Geriatric Cellar Planning

Gut punch. OUCH!

RT

And you know damn well Big Doc goes out swinging hard. He knows no other way.

I am 74 and still buy lots of Dehlinger, Scherrer, Quivet, Myriad etc. My kids can drink whatever is left.

If we are honest with ourselves, discovering and obtaining wines to add to our collections is part of the overall fun and experience. Sure, we do that with the goal of eventually drinking the wines, but those pre-drinking stages actually have their own enjoyment and satisfaction, too.

Put another way, if I died tomorrow, I don’t think all the wine that I hadn’t drunk yet was a waste or a big mistake – I enjoyed everything about the hobby, and I’m glad I’ve participated in it.

Sure, I’m not going to buy new releases of vintage port and Barolo when I’m 75, but for the most part, I’m not going to stress about somehow needing to time my life and my wine collection so they come to an end at the same time. Whatever will be, will be, and the surviving members of my family can have what is left, or they can sell them, or make Sangria, and whatever happens won’t be any issue for me at that point.

Good genes! I guess maybe that’s :jeans: in 2020 land.

Anybody want to be a beneficiary in my will? Laura and I have no kids, nieces or nephews.

Is it like a first come first serve thing? [drinkers.gif]

Send some 01 Riesling before I croak.

I’m too old so I’ll have to take myself out of consideration, but I volunteer Dr. Stotter, a/k/a RieslingFan Jr.

Put my name into the hat for the Bueker cellar lottery

PM sent. :slight_smile:

I had enough exposure to Burgundy in the early 1990s to learn that I’d never have enough money or patience to focus on Burgundy. I remember drinking 1985s, 1989s, 1990s, 1991s, and 1993s from top producers (typically courtesy of friends at tastings). Then, the Grand Cru wines weren’t impossibly expensive. I bought 1991 la Tache for something like $275 and debated whether it was worth it at the time. I just never found my groove there. When they were great, they were certainly great. But there was so much meh in between the toe curling moments. So quickly, a gravitated toward Bordeaux.

In our new home, I built my cellar to hold ‘normal’ sized Burgundy bottles or Bordeaux bottles. I did this by design to preclude me from even considering going to the dark side. Prices have gotten so insane — I can’t imagine paying $250 for a wine I remember being $40, especially when there’s so much great wine made from so many different places that haven’t seen all the speculation or Asia-driven price pressure. I’ve gotten into Piedmont in the past few years. Fortunately, they have the good sense of not using those asinine big bottles. And, prices for the best wines are still sane. I’ve loaded up there anticipating that that too will pass sooner rather than later.

The medical guidelines for us geriatrics, tend to have gone down from 2x day to 1x day (depending on cormorbidities).

It varies a lot between individuals. But the rate of consumption change drive my purchasing changes. . .

I am well into my 7th decade. I have a lot of wine still in the cellar. I still buy daily drinkers but no long-term keepers. This issue comes up frequently here and I’ve never seen a definitive answer. I;m still enjoying my keepers and don’t expect that to change unless my health declines. Wine is still my drug of choice.

I just turned 82. I am drinking fewer bottles per week. With coved, no wine groups, no restaurants, and no dinner groups. I am drinking more of the very good wines and much less of the everyday stuff. I still have way to many bottles in an offsite storage facility. I have sold some, and donated some to charity. Still too much wine. Don’t buy mediocre wine and store it. Don’t be so careful with the good stuff. You bought it for your pleasure so drink it. It sure has been, and still is fun!

Listen to the man. Great wisdom.

My maternal grandmother’s cousin, who I was very close to and taught me a lot about wine, was still visiting wineries and buying wine just months before he passed at age 88. He’s my inspiration.

Yep, buy it while I can afford it, and drink it at my leisure.

Hate to say it, but it’s ALL borrowed time. We Americans (type A folks on this board) all like to plan so much for the future. We only get the now. The world will not run out of great wine anytime soon. Beautiful morning here in the midwest. With the election madness (mostly) over, let’s go down in the cellar and pull something nice. We all deserve it!

On impulse bought a Krug 164 at the grocery store yesterday. Living in Pennsylvania is like living in another universe. Bought it off the shelf for $174. It’s why we are last in election vote counting. The horse and buggies are still delivering the last of the ballots today champagne.gif

Pretty much the same as my plan. I have a little bit of “every day” wine, but generally bought “the good stuff” or wines that are “good stuff” without being acknowledged as such by the market (e.g. Edmunds St. John). I could and probably should stop now. Just buy some Champagne here and there to keep Laura happy.