as well. Why bother?

Different facets. I have a couple of hundred 2014s from the Mosel. I picked carefully (only seven producers) and am confident I won’t regret buying them. Quite a high proportion are auction wines.

If picking more randomly I’d agree go 2015.

And this thread is about beginners. Advocating for a spotty vintage is counterproductive.