Gary's Wine Theft

When I was ITB some NJ stores had no mask signs for Halloween. Good idea.

The Mystic heist is close to me. Check out the Oct 20 entry by the Groton town police. It has video of suspect in Octagon’s wine room… Redirecting... .

Kind of surprising that his arrest hasn’t been reported yet (or if so, not well publicized)

Vanity plates, name, address, photos? Multiple police departments. I guess the level of crime doesn’t trigger FBI involvement.

RT

We used to have a “price changer” customer, who was pretty bold. We corrected the mistake time and again, and he kept playing the odds.

Nothing too fancy, but still…

Scott Deluca on the lamb for another week. Cops have photos, know where he lived, get-away vehicle, etc.

Maybe he’ll turn himself in?

RT

Scott Deluca, on the lamb for another month. Law enforcement appears to be asleep at the wheel or perhaps Scott’s become bait for bigger fish?

RT

I don’t think the police really care all that much. To them, he stole a few bottles of expensive wine that cost as much as an officer makes in a week or two, and only the hoity-toity can afford anyway. It’s not a murder, right? neener

Well he seems to have gotten around, so most likely no longer lives at his last known locations, and is on the run. It’s not as easy to find someone that is mobile and has even a little bit of knowledge on how to lay low. I would assume an arrest warrant or want is in the system if he gets stopped. Until then, he’s probably still stealing from people.

And yes, it’s all about prioritization. A small dollar amount theft isn’t going to get the same resources allocated to it as your million dollar thief or murder.

Interesting Andy. From what I understand, the guy is probably over $100k+ in high end wine thefts…no one big incident, spread out throughout the Northeast US. The authorities seem to have an awful lot of info about him…and if he’s not cooperating, he’s certainly mobile, laying low and likely staying away from Wynantskill, NY. There’re arrest warrants issued in NJ, NY and CT.

RT

Just to be clear…he’s NOT from Wynantskill. He is an addict that was stealing to support his habit. There’s a fence behind the places and bottles being stolen. I’m not making excuses just he’s got an addiction that makes him vulnerable to do stupid things to support his addiction.

So you’re only post here, and you joined today, is to defend him. Please tell us what your relationship to him is.

As if that matters? These thefts are indefensible.

If he’s got an addiction, that’s his own fault too. Addiction is NOT a disease he contracted, it’s a choice he made. Personally, I find that stealing to feed a habit makes the situation even more contemptible.

Ana, welcome to WB. Hopefully you can add to the board’s content about wine.

As unfortunate as Scott Deluca’s personal circumstances might be, he and his criminal contacts have broken the law in a manner that’s particularly objectionable to many here…perhaps less severe than crimes with direct physical harm to people, but nowhere near moral high ground.

It seems like you might know him. If he hasn’t, it might be a good idea for him to consider the bigger picture with respect to staying “underground”. It’s not a promising way to lead one’s life and unlikely to help with any drug addiction.

RT

I am not defending his actions…I’m clarifying the reason behind the thefts. Some people think it’s funny…it’s not. Addiction IS a disease. …perhaps it was his choice to pick up a drug, but once introduced to his body it takes over. You don’t know everything about him…you only know what has been reported. He is a disabled veteran…he fought for our country…and now his country is laughing at his actions here instead of reading his post and saying “he’s got a problem that I hope he gets help with”. It’s obvious that after being all over the news, his wine thefts will cease…have some compassion is all I ask and thank God that you or your family member isn’t an addict.

Oh, and as far a d your board goes, I am a wine drinker and do not have a lot of knowledge about what makes a great wine vs a crap wine…I only know what I like and what my body doesn’t have a bad reaction to…so learning about wine is something I can take away from your board.

My one wine theft story is that I ordered several cases of empty wine bottles from More WineMaking, to bottle my homemade wine I make every year. I think I ordered a bag of corks with it. This was maybe two years ago.

So the bottles are left by my front door, and they get stolen before I get home. Which was a bummer, but also (a) it was kind of a relief that the one time something like this was stolen from my front door, it was something of so little value, and (b) I have to chuckle imagining the thief getting home and saying “WTF, all I got was a bunch of empty wine bottles and a bag of corks?”

[I don’t have actual wine left at my front door, that comes to my office mail room.]

Ana, if you’re so concerned about him and his addiction, you should turn him in to the police. He’ll get treatment while in prison.

Thanks John…I would if I could…I don’t know where he is…and prison doesn’t help with addiction…it only allows one to detox…

Him being a veteran has nothing to do with his actions. I am sick of people who use that as a way to get sympathy when they do wrong. He’s a thief, period. Apparently a drug user also. If you really think he’ll stop stealing because he’s in the news I’ve got a bridge to sell you.

Please answer the question as to what your relationship is to him, please.