German Floods

Note the wine barrels in the street. At first I thought these might just be empty display barrels that had been outside shops, but as I scrutinize the picture, I think there are too many of them to be explained that way.

I’m assuming this is Bad Neuerahr, a very pretty town I visited once in the Ahr valley.

Absolutely horrific.

That is nuts!

WS article on floods and aftermath on wineries. Ahr hit particularly hard, with Meyer-Näkel singled out in the article:

This is from Belgium today:

Totally late to this thread, but this is a horribly tragic situation. Wine may be irrelevant for those who drink us, but I certainly worry about anyone whose income depended upon wine.

If any retailer who ships to MA is selling wine to benefit the growers who have suffered in the floods, please let me know, and I’d be happy to place an order.

absolutely shocking and this intense floodings have never happened there before. Also Belgium and the south of the Netherlands have been hit hard with numerous deaths (in BE) and billions in damages… researchers and meteorologist explain this as the first real tangible effects of climate change in this part of Europe… hope this puts more pressure on taking crisis-like measures on climate policy.

Love the Ahr region, stayed there 8 years ago to visit Meyer Nakel, Stodden and Adeneuer, I think our river bank hotel has drifted towards sea as well… hope for them the region recovers swiftly.