General thread on putting together 2014 birth year wines.

My first son was also born on 2014 and I have gathered some nice ones imo. Like Alex I have some Prüm also in my cellar but also I got a case of Cantina Terlan Vorberg Riserva that will last untill 2040. Also I got some Gonon’s white’s that should last until 2031-33, but I bet the magnums can last longer. First time I visited the domaine in 2012 Jean served me blind their white from 1987 and I thought it was no more than 15 year old.
From reds I’ve got Gonon and Allemand - both regular bottles and a magnum. Quinta do Noval released also their vintage port that year so it was kind of a no brainer to get few bottles. Also I just got a bottle of Marc Hébrart Special Club which was really nice.
I’m still looking to get some sweet ones and couple of Champagnes

For reds, I bought burgundy - six packs of Rousseau and Lafarge that I assume will be too valuable to drink and that she will sell, as well as some Clavelier, Arnoux-Lachaux and Thomas Bouley to enjoy. Although I suppose that by 2035 the earth is likely to no longer be able to support grape growing in burgundy and the mosel will be producing pinot noir, so maybe all of these things will be pricey relics of a bygone era.

Burgundy - Buy from Hudelot-Noellat. They made really excellent 2014s. The Bourgogne Rouge and Villages wines are excellent, but I don’t know that they would last long enough. Premier Crus start at about $100 and the Grand Crus top out at very high prices for the Romanee St. Vivant and Richebourg - if you buy those you can adopt me and buy some for me. One that I had in Burgundy this summer that was quite good was a Chambolle-Musigny Charmes.

Mugneret-Gibourg also made great wines in 2014, but you are going to have to really pay for them.

White Burgundy - 2014 is a great, great vintage. I would not buy any to hold for 18 or more years.

Bordeaux - I liked the Montrose a good bit. I also bought a bit of Ducru and Mission Haut Brion based on price, good reviews and liking prior vintages a lot, but have not tasted them.

Sauternes - The Climens is fabulous.

California - Ridge Montebello and Geyserville are fabulous.

Germany - Here 2014 is the weakest vintage of the past few years. Buy 2015s (or even 2013s or 2010s) instead. While there are some nice 2014 Kabinetts, I would not hold them for 18+ years.

NE Patriots - If he turns out to be a Patriots fan, disown him and give the wine to a charitable auction. [smileyvault-ban.gif]

I’ve been reassessing my birth year buying strategy.Turns out most of the great French reds from 95/96( so the bordeaux’s should be very vintage/ wine dependent ) need much more time, especially in magnum.White burgundy was a total wipe out except for Leflaive. (buy in
magnum for the highest likelihood of survival ) Champagnes are showing beautifully.I didn’t appreciate reisling at the time. I did buy the 70 Vega that was released in '95.( home run )
In retrospect, I’d agree with Howard,pass on White burgundy to store more than 10 yrs, buy great earlier vintages of Bordeaux( piedmont too) that you can afford,see how '14 champagnes are,but don’t hesitate to lay down some 08’s. Go with whatever Bueker says on reislings. Buy the best year Huets you can find/afford. In the end, if your kids are into wine, they’ll appreciate great wines more than ones from their birth yr,and will continuously thank you.imho

and I’d buy 30-45 yr old Yquem,which will be perfect when they’re 21-80

Useful thread as my grand-nephew was born in 2014.

Wow, we’re really at the point of buying wine for grand-nephews now? Let’s just be honest: these wines are for us.