Generally speaking, what type of wine is the best food wine?

Barbera Can be a
good food companion.but it very much depends of what the dish is.

Flawed poll. The OP is an idiot.

champagne.gif

Was that one of the poll options?
(Jk)

This part makes no sense to me.

Magical wine.

Brandon, I agree with you and I have had wines like this. Chianti is a great example.

Yeah I know. There’s a lot of love for it! But while it’s OK, I never buy it - seems too much like a cross between beer and wine that can’t quite decide what it wants to be. And I’m not a fan of beer, which I’ve been told is un-American!

But seriously, the alcohol level doesn’t really matter if the wine is good. I’ve had some shockingly high-alcohol wine that turned out to be really good and had I looked at the ABV beforehand, I might have had a bias that wasn’t merited. A lot of people have alcoholic drinks with dinner and they seem pretty happy.

Nor does acid seem to have all that much to do with it although I know it’s received wisdom to believe that a wine with high apparent acidity is a better wine for food than another wine. That’s another blanket statement that is very dependent on the particulars. Sometimes those wines just suck and you need a strong flavor in your food to kill the taste! And sometimes you just don’t want that acidity. Riesling for example. I love the stuff but if I had to drink it every day, or even every week, I’d be pretty unhappy. Many things are like that, chocolate for example - it’s good once in a while.

I don’t question the conventional wisdom that Champagne is the most flexible pairing.

However, if the question is what wine benefits the most from being paired with food, I find that food improves white burgundy and other high acid dry whites the most.

I’m with Greg here on Champagne or any other sparkling white for that matter. It’s not that I won’t drink it, but I don’t seek it out. I do like beer though… a lot, although not the generic macro so called lagers which is what brought me to wine in the first place.

Back to the Original question though, there is no single drink or style of drink that works across all the foods I regularly cook and eat so it is pointless being generic.

Riesling Kabinett and Barbera come to mind…

Riesling covers it all

Wine with acidity. Ask Bob Mondavi. :slight_smile:

“Generally speaking,” Champagne. It is good with just about everything.

Wine that’s dead at retail.

An almost impossible question to answer, but if I had to choose one wine that would be the only wine I would have available to drink with food it would probably be be a pinot edging out a Kabinett.

Jim: Question, what kind of bear is best?
Dwight: That’s a ridiculous question.
Jim: False. Black bear.
Dwight: That’s debatable. There are basically two schools of thought.
Jim: Fact. Bears eat beets. Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica.

93 points! [snort.gif]

So, the correct answer is 93-point wine?

Impossible to answer. Totally depends on which reviewer gave the 93 points

There’s no mention of young Vintage Port. It’s much too tannic by itself, but pair it with a steak covered in gorgonzola sauce with caramelized onions and it’s heaven.