Gary's Wine & Marketplace in NJ

Gary,

Thank you for the note. As I noted in my second post above, I’m sure this was just a one off bad experience, and can clearly tell from your response here that you run your stores with the utmost professionalism. I’m going to delete this thread, as I’m not sure its productive at this point, but I just wanted to thank you for taking the time to respond.

Sincerely,
Mike

Which Bottle King do you frequent? I’ve been a regular at the Ramsay store for three years now, and they have lots of top-flight stuff from California and Europe. But I’ve heard that the stores vary a lot in the quality of their selections.

Hillsborough and Princeton mostly. Have also been to East Windsor and Wayne looking for stock. Like I said, always worth a look.

I never really shopped there but I interviewed with Gary in 2004 when I was planning my move from Boston. It wasn’t a fit at the time but I got the impression that the team in Madison was very professional.

Mike, I doubt this thread will be deleted because it’s a teaching tool on how to handle customer service issues and it does have value. You might want to consider restoring your OP. Sorry about your experience, in retail you always want to foster a learning environment for customers. I’m sure it was a one off and the issue will be corrected.

Pretty certain he bought the Dean and Deluca in Napa that i always stop at

Yep, he did. Place looks great.

Mike,

2 things-

1. Your post and experience led to an even greater outcome. I saw this too late to say anything (you original post is gone) but…

2. as you can see, Gary’s a great guy. He cares deeply about his business. I hope you give him another chance. I live kind of far from Wayne, but any time I’m in the area, I stop by. HUGE selection, and I always find a ton of gems.

To share how great of a guy Gary is, he and I always maintained a very cordial and friendly relationship when I worked at Wine Library (and yes, it continues today!). He’s one of the good ones.

2 Likes

Had a very good experience with Gary’s in Wayne this week. It was a significant purchase and the level of customer service was outstanding. Excellent communication. Hadn’t purchased from Gary’s for a long time - no particular reason, just didn’t. After this week, I have put the store(s) back near the top of my preferred retailers. Always good to give business to a retailer who appreciates their customers’ business.